Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 05:39   #1

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Another fl anchoring threat, what to do

The link below is written by wally moran and in it is links to who you can contact and what we cab do I'f interested.
Another Florida Anchoring Threat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:59   #2

Re: Another fl anchoring threat, what to do

(legislator)

I am writing to register my opposition to Senator Dean’s recently introduced bill www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/1548.

In particular, I object to any type of anchoring setoffs for the following reasons:

They are a clear violation of our rights to use the waters of the state freely, as defined in the Public Trust Doctrine

They create numerous dangerous scenarios for boaters facing weather or other issues by denying them a place to safely anchor

They do not solve any of the problems cited by the State of Florida and/or the FWC, in particular, derelict boats

There are already laws on the books to deal with the purported issues being raised

This bill serves only to placate waterfront homeowners who wish to remove boats from their view. This is a completely dishonest use of your legislative power.

The 200 foot setoff will eliminate virtually every anchorage in SW Florida, and most of those elsewhere in the state

You may not be aware of the following facts:

Over 12000 boats come into Florida every fall/winter. These boaters generate considerable revenue for Florida businesses. The average boater’s budget is in excess of $1500 per month. That’s $18 million per month as a minimum. This does not count capital expenditures in Florida for such things as repairs, replacements or necessary upgrades on the boat, expenditures which are vital to the financial health of small marine oriented business in Florida.

Boaters are not one or two week vacationers on tiny budgets. Snowbird boaters will often stay as long as six months, making their financial contribution to the state of Florida much more important.

The vast majority of boaters are responsible individuals who obey the laws and who work to improve our sport so that all may benefit.

This past winter, there were waiting lists for a mooring ball of as many as 30 boats in Marathon’s Boot Key Harbor. The same situation existed in Miami, with Dinner Key having almost no available slips or mooring balls from mid-December. Fort Lauderdale of course has only ten or so mooring balls and again, almost no available slips.

Just where do boaters go if there is no available dockage/moorage and there are no anchorages available? Has anyone even thought of that? Have you?

As a boater, should you pass this legislation, I will be forced to go elsewhere - which is of course what those backing this Bill wish to see happen. I will of course take my money with me.

As a voter, I assure you, your vote in favor of this Bill will lose mine, and we ARE watching what you do through our various boating organizations. There will be repercussions.

I repeat, please do not support this Bill. The negative consequences of doing so for all concerned, with the exception of a very few waterfront homeowners, is far too great.

Lastly, I wish to hear from you your intentions regarding this Bill so that I may inform other boaters of what you intend to do. Please contact me via this email address.

Sincerely,

(Name, address, email address)

Old 17-03-2015, 08:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

This bill is a direct result of all the derelict vessels who lived in homeless encampments on the water in the State of Florida creating an eyesore for homeowners, businesses, recreational areas and real cruisers en route. After reading the bill, the only truly unreasonable requirement is the 200 foot anchoring restriction which, as Scuba says, would eliminate most anchoring areas in Florida. I am not in favor of any restrictions to anchoring, however, it is likely our hand is being forced by the long arm of government due to the egregious nature of the former status quo. This is not good news for cruisers and we need to voice our discontent to Senator Dean's office with an e-mail or letter. Scuba's open letter was well written and could be used to this effect. For those of us who enjoy the waters of Florida, this must be stopped. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 18-03-2015, 10:52   #4

Some additional information on what SSCA is doing so far

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1911...2703117228314/

I hope the link works
captainron369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 10:58   #5

Actually this is not a result of "Derelict Boats" but is the result of a few well heeled Miami property owners that think they own the view of the water from their home and don't want to see boaters from their backyard. There are currently laws that would deal with derelict boats if enforced.
Old 18-03-2015, 11:06   #6

That's been stated and answer on 3 different threads about 100 times but thanks.

Old 18-03-2015, 12:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
That's been stated and answer on 3 different threads about 100 times but thanks.

Yes, I should have referred to 'rognvald' post he is the one that said it was a result of derelict boats.
Old 18-03-2015, 15:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron369 View Post
Yes, I should have referred to 'rognvald' post he is the one that said it was a result of derelict boats.

Ron,
It's not as simple as you believe. This bill was not solely the result of a few incidences behind waterfront homes in Miami Beach/South Florida or elsewhere, but also the blight created around harbors, popular anchorages and mangrove cities throughout coastal Florida created by these derelict boats. In fact, the senator who has introduced this bill is from the North/Central Gulf coast . . . not the Miami area. Cruisers who have experienced first hand the Dinner Key homeless camp, Boot Key Harbor and Ft. Meyers Beach enclave before it was "cleaned up" fully understand. In any case, I have e-mailed my complaint to Senator Dean in opposition to Senate Bill 1548. I urge others to do the same. Good luck and good sailing. P.S. Have you seen the longstanding eyesore off Wisteria Island in Key West? What do you think Key West's Tourism board thinks about that?
Old 19-03-2015, 16:05   #9

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

THANK YOU JERRY PAUL!
Thanks to Jerry and Capitol Access, SSCA, BoatUS, and Floridians who have contacted their representatives, progress is being made. "Eyes are being opened. Legislative members are being won over. They are swinging our way.
See the most recent on this issue at:
Pushing back against proposed anchoring laws in Florida located in Gulf Coast - Florida | Waterway Guide News Update

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 19-03-2015, 16:54   #10

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

You guys crack me up. When you finally come to terms with the fact that Florida (as a whole) already has more transient boat traffic than its waters can handle, you might begin to wonder if your "right" to turn the State into a peripheral aquatic parking lot is such a good thing after all.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 11:49   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
You guys crack me up. When you finally come to terms with the fact that Florida (as a whole) already has more transient boat traffic than its waters can handle, you might begin to wonder if your "right" to turn the State into a peripheral aquatic parking lot is such a good thing after all.

Jacques
There are lots of transient boats in Florida waters. But there are also lots of places for boats. The problem is that most of the transient boats want to anchor close to a free dinghy dock with free water that is a short walk to Publix, West Marine, and local watering holes.

For you guys that cut class the day they taught Economics 101 this is a simple question of supply and demand. The demand for anchoring space is greater than the supply. Back when I first started sailing on my Dad's boat in Biscayne Bay in 1954 he taught me to never anchor closer than ten boat lengths to another boat, so my Dad would think the 200 ft offset was too small. Even when we moved to Marathon in 1967 if you anchored with in 200 feet of another boat or house you would get dirty looks. But with the number of boats there are now and how the boat owners want to get close to shore facilities I see boats as close as one boat length to other boats.

Bottom line is that when demand outstrips supply rationing occurs. Economics teaches us rationing can be done using price or using time. So now you have to pay more money and wait longer to get a good spot to anchor.

Matching supply and demand is not just a good idea, it is the law.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 13:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post

Jacques
So, Neeltje,
How would you restrict the number of boaters to prevent a "Aquatic parking lot" in Florida? Lottery system for boat owners? Higher fees/taxes and registration to limit boating to only the most financially capable? Restrictions/limitations of certain types of vessels: sail, fishing, trawlers, canoes, catamarans? Limiting number of days on the water.? Limiting time on the water? Banning all non-US citizens from Florida waters? Whenever I hear comments like this it is always about more government in peoples lives. Some people just love to be controlled. This just cracks me up! Good luck, good sailing, and "Let them eat cake?"
Old 21-03-2015, 13:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

For you guys that cut class the day they taught Economics 101 this is a simple question of supply and demand.
I must have cut school the day they taught that the answer to more demand than supply was to further cut the supply.

This law will further cut the availability of anchorages in a general way, without too much thought about the consequences. I don't mind if they want to add teeth to laws about derelict boats, but I don't like mixing in the "waterfront property view enhancement" concept.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:19   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I must have cut school the day they taught that the answer to more demand than supply was to further cut the supply.

This law will further cut the availability of anchorages in a general way, without too much thought about the consequences. I don't mind if they want to add teeth to laws about derelict boats, but I don't like mixing in the "waterfront property view enhancement" concept.
You are still not getting what rationing means.

When demand exceeds supply goods and services are rationed. Traditionally rationing was done by price. Another method of rationing was by time, e.g. making folks wait to obtain goods and services.

Rationing by price was normally favored because a higher price would attract more suppliers who would not be able to make a profit at a lower price. Rationing by time was favored when the supply was limited and the goal was to drive down the demand.

Rationing by both price and time were similar in that (in economic terms) they both increased friction in obtaining goods and services. This is basically what the proposed anchoring laws in Florida are trying to do, increase the friction required to anchor your boat.

But it is important to note that the increased friction only occurs in very small areas. The monkey in the wrench is that those small areas are very popular places where lots of folks want to anchor. When I am cruising I have anchored in lots of places where I never see another boat. The problem is that many folks are not really cruising, they are simply living on their boat while needing to be close to shore facilities for food, water, gas, parts, and watering holes.

Another consideration is that from an environmental standpoint more boaters means more environmental damage on many fronts. I suspect the average Florida citizen could care less about anchoring rights, but does not like the idea of cruisers dirtying up the environment.

Non Florida citizens griping about messing up Florida waters is a bad idea.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
You are still not getting what rationing means.

When demand exceeds supply goods and services are rationed. Traditionally rationing was done by price. Another method of rationing was by time, e.g. making folks wait to obtain goods and services.

Non Florida citizens griping about messing up Florida waters is a bad idea.
I understand rationing, and this law isn't about that. This is purposefully reducing the supply, which isn't the same as rationing. The solution to a limited supply isn't further limiting the supply.

If this were cruisers asking for more moorings, that would indicate what you're saying. They wouldn't be trying to reduce or restrict the use of natural anchorages.

Also, I'm a Florida citizen, so I guess I get a vote both on this forum and in the Florida legislature. Since this regulation also affects cruisers from outside of Florida, I suppose they should have a voice as well.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring