Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 17:11   #46
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Another fl anchoring threat, what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Hey Ralph!

We skipped Marco and Naples entirely for that reason.

Most of our problems were in the upper Keys. We were hassled both by the FWC and the Monroe County Sheriff Patrol. On each occasion we were legally anchored, but it was made clear that we would be "checked", and "inspected" as often as necessary until we moved.

At one point, anchored nowhere near any channel, we were temporarily disabled and making repairs. Since he couldn't make us move, the Deputy requested to see the receipt where we had ordered our parts! I told him to report to his keepers (homeowners across the way) that we would be fixed in a couple days, and he hung his head. This occurred in a spot that has been listed as an anchorage on charts as far back as charts of the Keys go. Specifically, the left fork of the Snake River in Islamorada. Since they couldn't make us move, residents showed their derision by waking our boat dangerously close (50 feet from the no wake zone sign) at full speed. Another boat from Marco Island was anchored nearby for a couple of days, was also hassled even though it was a nice big trawler. He reported that a couple of times the residents came so close he was certain they had hit us! The Sheriff tried to tell me that we were anchored in a "channel". When I pointed out that this fork only has 2 feet of water at the end he dropped that argument but still insisted we had to move.

I know it is uncomfortable for many Americans to believe that the USA can operate like a 3rd World Country like this, where the rich have all the say, but this is exactly what we experienced. Maybe because we don't care much for the mooring field trailer parks, we tend to anchor more than others. When we're not at home, we usually avoid marinas as well, and this puts us on the hook just about all of the time.

Hope you and Beverly are well, and Kim and I hope to see you back cruising soon!

Larry

'
We're doing well these days, thanks. Port St. Joe is one of our favorite stops at a marina. Great place to re-provision, with Piggly Wiggly right there. Oh, and a nice little liquor store. We'll stop by for a visit if you happen to be there.

Any gamblers here willing to guess what the percentage is of this new rules change succeeding? No doubt, cruising through Florida sure is different than doing the ICW in Texas. No anchorages to be had for 160 miles. This was last week for us-

Click image for larger version

Name:	barges on <a title=ICW.jpg Views: 106 Size: 359.2 KB ID: 99302" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	barge and seagulls.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	99303

Name:	Brazos floodgates.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	99304

Name:	Caney swing bridge.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	99305

Name:	Colorado river locks.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	99306

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 23:07   #47

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post

I know it is uncomfortable for many Americans to believe that the USA can operate like a 3rd World Country like this, where the rich have all the say, but this is exactly what we experienced. Maybe because we don't care much for the mooring field trailer parks, we tend to anchor more than others. When we're not at home, we usually avoid marinas as well, and this puts us on the hook just about all of the time.'
Larry, I really have to take issue with this. That "The Rich" have all the say in America seems self-evident, but I can't think of a single 3rd World Country where said "Rich" (should there be any) pose a major anchoring problem unless you get within gunshot of their property.

I also don't think that telling a cop to go back to his keepers is the best way to endear ones self to local law enforcement. I much prefer the "Yes, officer, but..." approach.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 05:30   #48

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
...................I also don't think that telling a cop to go back to his keepers is the best way to endear ones self to local law enforcement. I much prefer the "Yes, officer, but..." approach.
Yep. Insulting a person with a gun and a badge is not the smart way to handle a situation.
Old 24-03-2015, 09:39   #49

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I eliminated the irrelevant stuff that had nothing to do with rationing from my response. This isn't about who has the most relevant "Florida cred", it's about who has the more sensible argument.

So your position is that Florida should make it more difficult to anchor in the state. Got it. That could also be accomplished simply through a more thorough registration and tax process. Unless this is just about some homeowner who doesn't want boats anchored in front of his property.

I suspect most Florida citizens don't really care, which is why the legislature is always trying to sneak in some very specific rules on a short time frame without a lot of citizen input, and vote on it in a legislative session.

Those who DO care should be providing some inputs to their legislature. I generally believe that the less regulation, the better. I definitely don't think you should give the government more authority than they need in order to solve any specific problem.

And that's where we are. What is the specific problem they're trying to solve? If it's derelict boats, I think we're giving more authority than needed, and maybe not enough specific resources.
The specific problem is too many boats anchoring in popular places at popular times.

Boot Key harbor is a great example of this. At the height of the season there is a waiting list for balls that can approach 40 boats. Sisters Creek will sometimes have ten boats anchored along with the usual small tourist fishing boats drifting and the tourist kayaks trying to avoid them, not to mention the heavier than normal traffic using Sisters Creek to get in or out of the harbor while one or sometimes two boats anchor off the public beach to use the bathrooms, fresh water showers, and fill their water jugs.

Using the West entrance is even worse. Boats anchored as close as 30-40 feet from each other and normally once a week CH68 will have traffic about one dragging anchor and playing bumper cars with the other boat. Once you get past the bridge to no where you start hitting the traffic from the high end marinas clogging up the channel while slowly entering or exiting their slips. Past Sunset Grill you can sometimes count fifty boats anchored South of the Seven Mile Bridge adding their dinghy traffic to the already over burdened channel, normally at a full plane.

Unfortunately Marathon is one of the better places. Key West is a zoo with no really protected anchorage and more traffic. But both of these places pale compared to Biscayne Bay and the ICW which is even more crowded along with the additional problem of not everyone speaking the same language.

Best guess is over 400 boats are anchored or on a ball in or close to Boot Key Harbor in the season, and maybe fifty in the summer. So how would you suggest resources should be allocated to deal with maximum demand and not take a big economic hit in the off season.

Restricting anchoring seems like the best solution to me.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 09:49   #50

Call me a conspiracy theorist but could it be that this newly revitalized drive to kick anchoring liveaboards out of FL waters is a concerted effort of those with marina interests in Cuba? I do think that, everything else considered, Cuba will be the logical 1st choice for such boaters once it becomes fully kosher for US flagged vessels to stay there long term.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 10:56   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Call me a conspiracy theorist ..............
You are a conspiracy theorist.

Your imagination is running wild.

Tags
anchor, anchoring