Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 22:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Anyone with a Refleks Heater ?

It's bloody cold here and I need some help from Refleks owners...

I just installed a new Refleks 66MW, the firm's small, bulkhead-mounted heater.

This is what I have been doing:

I pour 50 ml of methlated spirits into the heater. Light it and let it burn for about one minute. Then I set the regulator to pilot.

The heater makes some thudding sounds, but seems to be okay, heating up.

Then, after about five minutes, the stove begins to hiss and smoke. And make splashing sounds, like hot coals dropped into water. I can only assume a lot of diesel is flowing into the bottom of the stove, but the stove design does not allow you to see. The top of the stove becomes very hot, glowing red, and makes pretty loud popping sounds.

I lose my nerve and turn the stove off and it soon goes out.

This all happens while the heater is set to pilot. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any suggestions welcome.

I have used larger floor-mounted Refleks heaters on other boats and never had a problem.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From the Manual
http://www.refleks-olieovne.dk/wcmSh...72BF70E74B2E1F

“... 12. LIGHTING THE STOVE
Check that the burner pot is free of oil, see safety precautions.
Fill the fuel tank with oil and open the tank cock and the safety fuel valve. The control indicator of on the regulator should be set to Pilot. Open the top of the stove and drop a lit match* down into the bottom of the burner pot.
If mentholated spirit is used this should be poured directly into the burner pot approx. 5 cc. and a lighted match thrown down into it.
Close the top of the stove and wait 5-10 minutes, the time it takes for the stove to heat up and set light to the fuel oil. The control indicator can then be turned to the required from Pilot to 9 on the scale.
Remember to start the circulating pump if the stove is coupled to a central heating unit...”

* I’ve heard that some people use a small cube of solid BBQ fire starter on a piece of coat hanger wire, instead of a match.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07   #3

Boat: Victoria 38 (known as Morris 38 in US)
I have also just installed a bulkhead mounted Refleks, and mine seems to make the same noises etc, but I think that's simply what diesel sounds like when it starts to burn. It soon settles down. And my stove gets cherry red too.
I've only lit it a couple of times, but dropping the match is not as easy as it looks. Sometimes the lit match goes out during the descent, and sometimes gets caught on a ledge and fails to find the oil.
The BBQ lighter idea sounds interesting? Any others?
It's interesting that the floor mounted version don't make such noises. I assume they're pretty much the same inside.
oldvarnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:28   #4
Scurvy Dog

The alcohol heats up the stove so that the diesel will vaporize. The stove needs to be hot before you let the diesel flow into the burn chamber. Wait a little longer before turning the diesel on.

Start with a low heat setting to let the stove warm up completely before turning the heat setting higher.

Also, get a long lighter, it is much better than throwing matches into the burn chamber, much cleaner.

Always let the stove cool off before adding any alcohol, don't add just a little more. The alcohol burns a long time at the bottom of the heater and you can't see the flame.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:38   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
I have a refleks 60m but have never used it as the burner pot has rotted out, I am hoping to get it running before the winter, any recommendations as how to set it up? I have to source a chimney and weather cap. Of course there are no spares down here in NZ.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the replies.

I have a version of the manual Gord quotes (though mine calls for 5 cl, not 5 cc of spirits, which is not a lot of fuel), and I think I have followed it to a T, though I have delayed turning the pilot on longer and longer because it seems to be getting too much fuel and it only made sense to first heat the burner as I must do on my Taylors kero stove. But a few times I have turned it on at the same time as the manual suggests.

I will try to delay turning on the pilot longer as Skylark suggests.

I was unable to find a lighter long enough so I made my own. I took a barbecue lighter about 6 inches long, cut it in half. With thin copper wire, plastic tubing and a 14-inch metal tube that fit inside the two halves of the original lighter, I was able to extend it. I usually have to click it a few times before enough butane gets to the end so it can light -- or I just light it with another lighter -- but otherwise works fine. The lighter can be refilled.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23   #7
Scurvy Dog

I'm not sure how much 5 cl is, but I usually throw about a shot glass amount of alcohol in the burner. If you "spill" a little bit on the side (inside the burner) you can light it there rather than on the bottom.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11   #8

Boat: Trismus 37
I suggest you contact Refleks direct <info@refleks-olieovne.dk>
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

5 cl is 50 ml is about 3 1/3 tbs or about one film canister.

Skylark, just letting the spirits burn for a few minutes before turning on the pilot seems to have done the trick. Thx.
Old 09-02-2011, 17:51   #10
Scurvy Dog

Enjoy the heat!
Old 09-02-2011, 18:05   #11

Boat: CS 36t
A boat that I used to work on had one and we lit it differently than stated in the manual. This model had a hinged lid so we would turn on the fuel until there was a tiny puddle in the bottom, light a ball of toilet paper and toss it in. It would be a bit smokey for a minute or so and when it was about to go out, we would turn on the fuel. Not the recommended way but it worked well for us.

The unit was great and trouble free as far as I could tell.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41   #12

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510
Re: Anyone with a Refleks Heater ?

Wonder if there is water in the fuel?

I have a Sigmar Marine stove and pre-heat it with kerosene. Safer than alcohol. Sigmar advises to wipe the cup used to measure the kerosene with a kleenex, light the kleenex and drop into the burner. Usually I used a long screwdrive to push the kleenex past the burner ring and down into the bottom of the burner.

Try long matches like for fireplace or BBQ or a gas BBQ lighter.
KrazySailing is offline   Reply With Quote