Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 05:02   #286
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

As the OP of the thread I will admit that there are power boaters out there who have a clue and slow down to not wake us in a narrow channel. Where this happens I always also slow way down it order to let them pass easier and mostly they wait till ahead of me enough before powering back up.

Unfortunately we aren't talking about these people.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26   #287

Boat: Lagoon 410

If only someone would invent a device that could be used to talk to other vessels that were being discourteous. (If they were told enough times their guests would start giving them the hairy eyeball!)

It could even be used by people at anchor to talk to each other in a fashion that would indicate that genny people should anchor downwind in the harbor when a newcomer was entering the anchorage. Maybe even a mention of halyard slapping too.

Until such magic appears I will keep running my signal flags up and down.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08   #288

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

When I passed through woods hole, the tide was ripping 4 knots, and the marker bouy was at 45 degree angle. A huge powerboat decided to go 25 knots passing a few meters from me and between me and another sailboat in this very narrow spot (100ft wide). Since he is going against the current, his wake against current piled up and completely swamped me and endangered me. I was only 10ft from rocks.

In wrightsville, I was swamped several times in my kayak, as powerboats go from slow to plane on purpose right in front of me.

I lost my laptop (that had survived from the philippines to north carolina) because of powerboats spraying water into my boat from their wake in the anchorge.

I have had coast guard in various countries (they used powerboats) vandalize, and steal goods from my boat.

I witnessed powerboats in charleston going past marina too fast, popping fenders and smashing boats. They claim they needed to go this fast because of "wind and tide". Fortunately I am anchored.

Constantly powerboats go very close to me at anchor to try to get a reaction from me by knocking my boat as much as they can.

I must wake up every morning to the sound of lobster boats that make a huge amount of noise, andk smoke. All because they are too stubborn to adopt trimarans which was proven years ago to drastically reduce their fuel consumption while actually giving them more stability and deck space (their argument for having wide inefficient boats)

Fortunately almost all of these issues only occur in countries like the US. Not so much in other places.

Taking water from a marina is not stealing. It would have to deprive someone else of water. "theft of service" ? seriously? This is basically canceled by the fact that the marina displaces what was naturally there before, something much nicer than a marina. I think this is more of a theft. As for dumping garbage, next time I'll just dump it on a powerboat. That way I will be putting all the garbage together.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 18:07   #289

Boat: Sabre 34-2

I have had several power boaters wake me a few times, one knocked us off our seats pretty bad. I do not think they do it intentionally though, boating at high speed is normal to them and they do not think otherwise. Most obey the no-wake zone, however, I recently witnessed the bay constable writing a ticket as the guy just kept on going, even after the constable's lights and sirens.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:44   #290
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Wow Alexandra, you seem to have as much unlikely bad luck as do I.

This morning as I was buttoning my shirt, a button fell off. After that, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle fell off. Then I went to open the door, and the doorknob fell off. I went to get into my car, and the door handle came off in my hand.

Now I'm afraid to pee.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:03   #291

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

This morning as I was buttoning my shirt, a button fell off. After that, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle fell off. Then I went to open the door, and the doorknob fell off. I went to get into my car, and the door handle came off in my hand.

Now I'm afraid to pee.

You must be in the U.S.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:01   #292

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Originally Posted by GordMay

Now I'm afraid to pee.

That was priceless !!!
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09   #293

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDish View Post
If only someone would invent a device that could be used to talk to other vessels that were being discourteous. (If they were told enough times their guests would start giving them the hairy eyeball!)

It could even be used by people at anchor to talk to each other in a fashion that would indicate that genny people should anchor downwind in the harbor when a newcomer was entering the anchorage. Maybe even a mention of halyard slapping too.

Until such magic appears I will keep running my signal flags up and down.
There already is such a device but sailboaters don't use it!

How's that for a stereotype?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19   #294

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
When I passed through woods hole, the tide was ripping 4 knots, and the marker bouy was at 45 degree angle. A huge powerboat decided to go 25 knots passing a few meters from me and between me and another sailboat in this very narrow spot (100ft wide). Since he is going against the current, his wake against current piled up and completely swamped me and endangered me. I was only 10ft from rocks.

In wrightsville, I was swamped several times in my kayak, as powerboats go from slow to plane on purpose right in front of me.

