Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 06:10   #346

Boat: Redbay Boats 950-E
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Most sailboaters are dickheads.
Most powerboaters are dickheads.
Most people are dickheads.
Amen to that! Certainly no evidence of a global shortage any time soon

I bet when sailboaters and powerboaters are driving their vehicles to the dock in the morning - the breakdown of dickheadedness is pretty much 50/50.

Of course - we powerboaters have our uses too - that's a natural smirk I have going there BTW....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh yeah....jpg
Views:	98
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	166853  
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:23   #347

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Before freaking out, measure their speed.

Planing hulls can throw a larger wake at slow speeds, but nevertheless the rules are that they must go at 5 knots, so they do and it can generate a big wake.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:33   #348

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Before freaking out, measure their speed.

Planing hulls can throw a larger wake at slow speeds, but nevertheless the rules are that they must go at 5 knots, so they do and it can generate a big wake anyway.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 16:41   #349
CLOD

Boat: none

Yesterday at 5am in the nice fairly calm anchorage I had been in for for 3 days I was awoke when I suddenly was tossed out of bed. I proceeded to hold on as things flew out tables, fell out of shelves, etc. (granted I was rigged for sea here in the riverfront). When it was safe, a long time later) I went outside to look at what caused this:

It wasn’t a sailboat, it was a 100’ motor yacht cutting through the anchorage to save the 100’ to have gone around to get to the marina.

So clueless or doesn’t give a crap?
Old 23-05-2018, 17:00   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That'd be both.

I was actually out moving one day recently at 1100 when this huge mega yacht came storming along off my starboard bow. I saw him from a long way away. I was motoring at six knots, he was going perhaps 12. As the situation developed, it was clear I was the burdened vessel and I turned to starboard to offset the collision course we were on and to make it clear to him that I was staying out of his way. Soon after I did and opened up the bearing, he turned to port!!! WTF? I turned further, and so did he. Not fun playing chicken with a 200 foot "pleasure craft." There were no constraints, open water. So instead of going way, way in front of me,

or even trying to go behind me, he ended up going as close in front of me as he could. HUGE wake. Lovely dude. Clueless? Maybe not. Arrogant? You betcha.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:07   #351

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Stu,

Are Paintball guns considered a weapon in Canada?
Just askin'...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:17   #352
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That'd be both.

I was actually out moving one day recently at 1100 when this huge mega yacht came storming along off my starboard bow. I saw him from a long way away. I was motoring at six knots, he was going perhaps 12. As the situation developed, it was clear I was the burdened vessel and I turned to starboard to offset the collision course we were on and to make it clear to him that I was staying out of his way. Soon after I did and opened up the bearing, he turned to port!!! WTF? I turned further, and so did he. Not fun playing chicken with a 200 foot "pleasure craft." There were no constraints, open water. So instead of going way, way in front of me,

or even trying to go behind me, he ended up going as close in front of me as he could. HUGE wake. Lovely dude. Clueless? Maybe not. Arrogant? You betcha.
It is really difficult for me to relate to or understand this kind of action by another boater. What can be going on in their little brain? If the guy driving wasn't totally clueless then I would say arrogant is a gross understatement. That wake could have caused damage or injury and borders on criminal.

Did you try radio contact with the other boat?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 20:06   #353

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
It is really difficult for me to relate to or understand this kind of action by another boater. What can be going on in their little brain? If the guy driving wasn't totally clueless then I would say arrogant is a gross understatement. That wake could have caused damage or injury and borders on criminal.

Did you try radio contact with the other boat?
With a vessel of that size the skipper is likely a pro with some sort of ticket, and a career to think about. If you were able to catch the name of the offending vessel, a written report to the CG will have repercussions, and perhaps alter his attitude in the future.

No one particularly likes to be a tattle-tale, but in egregious situations it is justified IMO. Lives and or significant property losses can be at stake!

Jim
Old 24-05-2018, 07:30   #354

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yesterday at 5am in the nice fairly calm anchorage I had been in for for 3 days I was awoke when I suddenly was tossed out of bed. I proceeded to hold on as things flew out tables, fell out of shelves, etc. (granted I was rigged for sea here in the riverfront). When it was safe, a long time later) I went outside to look at what caused this:

It wasn’t a sailboat, it was a 100’ motor yacht cutting through the anchorage to save the 100’ to have gone around to get to the marina.

Your summation is probably spot on for the majority of wakes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 05:32   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That'd be both.

A lot of times, when I see powerboats causing havic with enormous wakes hundreds of feet behind them, I wonder the same thing;
1) are they that ignorant of how their boat operates,and the wake it generates,
2) or is it that they are so arrogant, and lacking in empathy for others, that they just don’t care?

I guess you would have to know them to know which one it was.
Old 27-05-2018, 05:49   #356
CLOD

Boat: none

That guy was clueless or not caring. He did it on purpose. There is road rage out on the water, which is why torpedoes aren’t standard boat options.
Old 27-05-2018, 06:09   #357
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If there are A-holes in the general population why would one assume there wouldn't be in the boater population as well....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:00   #358

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
If there are A-holes in the general population why would one assume there wouldn't be in the boater population as well....
Point well taken. The question is why so many are power boaters.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:53   #359

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Because they have the "power" to make it evident that they are an ahole.
An ahole in a sailboat has fewer tools to so dramatically affect others in a negative way without putting in huge effort or risk to himself.
They are everywhere, and most are drawn to the venues that allow them to affect others(guessing it's a power trip kinda thing) or to have a level of control over others.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 08:00   #360

Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Point well taken. The question is why so many are power boaters.
Turn signals.
I think drivers who fail to use turn signals have a similar mis-wired brain that prevents self-awareness or even empathy. If you drive a BMW, you are more likely to skip the turn signal in my city, according to my unscientific survey.
Perhaps power boaters who throw wakes have the same brain problem, unaware or uncaring of the effect of their actions upon others.
I’ll bet the same types will also toss their trash into the street.
“I’m the only one in the world today...”
(Sing to Its a Small World music)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat