Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 08:30   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Are all SSB Receivers crap, or is it just mine?

Here are a couple of good websites that describes SDR technology:

Product Detail - DRS4D

GNU Radio - SuggestedReading - gnuradio.org

I just plugged "SDR architecture" into Google. It's going to take a while to get through all the listings.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 10:21   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Exactly what Rebel Heart said,
I bought a used Kenwood 440 for $200, 20meter dipole $50, Coax $50 and MFJ manual tuner $50. I run one end to the mast and tie the other end of to stern rail. $350.00 done! still need to install it all properly..

This Kenwood has great ears!!

Sure I cannot TX on marine bands but listen in However have made quite a few contacts on 40-10m.....

Also remember, You are dealing with HF, some days propogation works with you and some days it doesnt. If you are having trouble hearing on one frequency try another band(frequency range) Good chance there is nothing wrong with your Kaito, you are just not giving it a chance. Do a little research on long wire antennas, or better yet just hook the kaito to a dipole....you be amazed at the difference.

Also one last note, if Chris the weather guy is using a directional beam to broadcast to his customers you will have a hard time picking up his transmissions unless you are in his path no matter what receiver you are using.

SSB is far from dead, check out 14.300Mhz sometime, very busy martime net. FCC issued Amateur radio licenses are at an all time high. We had 14 people pass the technician exam and earn their licenses this past week alone here at the local club.

Good luck
Are you sure you cant program that 440 to send /receive duplex SSB channels? MY 450 was capable. The Kenwood not only has great ears, it has a great signal going out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 01:42   #48
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Here are a couple of good websites that describes SDR technology:

Product Detail - DRS4D

GNU Radio - SuggestedReading - gnuradio.org

I just plugged "SDR architecture" into Google. It's going to take a while to get through all the listings.
Looks like the funcube would be good for receiving sat images as well with all the bandwidth.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 02:19   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Elektor Magazine did a project with their own SDr to receive weather fax

Marine Weather Data with the SDR - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
Old 01-05-2013, 13:58   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My "FUNcube Dongle Pro+" arrived, and within 15 minutes I had it receiving WFAX. I downloaded and installed the SDR# control program, and JVComm32, then attached my ham radio dipole to the Dongle. I found the WFAX frequencies, and tuned in Point Reyes on 12.7841 MHz (remember, you have to tune the receiver 1.9 KHz below the published frequency). I couldn't get JVComm32 to auto-start, so I listened to the received signal and pushed the "start" button when the fax began. I do recall that the last time I used JVComm32 it took some tweaking to get the auto-start working.

Here is the dongle:

And here's what my computer screen looked like:

I started the WFAX reception on 12.7841 MHz, but when the signal started fading I switched to 8.6801 MHz. I don't have the "skew" fine-tuned yet, so the image is a little slanted. Note that in the SDR# control panel I have the "Swap IQ" box checked. For some reason the radio has upper and lower sideband reversed, but swapping the I and Q take care of that.

You can receive SSB WFAX more cheaply, but this is looking quite useful. It's sure easier to tune the signal properly than when using a Kaito SSB receiver.

[Edit: The auto-start is working. I didn't do anything, so perhaps it was just a signal/noise issue?]
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb