Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 12:23   #151

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sailboat (with poorly-trimmed mainsail) showing disdain toward power boats?:

No wonder he is disdaining them... they are invisible!

Just what is the point of this picture and statement?

Jim (who agrees that idiots and jerks come in all sorts of watercraft)
Old 29-09-2016, 12:28   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
I got into sailing cause I wanted to get away from all the idiots .. Only to find out the sea is also plagued with them.

. . .

That sailing couple obliviously enjoying their downwind sail straight into me as I frantically issued a SECURITE on ch. 16 warning all vessels to avoid me cause my boom had just fallen off and we couldn't maneuver easily in force 5 winds.. Even after I called them by name asking them to please alter their course a few degrees to avoid us.. No answer .. Nothing was going to deter these folks from enjoying their downwind sailing..

. . .

There is just no escape .. The idiots are everywhere. Sorry
Yikes; I'm glad I'm sailing in a different part of the world from you. No doubt something I do would have you condemning me as an idiot as well.

As to the fallen off boom and the Securite call --

If a sailboat not maintaining a good VHF radio watch when daysailing in in-shore waters, makes the crew "idiots", then that covers about 2/3 of the boats on the water.

Unless you are seriously disabled and showing NUC day shapes, you remain fully obligated to maneuver according to COLREGS, which means getting your sails down and starting your engine if necessary, whether or not the other vessel received your radio call.

So, if you find yourself in a situation like that again, rather than wasting your time and nerves cursing the other sailor, you might want to consider getting your engine started and doing what the COLREGS require of you. Fuming about how the other skipper is managing his boat, while a risk of collision is developing, is unseamanlike, and distracts you from the job of preventing a collision.

Good luck and stay safe.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 12:49   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

In general, Dockhead, I agree that putting up dayshapes for Not Under Command would alleviate some problems. People would come up to my little boat and ask - "Hey, what are those things in your rigging?" No one in my piece of the world knows what those things mean anymore, even if they have a captains license.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 12:55   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
In general, Dockhead, I agree that putting up dayshapes for Not Under Command would alleviate some problems. People would come up to my little boat and ask - "Hey, what are those things in your rigging?" No one in my piece of the world knows what those things mean anymore, even if they have a captains license.
All the more reason to get the sails down and maneuver, rather than fuming at all the "idiots" around.

The sign of real professionalism in collision avoidance is total absence of concern about how the other vessel is managed, and total concentration on the task. It only takes one well-managed vessel to smoothly and easily avoid a collision.

It's all in a day's work for a real pro to smoothly unwind a risk of collision situation, with a vessel being badly managed or maneuvered contrary to the Rules, and even a matter of certain pride and satisfaction.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-09-2016, 13:17   #155

Boat: Malö 40H

So basically you are saying that not maintaining a radio watch on 16 is not a big deal ? Yeah I sure hope we are sailing on different oceans ..

For the record this happened 1 mile south east from Tarifa in the straight of Gibraltar .. One of the busiest waterways in the world . Sure who cares what all those people are jammering about on the VHF..

Ah whatever .. I am learning that the only thing left to do is avoid everyone and let it rub off .. Like now ;-) cheers!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 13:18   #156

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

This past summer I was returning to port under sail.

A powerboat was overtaking me from my starboard stern towing a small sailboat with a kid aboard. No doubt, it was one of those situations that the kid really didn't know how to sail, and couldn't make it back upwind, so somebody had to go get him.

As he came up it was clear (apparently to both of us) that we were more or less on a collision course. I was rather surprised when he took out a whistle and blew three short blasts and then told me to give way since he was towing and had right of way.

I ignored him. He did it again. I told him that he did not have right of way, and to bear off. So he did it again. And again. I considered giving him a five-blast response, that would have looked good on the report. But in the end I fell off tack and let the retard go by.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 14:27   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
So basically you are saying that not maintaining a radio watch on 16 is not a big deal ? . . .
Not saying that at all. I'm saying that not maintaining radio watch is the rule when you're dealing with pleasure boats sailing in inshore waters. It's simply the reality we have to deal with.

And anyway you don't have any right to expect someone to hear your VHF call, and you don't have any right to expect someone to maneuver to avoid you even if they do hear your VHF call, so long as you are not officially NUC. VHF plays no role in formal collision avoidance procedure -- everyone is supposed to know what to do without chattering on the radio.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-09-2016, 17:09   #158

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
................ VHF plays no role in formal collision avoidance procedure -- everyone is supposed to know what to do without chattering on the radio.
In the USA, on the AICW, it is common and customary to call slower boats on the VHF and arrange for a slow pass. I don't think that should be considered "chattering".
Old 29-09-2016, 17:15   #159

Boat: Bristol 27

This whole thread just supports the idea of starting out on a smaller boat.

Wakes are just not a big deal when you are on a heavy monohull like my 6600 lbs Bristol 27.

Also, I was noticing the other day how high the booms were on some boats. They seemed to be way to high....

My background is Beach Cats and small power boats.............

Boom height is a bit lower on a beach cat

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:22   #160
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
This past summer I was returning to port under sail.

A powerboat was overtaking me from my starboard stern towing a small sailboat with a kid aboard. No doubt, it was one of those situations that the kid really didn't know how to sail, and couldn't make it back upwind, so somebody had to go get him.

As he came up it was clear (apparently to both of us) that we were more or less on a collision course. I was rather surprised when he took out a whistle and blew three short blasts and then told me to give way since he was towing and had right of way.

I ignored him. He did it again. I told him that he did not have right of way, and to bear off. So he did it again. And again. I considered giving him a five-blast response, that would have looked good on the report. But in the end I fell off tack and let the retard go by.
So you challenged the guy thereby putting a kid at risk, ....... mature.
Old 29-09-2016, 17:28   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
So you challenged the guy thereby putting a kid at risk, ....... mature.
You have to understand that sailboaters have the right of way no matter what.
Old 29-09-2016, 23:36   #162

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You have to understand that sailboaters have the right of way no matter what.

Err .. Was that tongue in cheek? I sure hope so.

Anyhow.. This story sort of illustrates what I am trying to say. Collregs aside there are situations where switching on your smarts really should take precedence. If I see a guy hauling some kid on a small sailboat .. Just let them pass... what's the point of a standoff? Or some folks just trying to keep into the wind after their boom fell off to recover their sails.. I can alter course and give them some space. Or that tourist boat just being driven by a guy who just wants to end his shift and go home to his family? Don't cut him off at the harbour entrance...

It's called being a good person. A quality just as rare on the ocean as on land and missing in as many powerboaters as sailors ..
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 00:56   #163

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I think it a reflection on todays society. .why should i care about anybody but myself...sad
For me? A successful day is one with no damage or injury. I do anything that achieves that goal.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 00:58   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
In the USA, on the AICW, it is common and customary to call slower boats on the VHF and arrange for a slow pass. I don't think that should be considered "chattering".
I didn't say that VHF is useless, and didn't say that all radio comms are chatter.

Arranging a slow pass is not collision avoidance so not relevant.

My point was different -- that VHF calls are not part of formal collision avoidance procedure, and that you shouldn't be working collision avoidance in a way that it breaks down because your call is not heard. The system is designed specifically to work without any communication between the vessels involved other than horn, whistle and bell signals, lights and day shapes.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-09-2016, 05:49   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
.......... The system is designed specifically to work without any communication between the vessels involved other than horn, whistle and bell signals, lights and day shapes.
It's the norm in my area for one ship (or boat) to call another on the VHF, identify itself and the situation and then arrange a pass on "one whistle" or "two whistles". Sometimes they will say "I''ll keep it to the green (or red) side." (of the channel). They never actually "blow" the whistles or horns.

The whistle or horn thing works OK if there are only two vessels in sight of each other and the situation is fairly clear such as two vessels approaching each other in a canal or river. In a harbor with a half a dozen vessels going in several directions, the sound signals would be confusing at best. Who sounded the horn and who was it directed at?

The only times I still hear horns used is in some cases where a vessel is leaving a dock or backing out of a dock. Cases where the signal is a general warning to any and all other vessels. Other than that, fog, and the danger signal, the radio has made the horn or whistle obsolete.

Tags
power boat