Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 14:44   #271

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

I remember almost being capsized by a 50 foot power boat in the Gold Coast Broadwater. Then almost two miles later I came across them stuck firmly on a sand bank on the wrong side of a channel marker. They were on the aft deck screaming at me to slow down and not make any wake. I gunned my little 1GM diesel to full revs and powered past them. LOL the wake from our little 24 yacht was nothing but the abuse they threw my way was hilarious.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:50   #272

Perhaps this the thread to ask why most powerboats must absolutely pass across a small sailboat's bow, so as to maximise the amount of rocking and banging from the wake, as opposed to passing behind, which slightly reduces the amount and duration of the disturbance?

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:50   #273

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
They wouldn't be thieves because none of the above acts are thievery. Maybe you need to read a dictionary.

What a ridiculous claim. If it is a channel you can simply sail through following the normal rules.

Yes, this is annoying, also very easy to prevent.

There is a major flaw in your logic.

The reefs are dying, the storms are worse than ever before. This is cause of power boaters. Sailboats that use engine are powerboats.

These people are to blame, and what they are doing is wrong. If you use a powerboat, a sailboat with engine, or just a generator, this is ungood. I could care less about the annoying things sailboats do; these are trivial in comparison.

So I would say, yes, powerboaters are selfish lazy thieves. They are stealing the future. In fact there is no reason for them since sails were proven since ancient times.
Wrong on so many (all) points.

Taking water without permission is theft. Dumping garbage and using the showers is theft of service. And of course, staying in a marina overnight without paying is theft of service.

You can't sail through the channel if it's full of sailboats going around in circles, especially in a trawler.

I can't stop someone else's rigging from clanging. Not legally at least.

Saying that power boats are the reason reefs are dying and storms are "worse than ever before" pretty much removes any credibility you might have. The earth has been changing since it was formed and will continue to change with or without power boats. Get yourself some books. Read them.
Old 06-10-2017, 14:55   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Perhaps this the thread to ask why most powerboats must absolutely pass across a small sailboat's bow, so as to maximise the amount of rocking and banging from the wake, as opposed to passing behind, which slightly reduces the amount and duration of the disturbance?

You think so?

If you want to ask why most powerboats must pass across a small sailboat's bow, you are going to have to ask the captains of those boats. Nobody here can honestly tell you why someone else does what he does although I suspect some will try.
Old 06-10-2017, 15:14   #275

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I think power boaters cross a sailboat's bow even if they need to accelerate and change course significantly to do it, because they're jealous that they don't know how to sail.

I drag raced one several years ago in a 20 knot wind while he tried in vain to pass.
His course change was originally about 20 degrees, but he kept increasing it to try to go over the top of me. Eventually, his course change was 90 degrees.
He finally turned around and made about a 120 degree course change to get back to his original destination.

Old 06-10-2017, 15:25   #276

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sounds like it is getting sophomoric.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 15:53   #277

I think it's getting stupid.
Old 06-10-2017, 16:09   #278

Boat: Hullmaster 27

In the last four months of cruising I can remember only two instances of powerboats screeching past my bow in the most inconsiderate manner possible, and three instances of powerboats slowing down to no-wake speed as they passed me then speeding up again.

So it looks like the good guys win 3-2 ... unless you count the captain of the container ship who hailed me on the VHF to warn me that his tugs were about to let go and I had better brace myself for his wake when he passed me in the channel.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:05   #279

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
In the last four months of cruising I can remember only two instances of powerboats screeching past my bow in the most inconsiderate manner possible, and three instances of powerboats slowing down to no-wake speed as they passed me then speeding up again.

So it looks like the good guys win 3-2 ... unless you count the captain of the container ship who hailed me on the VHF to warn me that his tugs were about to let go and I had better brace myself for his wake when he passed me in the channel.
You've been lucky! I just spent 2 weeks on the Hudson river and 1 powerboater in all that time slowed down to not wake me! most seemed to want to pass within 20 feet for some reason! granted us sailors probably drive the powerboaters nuts travelling so slow!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:31   #280

Boat: Bertram MY 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
They wouldn't be thieves because none of the above acts are thievery. Maybe you need to read a dictionary.

What a ridiculous claim. If it is a channel you can simply sail through following the normal rules.

Yes, this is annoying, also very easy to prevent.

There is a major flaw in your logic.

The reefs are dying, the storms are worse than ever before. This is cause of power boaters. Sailboats that use engine are powerboats.

These people are to blame, and what they are doing is wrong. If you use a powerboat, a sailboat with engine, or just a generator, this is ungood. I could care less about the annoying things sailboats do; these are trivial in comparison.

So I would say, yes, powerboaters are selfish lazy thieves. They are stealing the future. In fact there is no reason for them since sails were proven since ancient times.
I just remembered why I don't visit this forum all that often. To many whiny cry babies typing drool all day long.
Grow up and deal with it.
Capt Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 21:27   #281

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ralph View Post
I just remembered why I don't visit this forum all that often. To many whiny cry babies typing drool all day long.
Grow up and deal with it.
I'm really glad that your memory has reminded you to not visit our forum and post your own brand of "drool". Have all 5 of your contributions been this helpful?

Jim
Old 06-10-2017, 21:54   #282
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop

In mid-May, a clown named Wally "anchored" his shiny new Jeanneau NC11 launch smack in front of me on a windy day here near Auckland. I was away, but there was a witness.

He let out just enough chain to reach the bottom and vanished down below. He piled it up into the side of my boat, then struggled to get away, took some paint off, nice... the witness had a quick chat with him and got a phone number before he did a runner! He is hiding now. He told me on the phone the damage would have been "pre-existing".

We have got the full spectrum here... from the professionals to the morons driving and parking their watercars. They also turn their nav lights on at night after anchoring.
Old 06-10-2017, 22:58   #283

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

As a full time liveaboard I see dheads from both sail and power.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:28   #284

Some are absolute turds, viz- dismasted in Lake Macquarie, rig in the water.
Power boat signalled to please slow up to avoid a possible spar through the hull. Received the finger and a lap around the boat at some speed for good measure. This did not happen to me but was reported at our club.
karl m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:51   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

Yes the good guys are out there. On the Great Lakes we're probably encountering 5 powerboats an hour, so even if the majority are considerate, we still get rocked a fair bit. The guys who generate the biggest wake are usually running at that inefficient speed that just gobbles up fuel, so at least they're paying for the privilege of shaking us around.

Surprisingly (maybe) we have never had a problem with jetskis. They keep a reasonable distance away, their wake is small and they are usually good for a friendly wave.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat