Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 16:53   #1

Any New Ideas on Insulation ?

Hi!
I am new to the forum so if I do something wrong let me know! I am getting ready to sail the inland passage in Alaska for about a year or so. That means winter on the boat probably Wrangell. I have thought of using the small bubble packing material on the inside of the hull (glued) this would allow water to drain down if condensation formed. Also the under side of the v berth and other areas. For the cabin top I have considered foam backed headliner held by battens. I will use solid fuel or diesel heater for cabin heat. We plan on one day a week staying on shore just for a break from such a small boat (24 ft yankee dolphin) I am 70 and mywife 64 but we have done a lot of camping and can do without a lot of creature comforts. The Doc's tell me my "bucket" may have a hole in it so I better work on my "bucket list" before it runs out. Any suggestions other than "see a shrink" would be appreciated.
Frank & Diane
Americans by birth....Alaskans by choice
sitkatm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If I'm correct I believe your boat is of timber construction...
I would not bother, as something like a Taylors paraffin/diesel heater will be more than adequate to keep her warm and dry.
I have found plastic fantastics much harder to keep warm and dry than wooden boats. But thats living aboard in the UK where temps are not as extreme... tho' I have had ice inside once or twice...lol.
Just keep well ventilated when cooking tho' as if you've got propane you'll be chucking out moisture like crazy... and not just from your pans...lol.
As for the deckhead/under v-berth why not use cork....
Hope its a grand adventure....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 18:32   #3

Hi!
The boat is a 1970 fiberglass I believe that they quit making the wooden ones about 1965. How does the cork work as far as absorbing moisture? I intend to use a butane stove for cooking with the hatch open while doing so.
Frank
Old 03-05-2010, 18:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Skip the cork for grp apart from the headlining... its good insulation but its not that absorbant.. do you store anything under the v-berth.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 03-05-2010, 18:48   #5

Yes water tank spare lines etc. I have noticed that the v berth is wet under the cushions so I thought that a bit of insulation on the bottomside could help.
Frank
Old 03-05-2010, 18:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The Frugal Mariner: Advice for the cash-starved boater -- Insulating your boat

Here is a link to an article on insulating your boat. Its a big project but may be of use to you.

You want something under your mattress that will allow air to circulate. There are products made especially for that, but you can make something yourself out of slats. Also a big thing is keeping the air circulating so you will want fans which may necessitate increasing your battery capacity. Good luck
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:02   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The Frugal Mariner: Advice for the cash-starved boater -- Insulating your boat

Here is a link to an article on insulating your boat. Its a big project but may be of use to you.

You want something under your mattress that will allow air to circulate. There are products made especially for that, but you can make something yourself out of slats. Also a big thing is keeping the air circulating so you will want fans which may necessitate increasing your battery capacity. Good luck
That guy is brilliant and did what we are planning on doing, only better than my plan was ; -)

I hadn't considered the second layer...

thanks for the link!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If you could find somewhere to grab a load of the foam/polystyrene blobs/shapes they use in packing and chuck em down there to 1/2 - 3/4 fill it then lay some carpet offcuts on top and use the remaining space for stowage...
You should be able to get hold of some from Walmart or Staples stores who just trash em usually... maybe cheap enough to buy...
Used them in a Virgo Voyager in the 90's... worked a treat... and it'll insulate your water tank a bit as well

Old 03-05-2010, 19:34   #9

Boat: Still looking
New idea in insulation

You might try a product by Superior Products International HSC1000 It is brushed on to a thickness of 25 Mills and gives an R19 equvilant value of insulation
Old 03-05-2010, 21:15   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Spray on foam. Anywhere you have the inside air touching a cold hull that is below the temperature of the dew point of the air inside the boat, you will get condensation. Spray on foam completely stops air from reaching a cold hull. No other form of insulation, except for perhaps the product just mentioned above, completely stops cabin air from touching the hull. That's the key to stopping the condensation. The thicker, the better the R value.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 21:21   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
+1 for spray-on foam. I've had considerable success with this, to insulate both the hull and the fridge.
Old 04-05-2010, 20:01   #12

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
25 mils which is .025" gives an R19 value!!!!! You are reading garbage specs!!!

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation