Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 11:53   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Anybody Can Buy a Boat, Getting Away is the Hard Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
It would not occur to most 16 year olds to sail around the horn. Certainly less than one in a million do. I doubt many regret not doing so. I find those who trumpet their own personal decision, implicitly or directly criticising those who make different decisions rather tiresome.
I agree with you - but perhaps that also because the world has moved on from the days when Cape Horn was such big news. Not that it is not still one helluva challenge, but a squillion other things now on the radar, even if not all of the same sort of challenge.

Not sure what the deal is with young people in the US but UK wise pretty normal for overseas travel to not only be on the wishlist but achievable, whether that RTW via India etc on the "backpackers" trail before Uni or Ibiza for 10 days of sun, sand and "frolics" .......of course most don't then wander the world, by land or by boat.......but extended land travels (and adventures! of whatever you want them to be) have never been more in reach - a squillion more opportunities on land than 30 years ago. and a squillion more people (of all ages) now doing them.

Certainly if I was looking to "go now" on a tight budget (at any age) for an extended (or everlasting!) voyage my first choice would be by.........Jumbo Jet!, a boat way down the list - for that you really do need to like boats and a bit of sailing. and the challenges that the sea brings........otherwise it is just hard work. certainly ain't cheaper than ashore (if outside the West).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 12:02   #17

Re: Anybody Can Buy a Boat, Getting Away is the Hard Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
All I can offer is that I recently read a book called Live on the Margin and it changed the entire way I think about life/work/retirement. If you are wondering how/when you can get away, read that book.
Bumfuzzle wrote a book? Surely a page turner. Didn't they get banned from this forum? Or am I mistaken?

My wife enjoyed reading their blog, I never bothered after my wife told me they painted their Man-Overboard-Pole gray because they thought orange was too loud of a color.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote