Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 03:12   #1

Boat: Halmatic 30
Another newbie anchor & chain thread... (groan)

Hello fellow forumites,

I intend to do much more anchoring this current season and I am not 100% happy with the current set up that came with the boat.

Said boat is 27 feet long and weighs 4 metric tonnes. Presently I have a Lewmar Delta anchor of around 10KG plus a mixed chain rode comprising 30 metres of 8mm joined with one of those horrible chain link joiners to a further 35 metres of 6mm chain. The secondary anchor is an original CQR of around 6KG with 2 metres of chain and about 20 metres of nylon rode.

Cruising the west coast of Scotland, it seems many potential anchorages get deep very quickly. As an example, yesterday I anchored in a small bay that shelved from 25 metres to 4 metres in a space of about 10 metres. Now I was only anchoring for lunch, and was nearly at the top of the tide (3.5m above datum) so I anchored in 3.7 metres and let out 20 metres of chain. Had I wanted to use this as an overnight stop, however, I would have been aground at low tide. Move the boat a few metres further out and I'm in 25 metres!

So... I'm guessing I need to up the overall rode length....

Here are my thoughts:

Upgrade to new generation anchor (I'm thinking a 13KG Knox as I can get a decent discount at the mo...) plus 50 metres of new 8mm calibrated chaain to go on the manual windlass. The reason 50 metres instead of the current 65 metres is that all 8mm will take up more room in the anchor locker which is already almost full. The another 50 metres of 12mm 3 ply nylon but kept separately in another locker to be shackled on to the chain for deeper water.

Keep the Delta as the 2nd anchor and use the 30 metres of 8mm chain that exists on it already. Probably keep the CQR as well just for added options!

So.... does my plan seem sound? Next year I plan starting my 'grand tour ' so I want a reliable ground tackle set up. I should add that I single hand pretty much always.

thoughts from the panel please...!
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 04:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another newbie anchor & chain thread... (groan)

Sounds good to me.. 50metres should be adequate for normal anchoring using my mode which is 3.5 x boat length plus depth for windy conditions.. all chain.
Doubt you will ever need the full 50 metres nylon rode.. I would be more inclined towards anchor plait which is kinder on the hands.. has in built spring.. does not harden like nylon a therefore easier to stow in limited space.. 30metres should prove sufficient.
Oh.. and dont use a swivel.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 10:47   #3

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Another newbie anchor & chain thread... (groan)

Thanks. 30 metres would save space (never seems to be enough space!) though I suppose if I am looking at keeping the Delta as a back up along with 30m chain for it, I should also have at least another 30m of rode to go with that too....

Oh well, I suppose all that rope will come in handy for all the bondage parties lol
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor