Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 10:14   #31

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Anyone use Deks Olje

SV Auquavit: As I wrote, we switched to Semco after not finding Deks Ole. We use "Natural", one step away from the clear. If you spill it on gelcoat, it wiped off easily before it dries. If you miss the run, and it dries, we've found that H-7 cleaner, sprayed on and then use a non-abrasive sponge or rag, will remove it.......not on the first wipe, but it does remove it. We do our teak caprail, and invariably miss a run or 2 down on the hull...and then clean it a month or 2 later. The spills on the deckcap, while doing our teak deck, wipe right off without issue. Not a worry!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:26   #32

Boat: Irwin 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I am surprised the Deks Olje appeared dark to you. I would guess that the teak has darkened. Did you bleach the teak before applying?

I did not bleach it but it was freshly cleaned with ammonia and freshly sanded to a natural gold tint. I want to keep the gold tone but the Deks Olje made it brown.
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:33   #33

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

A friend is getting good results by diluting cetol with teak oil 1:2

Longevity and penetration.
Old 15-09-2020, 19:05   #34

Boat: Taswell 43

SV Aquavit: We had very good luck cleaning our teak deck with the sprinkle-on West Marine teak cleaner. Unfortunately, they stopped selling it and the mix-with-water stuff they sell now is junk (my opinion)! We discovered and have resorted to using the Semco 2-part teak cleaner.....and it really works! A single application of the part one, then a fresh-water wash, and then part 2-and then let the deck/teak dry overnight really brings it back to life and it looks really good. This past season we washed the deck and caprail with sudsy soap and water, brushing across the grain(it was really dirty), let it dry, and then used the Semco Teak cleaner, let it dry, and then 2 coats of Semco Natural. We got compliments all season long, and the deck still looks good after our 6+months live-aboard cruising. I don't mind washing our deck, but I really wanted to protect it from ground-in dirt, fish blood, grease or oil, etc. The Semco is very watery and soaks in almost instantly, looks good, and is not oily or slippery to walk on.....I go barefoot almost all the time on the boat, and never have an issue with footing-even when taking green water over the bow. We have been very happy with it since we started using it, although the sun is not as high here in the northern Caribb(17*N) as it was in the Philippines(13*N-15*N).....but it's close. We have lost a little soft grain since our new deck was installed in Phuket in 2011, but other than that it looks like the teak is new. And NO...I do not work for nor have stock in Semco!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 19:50   #35

I just did a large cockpit table in Deks Olje (having stripped worn and flaking Epiphanes) and am very pleased. The D2 Gloss starts out quite soft but after a month it's almost as hard as varnish. And while a Hinckley $10,000 varnish job might be "richer and deeper", the Decks Olje looked better than my best efforts with varnish.

It did slightly darken the teak but not that much more than the varnish. Where the teak had an area of darker grain the Deks Olje darkening was more pronounced.

The reason I switched is Deks Olje's promised "repairability". If I can touch up dings and wear spots instead of having to start from scratch like varnish it will be a huge time saver.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 07:23   #36

Trying Semco + Teakguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
SV Aquavit: We had very good luck cleaning our teak deck with the sprinkle-on West Marine teak cleaner. Unfortunately, they stopped selling it and the mix-with-water stuff they sell now is junk (my opinion)! We discovered and have resorted to using the Semco 2-part teak cleaner.....and it really works! A single application of the part one, then a fresh-water wash, and then part 2-and then let the deck/teak dry overnight really brings it back to life and it looks really good. This past season we washed the deck and caprail with sudsy soap and water, brushing across the grain(it was really dirty), let it dry, and then used the Semco Teak cleaner, let it dry, and then 2 coats of Semco Natural. We got compliments all season long, and the deck still looks good after our 6+months live-aboard cruising. I don't mind washing our deck, but I really wanted to protect it from ground-in dirt, fish blood, grease or oil, etc. The Semco is very watery and soaks in almost instantly, looks good, and is not oily or slippery to walk on.....I go barefoot almost all the time on the boat, and never have an issue with footing-even when taking green water over the bow. We have been very happy with it since we started using it, although the sun is not as high here in the northern Caribb(17*N) as it was in the Philippines(13*N-15*N).....but it's close. We have lost a little soft grain since our new deck was installed in Phuket in 2011, but other than that it looks like the teak is new. And NO...I do not work for nor have stock in Semco!

I'll try Semco Natural and TeakGuard and share my observations on color. Definitely don't like darkness of Deks Olje but maybe it will lighten as it ages. I'll leave it where I used it and tryt others in different areas.
Old 16-09-2020, 07:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I just did a large cockpit table in Deks Olje (having stripped worn and flaking Epiphanes) and am very pleased. The D2 Gloss starts out quite soft but after a month it's almost as hard as varnish. And while a Hinckley $10,000 varnish job might be "richer and deeper", the Decks Olje looked better than my best efforts with varnish.

It did slightly darken the teak but not that much more than the varnish. Where the teak had an area of darker grain the Deks Olje darkening was more pronounced.

The reason I switched is Deks Olje's promised "repairability". If I can touch up dings and wear spots instead of having to start from scratch like varnish it will be a huge time saver.

I'm definitely not doing varnish. In fact, I'm a bit mad at myself for even trying sealers!

I'm leaving the teak decks alone. Cleaned them with ammonia and a scotch pad and they looked good, even with all the bungs gone and screw heads glistening!

I just want to find a simple sealer that will knock down the gray on the other teak trim in the cockpit area and MAYBE the toe rail and rub rail.

Deks Olje seemed promising. But it's dark and a bit hard to get off the gelcoat. Trying TeakGuard and Semco.
Old 22-09-2020, 00:21   #38

Boat: Felltz Scorpion II, 40ft

I use Deks Olje, and made good experiences with it. One has to saturate the wood with DO 1, let it dry 3-4 days and then do a second turn. After it dried use DO 2 to varnish the wood; approx. 8 times. Then you will have a lasting surface for years.
Bliedstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote