Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 11:40   #376
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Army sounds nice, in the Navy it took 1000 thataboys to erase 1 ahshit
Old 27-05-2018, 11:43   #377
S/V rubber ducky

Even been in the anchorage where it is group think of the powerboaters to race by and make wakes? You know where 90+% of them are just gunning it!

Clueless or Don’t Give a **** for anyone else?
Old 27-05-2018, 12:00   #378

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, but it seems the most memorable were the one or two that were not.
Had a saying in the Army, one ah sh** moment erased 100 atta boys.

The powerboaters that I have had issues were almost 100% of the time were easily recognizable as the ones who had the expensive water front houses and other accouterments of wealth, Boat was just another one.
We have all seen them older guy with a northern accent and one or maybe even two much, much younger women hanging onto him.

I watched a kid who flew a Net jet, a rent by the hour jet. He was refiling the flight Plan cause the renter was late, and hadnít called to tell him when to expect to leave, renter showed up, demanded the pilot to grab the bags, then proceeded to berate him cause he had gotten the wrong bottled water after ďBuffyĒ complained. See she only drank Perrier, and apparently the pilot was told that. Of course I was there cause the weather was way too bad for us to fly, this kid had his hands full, he didnít need to worry about what kind of water.
This guy when he goes down to Ft Lauderdale, is going to act the same way on his Yacht. Donít dare call it a boat, do you know who he is?
I'm a carpet bagger. I've been in the south for 52 years. Where did I screw up with younger, younger women. Never had a problem with the accent, which I still posses. People treat you like you treat them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 13:34   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That'd be both.

I was actually out moving one day recently at 1100 when this huge mega yacht came storming along off my starboard bow. I saw him from a long way away. I was motoring at six knots, he was going perhaps 12. As the situation developed, it was clear I was the burdened vessel and I turned to starboard to offset the collision course we were on and to make it clear to him that I was staying out of his way. Soon after I did and opened up the bearing, he turned to port!!! WTF? I turned further, and so did he. Not fun playing chicken with a 200 foot "pleasure craft." There were no constraints, open water. So instead of going way, way in front of me,

or even trying to go behind me, he ended up going as close in front of me as he could. HUGE wake. Lovely dude. Clueless? Maybe not. Arrogant? You betcha.

It certainly appears that some really do go out of their way to allow us maximum appreciation of their wake!

Which recently produced a quite satisfying result. Due to our very shallow draught, we sometimes take shortcuts outside the marked channels in the Great Sandy straits, an area which we are very familiar with
A big powerboat recently also ventured well out of the marked channel, apparently so we could better experience the thrill of his wake, and ran aground.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 14:38   #380

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It certainly appears that some really do go out of their way to allow us maximum appreciation of their wake!

Which recently produced a quite satisfying result. Due to our very shallow draught, we sometimes take shortcuts outside the marked channels in the Great Sandy straits, an area which we are very familiar with
A big powerboat recently also ventured well out of the marked channel, apparently so we could better experience the thrill of his wake, and ran aground.
Good one! I'd have paid a quarter to watch that.

Jim
Old 27-05-2018, 15:14   #381

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good one! I'd have paid a quarter to watch that.

Jim
+1
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 00:12   #382

I once had a sailing instructor who claimed that every boater in the marina was an a-hole because they were always flipping him off. Then we did our MOB drills with that fancy figure-8 sailing maneuver... 6 times (one for each student)... IN A CROWDED CHANNEL. (Thankfully I donít think the instructor owned a power boat)

Learning what NOT to do can be a good lesson. Itís not always taught intentionally, though.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 02:56   #383

Was in a very pleasant peaceful anchorage several years ago with about eight yachts and a couple of power boats. All seemed well behaved and we looked forward to a peaceful night.
But just on dark a power boat turned up with a guy at the bow anchor with an inflated belly and a face like a pound of beef steak who wouldn't even look at us and certainly didn't acknowledge our wave of greeting. He anchored about 20-25 metres away from us and with his 8 or so mates spent until about 1.00am playing loud music and getting more and more boozed.
Generally I don't mind people having loud boozy parties, even been to a few myself, but why choose the most peaceful spot around where others obviously hope to and reasonably expect to spend a quiet night? Then there's the large launches that turn up in quiet anchorages and run their noisy generators all night. If they can afford boats that size surely they can afford a few decent batteries.
Generally I don't have a very high opinion of power boaties although actually lots of them are pretty good. It's just the few bad ones spoil it for all.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 03:14   #384

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinco View Post
Was in a very pleasant peaceful anchorage several years ago with about eight yachts and a couple of power boats. All seemed well behaved and we looked forward to a peaceful night.
But just on dark a power boat turned up with a guy at the bow anchor with an inflated belly and a face like a pound of beef steak who wouldn't even look at us and certainly didn't acknowledge our wave of greeting.
Did you it a spot light on him to get that sort of detail?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 11:40   #385

How funny to see this thread after the experiences this past Saturday!

We took the boat down from Haverstraw NY to Great Kills for a fun trip through the harbor.

We kept our distance from everyone during the trip, and had no issues at all with crossing through the various trouble areas.

Lower bay was also quite pleasant and allowed us to get 5-6kts on a close-haul for the last stretch.

Well! First time at Great Kills and not being familiar with the kind-of-narrow channel, we were in for quite a surprise to find power boats overtaking us going 10-20 knots when we were going as fast as we could under power (5.5 knots or so).

Also very surprising to see people fishing off the back of their boats while heading into the channel.

We "only" ran aground twice, which was fun. One time the helmsman made an honest mistake and tried to cut a turn a bit too quickly.

The other time we were trying to stay as far to port as we could as to not get too close to the many overtaking vessels and the low tide was not forgiving.

We have a swing keel C25, so was easy to get off the sandy bottom. I don't think we did any damage, or at least I hope not!

However, there were plenty of other powerboats and sailboats on the bay that were more than courteous. I think those who were being reckless were just having too good a time.

Did not bother me much, but I am hoping for much less of a spectacle this coming weekend when we have a few sailors aboard who get a little more nervous about these things.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 21:11   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Did you it a spot light on him to get that sort of detail?
Dusk was approaching but there was still very adequate natural light to see each other well from 20-25 meters distance. Spotlight wouldn't have made it any better.
I only mentioned that episode because it was the most jarring bit of 3 weeks very pleasant cruising.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 06:16   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Because they have the "power" to make it evident that they are an ahole.
An ahole in a sailboat has fewer tools to so dramatically affect others in a negative way without putting in huge effort or risk to himself.
They are everywhere, and most are drawn to the venues that allow them to affect others(guessing it's a power trip kinda thing) or to have a level of control over others.
You can only cause so much damage going six knots in a displacement hull.

But, I think powerboats instill a false sense of confidence in many because it appears to a novice to simply be like driving a big car on the water. Any idiot can push a throttle down and steer. It does take some intelligence to actually sail a boat.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:45   #388

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You can only cause so much damage going six knots in a displacement hull.

But, I think powerboats instill a false sense of confidence in many because it appears to a novice to simply be like driving a big car on the water. Any idiot can push a throttle down and steer. It does take some intelligence to actually sail a boat.

That's the same idiot you see hard aground.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 13:59   #389
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That's the same idiot you see hard aground.
I saw that guy yesterday going into Reedville Va. Seatow was there and we saw the search and rescue boat going out to help. We listened a while on the radio till we lost interest or concern. We did check the charts for where he was (waaaaaaaaay out of the channel) and it was 3í , but heard on the radio that there was a ďHumpĒ there.

This morning as we left he was still there.

Iím sorry for him, ........... almost.
Old 30-05-2018, 14:16   #390

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

I spent this weekend (48 hrs.) listening to the incessant but enchanting sounds of a sailboat's clanging halyards. Ah, such a wonderful sound.

There were about 25 sailboats in total, only one clanging away. Can you imagine all 25 clanging away, such bliss.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat