Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 10:04   #46
cruiser

Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Honestly, I'm surprised so many on this forum get annoyed so easily. My wife and I don't give the passing boat wake issue a second thought, it's just something anyone who spends time on the water needs to get used to.

Reminds me of my cycling days, when some of my friends would get all worked up over cars not giving them the room on the road they felt they deserved, and would start yelling at the cars and fighting with the drivers. I've never once done this in over twenty years of cycling, because it doesn't do any good and it wrecks your otherwise peaceful ride. The cars really don't see the cyclists in most cases, just as the powerboaters are totally unaware of their wakes.

Just let it go of it, and enjoy the day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:08   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I bet everybody here is old enough and wise enough to know ******** come in all flavor's.
I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:23   #48

Having worked as a U.S. Coast Guard licensed captain for 20 years I can tell you, without fear of contradiction, that the waters are covered with idiots on ALL types of water craft.
Old 25-09-2016, 10:27   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised so many on this forum get annoyed so easily. My wife and I don't give the passing boat wake issue a second thought, it's just something anyone who spends time on the water needs to get used to.

Reminds me of my cycling days, when some of my friends would get all worked up over cars not giving them the room on the road they felt they deserved, and would start yelling at the cars and fighting with the drivers. I've never once done this in over twenty years of cycling, because it doesn't do any good and it wrecks your otherwise peaceful ride. The cars really don't see the cyclists in most cases, just as the powerboaters are totally unaware of their wakes.

Just let it go of it, and enjoy the day.
I agree with enjoy the day, but when you have the same a-hole blowing by you four times it is hard to do. I grew up on power boats and was taught differently.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:35   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I agree with enjoy the day, but when you have the same a-hole blowing by you four times it is hard to do.. . .
Hard to do, but still the correct response to the situation.

We do this for pleasure, so it is absolutely absolutely paramount to achieving our purpose to avoid aggravating ourselves unnecessarily.

Just roll with the punches (so to speak) and forget about it.

Another point of view on wakes: I'm always appreciative when large power boats slow down when passing in an attempt to lessen their wake effect on us, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't make any difference. It might even be better if they keep the hammer down, as the event is over more quickly. I have not noticed that the wakes are less forceful, if the boat slows down.

Of course -- where we sail, we get a lot of rough sea conditions. So a powerboat wake is just not, inherently, such a big deal to us, compared to the hammering we often get out to sea.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:36   #51

Boat: Catalina 30

Where's the Coast Guard patrol when you need them? If a few more of 'dees guys" would receive citations, well, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all....
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:06   #52

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I've occasionally put out a securitie call on 16 stating the boat name, position and that vessel "X" is being driven erratically. If there is law enforcement around, this will get their attention. At least some of the time the offending vessels slow down. But there is another point that hasn't been raised. These large wakes in narrow channels cause massive shoreline erosion , and eventually all of this ends up in the deep channel, requiring extensive and expensive dredging and the like
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:33   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I agree with enjoy the day, but when you have the same a-hole blowing by you four times it is hard to do. I grew up on power boats and was taught differently.
You need to let go.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:52   #54

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The wakes can rock power as well as sail at anchor....and the truth is after living aboard now for this long...if you can't get used to the wake rock without nutting up....you had better sale the boat, because it's just part of the Cruising Game.
Once again a voice of reason Rich. I have been on the 72 Nordlund in the power out channel and had small sailboats cut in front of me in a no sail area. Paddle boarders and kayakers also will paddle in front of you and stop to look at something. I prefer to sail but have to say inexperience and lack of knowledge of the rules knows no particular boat type. We are sailors and should be able to handle a 4 foot wake if we expect to handle the open ocean. Remember the primary coast guard rule "there will be no collisions at sea" If you have the right of way and see another vessel approach and do not avoid him if you can you are partially responsible.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:20   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
My theory is there is an inverse relationship between the number/size of engines and number of bow thrusters and ..........seamanship.
Just an observation of handling of stink boats.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:36   #56

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

justification for schooling and licensing for anyone using any boat with a motor. I am all for licensing. you have to have a license to drive a car or fly an airplane, so what's the difference?
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:36   #57

I've been taking boats up and down the eastern seaboard for almost fifty years now. Back in the day I don't recall a power boat ever slowing down when passing ( on the ICW); now they almost all do. I'll slow to idle to allow the overtaking boat to get by as quickly as possible. So, I'd say these stink-pot skippers are NOT clueless.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 13:14   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to let go.
It isn't that big a deal once or twice. Four times gets somewhat annoying. I suspect that one incident was a broker trying to impress a buyer. On the other hand, going across the Okeechobee ditch, same trip. I heard a couple of big diesel throttle down well aft to insure no wave. and fired back up well after passing my 7kns. A head boat/party boat the captain was a gentleman. Red hull named Nantucket Light. Hailed him on the radio with a thanks. I tried hailing the other one with less that civil language.

As if anyone cares about someone else's memories. Just a point in case. There are considerate power boaters and also A-holes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:19   #59
CLOD

Boat: none

Today we watched a speed boat, you know one of those gas driven can hear you from 10 miles away while you make you penis larger boats, blow through a bunch on 12ers racing. At the speed he was going I bet going around would have taken about 30 seconds!

This morning a car carrier ferry passed me in the narrowest part of the channel while I was already doing more than the posted speed limit. But at least be didn't really make much of a wake.
Old 25-09-2016, 14:29   #60

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

cashed up and clueless / a type of punk without the spiky hair and the piercings
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat