Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Anyone use Deks Olje

Hey y’all just sanded our toe rails and was debating using deks olje instead of Cetol. Last round of cetol didn’t hold up well and was curious how the Deks product ages. It says it doesn’t peel and is easy to reapply to repair spots. Anyway our boat is in Florida so hot lots of sun etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Will
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Anyone use Deks Olje

ha, deks Olje.....yes.....I have some experience with that....it's not varnish, so don't be looking for any " brightwork"...it's more like teak oil.....the beauty of it is, you can just brush it on cleaned and sanded teak....and continue to just brush it on in subsequent coatings...without sanding...
here's the rub.....you have to factor in continual coats as time goes by...I would anticipate at least 2-3 times a year in Florida..
Finally, my experience with it is that after a period of time it tends to " darken" the teak...if you keep at it, it does look relatively nice.....but if not, expect a very dark color.
When I finally gave up on it, I had to spend a lot of time prepping the teak with various teak solvent products to get the old deks olje out.
I also tried teak oil, but had similar results as the deks olje.
Since that time, I have experimented with various brands of varnish, but could not recommend one over another. The trick with varnish is to find one that has a UV inhibitor, but even so, you need to give the wood several coats per season. 3-4 minimum.....some folks will go 6-7 coats.
Figure at least once a year for a thorough sanding and multiple coats.
As a footnote, after years of trying to keep the toe rails nice I finally just let them go " au natural" and swore Ii would eventually paint them white..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow I haven't seen that name in a long time. I remember the smell, which I kinda liked. I used to use it on my old sail boat and an open dory and my experience was the same as MicHughV. In my case I didn't mind the frequent applications at first, and it looked nice, then later I too let it go au natural. I had an acquaintance with a lot more wood than I who spent A LOT of time with varnish, with at least 7 layers, and then he'd complain that he'd take his buddies out for the weekend and they'd bang it all up!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:51   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

definitely with you on the Cetol .. don't waste your time. for me good varnish like Epifanes is the way to go unless you leave your teak natural.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:21   #5

After a ton of online research, we just applied Deks Olje for the first time last week and really like the look. It's not a glossy varnish look, but we think it looks beautiful and natural. Photo below taken a few days after application.

Our boat had some badly degraded spots of Cetol on her teak when we bought her. It was mostly already peeled off and it was still a TON of work to remove. I will never apply cetol or varnish to my boat after removing all that stuff.

You should remove all the old cetol and then brighten the teak prior to application. We used Star Brite brightener and it worked very well. We applied 3 coats of Deks Olje with a rag.

We will get to see how long the Deks Olje holds up here in the Northeast US. I don't mind re-applying oil every several weeks and if that's what it takes to keep this look that's fine with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	193710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3425.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	193711  

Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
my experience with it is that after a period of time it tends to " darken" the teak...if you keep at it, it does look relatively nice.....but if not, expect a very dark color.
When I finally gave up on it, I had to spend a lot of time prepping the teak with various teak solvent products to get the old deks olje out.
MicHughV - Just curious - when you say keep at it.. are you referring to continuing to apply the Deks Olje regularly?
Old 11-06-2019, 15:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Peregrine, here's the thing.....deks olje will react differently to different parts of the teak.
As a previous author has mentioned, I have not seen deks olje product in some time..

Depending on the orientation of your dock alignment, one side of the deck may get more sunshine than the other side.

Additionally, you will not be removing any fittings that are attached onto or around or adjacent to the toerail, so sometimes ( ha, always) there will be some or other fitting in your way and you have to work around this. Water can, and will, wick around these fittings and get into the wood.

After you have sanded and cleaned your teak, it will have a rough surface. Any cracks at the toerail joints, for instance, will be water traps...
My experience has been that you will get black streaks in your teak from these various cracks, openings, etc....water that sits there for any length of time, will attract mold, mildew, etc..
Finally, you may (or may not) elect to "tape" the toerail prior to applying the product. Unless your taping prowess is spot-on-perfect, there will be gaps between the toerail and deck. These gaps will attract and hold water, moisture, dew, mold, spray, etc...
For all these reasons, trying to keep your toerail looking good will be a continual battle against the elements..

You will find your self noticing areas of the toerail needing attention. Once you've addressed those areas, new area will spring up...and the beat goes on.
As a closing note, I've been a live-aboard sailor for most of my adult life, so I speak not only of my own experience but also the experience of other boats.
But...on the plus side...it will give you something to do and keep you out of the bars during the day :-)
Old 11-06-2019, 15:17   #8

Thanks MicHughV. Those do sound like words spoken from experience We are actually usually on a mooring, so we do swing around, in theory it should fade somewhat evenly... but then the prevailing winds are from the west.

I have thought about using some kind of wood filler to keep the cracks filled and thought about doing it when we applied the oil this year. Not sure if you or anyone here has had luck with such a thing.
Old 11-06-2019, 16:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Peregrine...though you may not visibly note this... wood will expand and contract with the temperature gradient..so if you fill a joint, it must be a " flexible" type compound...
Over the years I have tried several different kinds of caulking....even the venerable 5200, but the problem is always the same...if you allow even a pinhole size opening anywhere, sooner or later water/moisture will wick in there, the caulking will dry out, age or otherwise be affected by soap or other cleaning solutions, etc.
On a cold day, the crack may be large...but on a hot day, the crack will be small...this movement will likely squeeze or otherwise impair the joint.

I really don't think there is any one-stop " forever" solution here or at least none that I'm aware.
of.
This is a process, just like changing the oil in your diesel...., every so many hours, it must be done.

Ironically, teak is favored as a marine wood for the simple reason that it can stand up to the abuse of a marine life. Teak does this as it it has it's own " wood oil" that acts as a " preservative". Teak does not really need to be covered with anything. Varnishing, oils, etc, are generally speaking just a " cosmetic" or " look nice" thing...it's " eye-candy" for the boat owner....and why not...boat ownership invariable involves some ownership pride.

I once read a article on this in that the stuff we put on teak interferes with the " au natural" oil of teak wood. It blocks out the air, etc. or is otherwise non-compatible with the natural teak oil.
I'm not a scientist or otherwise knowledgeable about this matter, so can't really opine on this.

Varnishing teak is just a time-honored fact of life for a boat owner...just be aware you will be re-coating that toerail before you think.

I can remember a lovely wood trawler type boat pulling into my marina one time to stay for a while. To say that it was gorgeous would simply be an understatement. The owners had two full time young crew members that did nothing else but varnish that boat. They would start on one side, sand and varnish and then switch to the other side, back and forth, non-stop. Day in, day out. That was their 9-5 job !
That's the kind of effort it takes to have that " perfect" varnish job.

You and I have to resort to doing it ourselves :-(
Old 11-06-2019, 18:37   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have used Deks Olje for years.... on my previous boat and on some other boats as well.
First set of coats using type #1, anything from 8-14 coats on first day or over 2 days, depending how much the wood soaks it up, then after a few days drying, 4-6 coats of #2, one coat per day.

As the application can be messy (and maybe the operator works messy)..... I was able to remove most of the rails, hatches etc. before application. But a wipe with turps cleans it well, as long one does not allow the spilling to dry.

Results were always good, yearly maintenance was a light sand ie 240-400 grit paper, and one or two coats, easy. In very sunny climats maybe do that twice a year.
And now? Have hardly any timber anymore, and what I have I am leaving bare (teak).
Would I use Deks Olje again? First choice is to leave it bare, second choice to paint, third choice..... Deks Olje.
Here is a link to maintenance
The Flood Company Australia » Wood Care Products » deks_olje_2
Old 12-06-2019, 08:57   #11

Boat: Felltz Scorpion II, 40ft

Here in Europe Deks Olje is more common. D1 is just for preparing it keeps the wood protected. Its a saturating wood oil. After D1 is dryed ( 3 -4 days) you use D2 . A high Gloss finish at least 5 -6 times.

All you have to do after is once a year sand it wet (400 grit paper) with D1, and paint it over with D2 to recover the surface destroyed by the sun.
Bliedstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07   #12

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Varnishes like Epiphanes won't hold up under the Florida sun no matter how much claim is made about the uv filters added to it. Agree with the ugly darkening caused by decks Olje which doesn't hold up well either. If you want as close to a natural look that holds up fairly well, use at least 4 coats of Cetol Light, but make sure to finish it with Cetol Clear Gloss, or else it will peel badly. Also, avoid sanding on any Cetol product, particularly on the Clear Gloss.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:23   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Teak Sealer - Natural Light Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer

This is the stuff that we had the best luck with in the tropics. There is no shine, but the teak looked oiled and clean (but slightly cloudy) for about 6 months and then another coat would get applied. It's just an oil sealer, so application took about 20 minutes with a foam brush.

Matt
Old 12-06-2019, 10:36   #14

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Varnishes like Epiphanes won't hold up under the Florida sun no matter how much claim is made about the uv filters added to it. Agree with the ugly darkening caused by decks Olje which doesn't hold up well either. If you want as close to a natural look that holds up fairly well, use at least 4 coats of Cetol Light, but make sure to finish it with Cetol Clear Gloss, or else it will peel badly. Also, avoid sanding on any Cetol product, particularly on the Clear Gloss.
Varnish and a suncover. Lasts forever more or less, even in South Florida. Another couple of coats every few years and nothing looks better.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:43   #15

Boat: offshore 8 meter

if i remember correctly there was deks olje no1 which was like teak oil and no 2 which was varnish.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote