Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 13:42   #301
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: St Kitts for now
Boat: Lagoon 410
Posts: 97
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

__________________
Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know.
InTheDish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:43   #302
Registered User
 
Idylles15.5's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northport NY
Boat: Idylles 15.5
Posts: 344
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

You guys are kidding right? My point was and is that its not only the new boaters that may not have any experience that can be rude and jerks on the water. The some of the yacht club boys who grew up on the water and know all the rules, regulations and the way you should conduct yourself on a boat can be complete ******** too. How is that confusing??????
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:51   #303
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,679
Images: 1
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

I was temporarily anchored last year attempting to douse sails prior to motoring into my marina when some knucklehead in a big cruiser blows by 20 feet in front of my bow and wakes me with such a force that I am thrown backwards off my feet and drive the end of the tiller into my kidney, and haven't felt right since.
__________________
"All men are created equal, some just more than
others" KD2RLY
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 14:19   #304
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 10,210
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You guys are kidding right? My point was and is that its not only the new boaters that may not have any experience that can be rude and jerks on the water. The some of the yacht club boys who grew up on the water and know all the rules, regulations and the way you should conduct yourself on a boat can be complete ******** too. How is that confusing??????
I grew up on the water and smudge pots, Being the assigned helmsman at about 7. I'd get my butt kicked for throwing a wash or not ceding right away even if we had it technically. common sense should prevail.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 15:19   #305
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 5,074
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I was temporarily anchored last year attempting to douse sails prior to motoring into my marina when some knucklehead in a big cruiser blows by 20 feet in front of my bow and wakes me with such a force that I am thrown backwards off my feet and drive the end of the tiller into my kidney, and haven't felt right since.
That could just as easily been a natural wave. Who would you blame it on then?

And if you haven't felt right since, I suggest you see a doctor.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 15:57   #306
Registered User
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,978
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

That answer just confirms the stereotype!
__________________
There are now only two groups. Those who canít unsee and those who wonít look. All it takes is a tiny peek and the latter becomes the former.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 17:04   #307
Registered User
 
danielamartindm's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Boat: Leopard 39
Posts: 860
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Anchored most of the day in Effingham Bay in Barkley Sound, B.C. Canada .
It was late evening, and with only one other small sailboat in this big anchorage, a giant "Gin Palace" came in and dropped anchor right in our face less than 75 feet straight in front of us.
They then proceeded to turn on a generator with a 4" diameter exhaust pipe.
Of course, the light breeze was blowing directly on us.

I have never been more motivated to stuff something up someone else's exhaust pipe as I was right then.
I went over with the dinghy to politely ask them to reanchor and they told me to pound sand, but not in such polite terms.

Oh for some old sweatshirts and a big broomstick !!
You know, this was always a big gripe of mine. It's like you're the sole occupant of an elevator, it stops at a floor, one person gets on, and they stand right next to you. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:18   #308
Registered User
 
Idylles15.5's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northport NY
Boat: Idylles 15.5
Posts: 344
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That answer just confirms the stereotype!
Unfortunately I have to concur. That's like telling someone who got hit with a rock in the head, they could of just as easily tripped on the sidewalk and split their head open.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:22   #309
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Anchored most of the day in Effingham Bay in Barkley Sound, B.C. Canada .
It was late evening, and with only one other small sailboat in this big anchorage, a giant "Gin Palace" came in and dropped anchor right in our face less than 75 feet straight in front of us.
They then proceeded to turn on a generator with a 4" diameter exhaust pipe.
Of course, the light breeze was blowing directly on us.
!!

Yeah, that pisses me off as well.
Sitting in an anchorage minding my own business and all these idiots in yachts are attracted to us like moths to a flame dropping anchors within a few boat lengths of us.

Then they pull out their noisy toy gennies, plonk them on deck and run them for hours trying to make a bucket of water.

Then they have the hide to give me the stink eye when I move at 3am and have to wake them up or run them over to get my anchor out from under them, bloody amatuers.

See, works both ways.

Fwiw, gensets on powered vessels are usually enclosed and run through a water lock muffler about 1.5 inch in dia, not 4.
You can barely hear ours from 20 feet away.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:28   #310
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,791
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I grew up on the water and smudge pots, Being the assigned helmsman at about 7. I'd get my butt kicked for throwing a wash or not ceding right away even if we had it technically. common sense should prevail.




Love it!!!! Not long ago when I posted something similar pertaining to "right of way" I had half of the forum members chomping on me for ceding the right of way and NOT following the the USCG Rules and Regulations Handbook.

Crazy things happen here in the forums and I do agree with you about ceding the so called right of way which I most often do.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 20:00   #311
Registered User
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,978
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

Fwiw, gensets on powered vessels are usually enclosed and run through a water lock muffler about 1.5 inch in dia, not 4.
You can barely hear ours from 20 feet away.
This one was BIG. I looked right at it when I dinghied over as I mentioned in my post. It was approximately the diameter of a big grapefruit with exhaust coming out.
Maybe they didn't have a genset, just a main running for hours and hours. Same stink and noise though.
__________________
There are now only two groups. Those who canít unsee and those who wonít look. All it takes is a tiny peek and the latter becomes the former.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 20:53   #312
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You guys are kidding right? My point was and is that its not only the new boaters that may not have any experience that can be rude and jerks on the water. The some of the yacht club boys who grew up on the water and know all the rules, regulations and the way you should conduct yourself on a boat can be complete ******** too. How is that confusing??????
So why didn't you say that?
That I had no problem understanding.
Why bring the irrelevance of skin colour and religion into the mix.?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 21:06   #313
Registered User
 
Idylles15.5's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northport NY
Boat: Idylles 15.5
Posts: 344
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So why didn't you say that?
That I had no problem understanding.
Why bring the irrelevance of skin colour and religion into the mix.?
Your a real angry wacko aren't ya. Another person who knows nothing about history. Your like the football players who to a knee for the Anthem then stood for God save the Queen. Real geniuses who must have complete comprehension of the colonial system. Whatever your not worth it. Goodnight. Go paint a rainbow in your stateroom, it might cheer you up. Idiot
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 21:35   #314
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: nowra nsw australia
Boat: 32 contessa
Posts: 207
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
I have a contessa and a power boat ,,, believe me there are some arseholes out there ,
I have near lost my daughter overboard when a wakeborder thought it was fun to be with in 3 metres of us when fishing ,,,, ,
I went to the boat ramp ,,,
I waited for the hero`s return ,,,,
my club buddys just happend to turn up ,,
He now knows the danger of being to close to POWER OR SAIL ,
I think he is still hiding behine a pilon at the ramp !!
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 22:53   #315
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Your a real angry wacko aren't ya. Another person who knows nothing about history. Your like the football players who to a knee for the Anthem then stood for God save the Queen. Real geniuses who must have complete comprehension of the colonial system. Whatever your not worth it. Goodnight. Go paint a rainbow in your stateroom, it might cheer you up. Idiot

You call me an angry whacko yet it is you who is doing the name calling and having a dummy spit.

Seek professional help.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power boat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Florida boaters, $100K reward to find (2) teenage boaters deckofficer Our Community 20 24-04-2016 12:59
Help for the Clueless . . . EmilyP Navigation 6 22-11-2010 14:33
clueless?? woodielvr Powered Boats 8 17-12-2008 01:37
Consider me clueless please jartwannabe Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 6 02-09-2006 06:16

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.