Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 05:20   #256
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Boaters spend thousands of dollars for generators. You don't believe they should make use of the investment? One has to grin and bear it (or move anchorage) but hope the generation isn't constant. Same can be said for noisy windmills.

From one who doesn't have a generator or windmill.
I have read a lot of posts from cruisers that seem like they need to leave the county if a boat cranks a generator anywhere in a harbor. Now the situation like senormechanical I would be pretty annoyed.

I have been docked in a marina feet away from a boat running a generator that had the water cooling splashing all night right next to my hatch and that sound doesn't bother me at all. The whoosh, splash of the exhaust is a little more noticeable but most of these aren't that loud and if a boat is anchored a safe distance away the noise would not be a concern.

Then there was the 65' sport fisherman in the Bahamas last year that must have had a 100-200 kW generator and some insane exhaust system. The thing sounded like a jet engine winding up for takeoff just slightly less loud.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:52   #257

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

For us, it wasn't that much about the noise, we couldn't BREATHE !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:22   #258
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
For us, it wasn't that much about the noise, we couldn't BREATHE !
Yes I thought about that but forgot to mention in my post. Sucking exhaust gas all night. Not only unpleasant but probably quite unhealthy as well.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:05   #259
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I went over with the dinghy to politely ask them to reanchor and they told me to pound sand, but not in such polite terms.
Were you truly expecting a different outcome
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36   #260

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Actually not.
They probably had the "I'm rich, so I can sit on your head if I feel like it."
Their actions just confirmed it, and with the wind being on our nose, they were sitting over our anchor.
We couldn't have moved without actually PUSHING their boat off position.

Grrr... is pisses me off just remembering it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:53   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Were you truly expecting a different outcome
Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but I would have gone expecting a better outcome, just not surprised to get the one that came. And, I have most of the time gotten a positive response in similar situations but occasionally get some equivalent of the finger.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:55   #262

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

We ran into this problem on the Erie canal at a free dock. We docked, went to town and came back to a powerboater docked stern to us not 4 feet away from our aft cabin (ports open at the time!) when we approached him about it he just said I need to run my generator for my fridge. When I told him we sleep in the aft and would prefer not to wake up dead he said the gen running would be fine! after alot of words about CO poisoning his other crew agreed it was a good idea to turn off the generator!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:48   #263

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

While it may not prevent a particular incident, I find that loud baroque music, loud crew, clanging halyards and air horns at 6am the following morning work wonders for my mental health.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:57   #264

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
You poor baby!

You realize, I hope, that just by your thread title, you have pissed off and insulted half or more of the recreational boaters in the world. You have also posted an insulting and stupid stereotype.

Would it be fair of me to post that sail boaters are thieves because they pull into marinas after hours, fill their water tanks, dump their garbage and use the marina showers and then leave in the morning before the marina opens?

Would it be fair of me to post that sail boaters are inconsiderate and stupid because the organize races and circle in front of river entrances, keeping other boaters out or trapped in the river?

How about inconsiderate because they leave their rigging clanging and keeping other boaters awake at night?

No, of course it wouldn't be fair to stereotype all sail boaters but that's exactly what you are doing, stereotyping all power boaters.

So a few boaters waked you. Get over it, it happens all the time and they wake me as well. Just like natural waves, this is part of boating. Be on the lookout and take appropriate action.
Old 06-10-2017, 13:42   #265

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You poor baby!

You realize, I hope, that just by your thread title, you have pissed off and insulted half or more of the recreational boaters in the world. You have also posted an insulting and stupid stereotype.

Would it be fair of me to post that sail boaters are thieves because they pull into marinas after hours, fill their water tanks, dump their garbage and use the marina showers and then leave in the morning before the marina opens?

Would it be fair of me to post that sail boaters are inconsiderate and stupid because the organize races and circle in front of river entrances, keeping other boaters out or trapped in the river?

How about inconsiderate because they leave their rigging clanging and keeping other boaters awake at night?

No, of course it wouldn't be fair to stereotype all sail boaters but that's exactly what you are doing, stereotyping all power boaters.

So a few boaters waked you. Get over it, it happens all the time and they wake me as well. Just like natural waves, this is part of boating. Be on the lookout and take appropriate action.
Ron, again we agree.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 13:42   #266
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Get over it, it happens all the time and they wake me as well.
So is it because they are clueless or is it because they don't give a crap?
Old 06-10-2017, 13:52   #267

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
So is it because they are clueless or is it because they don't give a crap?
Ron was just making the point that smudge pot or rag wagon people can't be stereotyped. I would almost bet the offensive people are short term boaters?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:24   #268

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

About 12 years ago when we had our Hunter 30 out on anchor, a 40+ something sailboat decided to anchor very close to us. Well sailboat or no, he had a on onboard genny and he ran it with intentions I believe of running it all night for his AC.

The genny wasn't loud but the water pulsating out the genny's exhaust was annoying. I pulled the anchor in darkness and moved. Now are all or at least most sailboaters clueless???? Of course not!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:30   #269

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
You poor baby!

They wouldn't be thieves because none of the above acts are thievery. Maybe you need to read a dictionary.
Quote:
What a ridiculous claim. If it is a channel you can simply sail through following the normal rules.
Quote:
Yes, this is annoying, also very easy to prevent.
Quote:
There is a major flaw in your logic.

The reefs are dying, the storms are worse than ever before. This is cause of power boaters. Sailboats that use engine are powerboats.

These people are to blame, and what they are doing is wrong. If you use a powerboat, a sailboat with engine, or just a generator, this is ungood. I could care less about the annoying things sailboats do; these are trivial in comparison.

So I would say, yes, powerboaters are selfish lazy thieves. They are stealing the future. In fact there is no reason for them since sails were proven since ancient times.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:42   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ron was just making the point that smudge pot or rag wagon people can't be stereotyped. I would almost bet the offensive people are short term boaters?
And a good point it is. I did half the Okeechobee waterway a few days ahead of Hurricane Irma. In a displacement hull sloop I was passed by maybe 50 recreational powerboaters. Most boats were running WOT and in a hurry. I'm going to say 48 of the 50 slowed down to minimum wake while passing me despite the obvious urgency to get to destinations and prepare.

And for my part I or my crew spotted maybe 48 of 50 coming up from astern before they got close and we hugged over towards the starboard bank to give them plenty of the canal.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat