Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Camelot
Anyone Tried Watermakers from Schenker ?

Hello all comfort-seekers!

I am going to install a watermaker next summer. There are at least 7-8 brands that is in use in medium boats. One of them is Schenker from Italy. The most known is probably the Katadyn/PUR, but I have met sailors that telling me that Schenker has managed to lover the power consumption to a minimum - only 20 Ah for 60 Lit/h. The model I have pointed out is the Schenker Ready 60. This is a compact watermaker and only one single component. To chose between Schenker, Katadyn, Seafresh H20, Dessalator, Spectra or Sea Recovery is definitely not easy. So therefore this questions to all sailors with own experience.

Fair winds,
Gunnar
Camelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41   #2

Boat: Sadler 26
Hi C -a - lot, I have a spectra 150 ventura delux and am happy with the results. I have no experience with any other of the water machines. This one makes 20lt of the most delightfully tasting water per hour.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56   #3

Perfect! Do you have any ideas of the power consumption?

C
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Camelot,
I've only had experience with Katadyn / Pure 80E which only produced 15 litres per hour, but only drew 4 ah. Installed 2005 and it was still working perfect when we sold the boat this summer.
JOHN
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40   #5

Hi Camelot
I will look at the manual this weekend and get back to you.
# Cheers
Old 07-10-2010, 21:47   #6

Boat: Leopard 43
Hi Camelot,

I had a Specrta Newport 400 in my last boat. It made great water and was very simple to operate and service. It used about 1.5 amps (12v) per gallon in the Bahamas.

I did have a part failure in the first year of operation though. One of the many computer control boards failed that controlled the speed of the main pressure pump. After a few phone calls they had a service tech meet the boat to trouble shoot the problem and they had to send him the part. He installed it and it worked fine for the next year until I sold the boat.

I am also interested in the Schenker for my new boat as it looks like the same tech as the Spectra but without all the computer controls.

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:51   #7

Hi again Camalot. Just returned from my yacht and read through the Spectra manual only to find that there is no reference to power consumption. ?? This surprises me. Never the less, I am sure that Spectra or one of their reps would be able to supply you with any info you require.
Cheers
Mark
Old 19-11-2010, 00:15   #8

Hi Camelot
I have a Schenker Smart 30, bought from Jim MacDonald of Mactra Equipment at the London Boat Show a few years back. Since then, I've been in some heavy weather, dirty waters and difficult conditions (Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Yemen, Oman, India, Malaysia). Generally, the Schenker has performed well and supplied 30 litres an hour of good water for a 9ah drain on a 12volt system - it's better to run it with the engine on! Presently I am having a few difficulties with it but Jim MacDonald's after sales service is second to none! He isn't after making a quick buck, he genuinely cares about his customers and will go the extra mile to help you out. Give him a call on the phone, he will be happy to help and advise.

By the way, I have no connection with his company other than being a satisfied customer.
seanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 03:55   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post

C
A Spectra Ventura Deluxe 150 will draw between 8-9 real amps per hour.

If power consumption is an important part of choosing a water maker for your boat a better way to do quick calculations in your head is to ask yourself how many amps does it take to make a gallon of product water. This is because you will always be calculating your water maker usage by how many gallons you use or make. Smaller is not always more energy efficent. For example the 80E refered to above uses a stated 8amps per hour and the Ventura 150 refered to above will use up to 9 amps per hour. The amp cost for the 80E is about 2.5 amps per gallon made. The Ventura 150 is about 1.4 amps per gallon made. Multiply those numbers by the amount of water you'll want to make, divide that into your usable house bank amp hours and figure how you will generate that energy back into your batteries and the difference adds up fast. Another real fact is that once you have a water maker on board you WILL use more water than you did before. That's what they are for so be realistic when you think how many gallons a day you want to use. It's very very common to double the gallon per day usage for real world calculations.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 21:53   #10

Good morning,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. My boat is located in Preveza, Greece and I am going through Gibraltar in October next year. Therefore Mr. MacDonald may be too peripheral to me so I am probably going to buy the watermaker directly from Schenker. I am installing the “Ready 35 Lit/h”.

Fair winds,
Gunnar
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59   #11

Re: Anyone Tried Watermakers from Schenker ?

Hi Camelot. I am thinking to install a Ready 35 also. Whats your experience? Hope well and wish you safe journeys with the comfort of lots of fresh water!
kurt keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Anyone Tried Watermakers from Schenker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post

C
1.4A per hour>>> Spectra Watermachines - Clark Pump is World's Most Efficient Marine Watermaker - Ventura 150

Tags
watermaker