I lost my laptop (that had survived from the philippines to north carolina) because of powerboats spraying water into my boat from their wake in the anchorge.

I have had coast guard in various countries (they used powerboats) vandalize, and steal goods from my boat.

I witnessed powerboats in charleston going past marina too fast, popping fenders and smashing boats. They claim they needed to go this fast because of "wind and tide". Fortunately I am anchored.

Constantly powerboats go very close to me at anchor to try to get a reaction from me by knocking my boat as much as they can.

I must wake up every morning to the sound of lobster boats that make a huge amount of noise, andk smoke. All because they are too stubborn to adopt trimarans which was proven years ago to drastically reduce their fuel consumption while actually giving them more stability and deck space (their argument for having wide inefficient boats)

Fortunately almost all of these issues only occur in countries like the US. Not so much in other places.

Taking water from a marina is not stealing. It would have to deprive someone else of water. "theft of service" ? seriously? This is basically canceled by the fact that the marina displaces what was naturally there before, something much nicer than a marina. I think this is more of a theft. As for dumping garbage, next time I'll just dump it on a powerboat. That way I will be putting all the garbage together.
First of all, you seem to be having such bad experiences boating, you might want to give it up and take up something like golf.

As for the stealing part, the marina pays for water. If you take it without permission, you are stealing it. There's no excuse you can make that turns it into anything else.

The marina also pays someone to haul their trash and garbage away. Dumping it at the marina without permission is theft of service (the service being the removal service that the marina pays for).

Dumping your garbage on someone else's boat is vandalism.

Look it up if you need to.

You can come up with all the justifications you want, but the judge won't care about them, he will only care about the law.
Old 08-10-2017, 13:01   #295

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

This isn't even really about boating. I grew up on power boats, been on boats my entire life as well as my sisters and brothers. I just love sailing now. As in all other aspects of life, relationships, friendships, work play, your customers, strangers, etc, it all comes down to how you were brought up by your family. To either respect others and have manners in all aspects of your life or not. I have found that boating ******** act like ******** on land too, and decent people with manners and respect act that way regardless of what they are doing and where they are. I know of many older WASPY yacht club sailors here on Long Island who are rude and stuck up and think their you know what doesn't stink. I'm a Anglo Saxon Protestant myself, so no prejudice here, just saying. Pretty simple, there are decent good people and a-holes in all aspects of life.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:15   #296

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I'm a Anglo Saxon Protestant myself, so no prejudice here, just saying. .
I'm confused.
WTF has skin colour and religion got to do with anything?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:22   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
First of all, you seem to be having such bad experiences boating, you might want to give it up and take up something like golf.

As for the stealing part, the marina pays for water. If you take it without permission, you are stealing it. There's no excuse you can make that turns it into anything else.

The marina also pays someone to haul their trash and garbage away. Dumping it at the marina without permission is theft of service (the service being the removal service that the marina pays for).

Dumping your garbage on someone else's boat is vandalism.

Look it up if you need to.

You can come up with all the justifications you want, but the judge won't care about them, he will only care about the law.
This discussion went on in a thread some years ago. I think it was " why do marinas hate sailors", or something like that. I'm a sailor, so not picking on sailors here. Sometimes they are their own worst enemy. Pull up to our gas dock, take on 100 gallons water and dump garbage, then buy $10 of outboard fuel while tying up the dock for an hour while two cabin cruisers are floating about who want to buy a few thousand dollars in fuel. As you mentioned, our marina water bill is massive, and the restaurant needs the dumpsters as well as the members of the marina. People just need to use their head and be a little courteous. That would go a long way.
Old 08-10-2017, 13:27   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I'm confused.
It doesnt, I'm just stating that supposed professional yacht club sailors with all the schooling in the world who are supposed to be gentleman can be ******** too. What the hell are you talking about? If you didn't know the history of yachting is was reserved for those of privilege back in the day. They were supposed to have manners. That was my point. I don't know what the hell your talking about.
Old 08-10-2017, 13:33   #299

Quote:
I'm confused.
Just noticed your from Australia, I wasn't trying to make any kind of statement. If you grew up in the North Shore of Long Island, where the Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Phipps and other families of the day had their yachts, you would understand what the yacht club culture was like. I'm not trying to re write history. You totally missed my point.
Old 08-10-2017, 13:37   #300

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I'm confused.
I'm confused like you?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat