Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2009, 16:29   #1

Boat: 27 Lancer Sail/Cruiser
Another dumb old newbie question

I am on a non equity partnership on a sailboat in Dana Point Harbor on a, I think 1986 or 1987 27 foot Lancer sailboat....I am getting a little nervous about all the bad news I am reading about Lancers in general on this forum. But I have a fantastic partner and totally enjoy being around him and his sailing knowlege. We have had it in 6 to 10 foot seas and it is definately a workout as it is such a lite boat, but in moderate winds it almost sails itself. It actually has a small easily accessable swim step from the back of the cockpit that even a child has no problem getting to and we are adding teak extensions with a ladder for easy access in and out of the water. We can easily do 5 to 7 knots in a good wind and the boat definately heels very slightly which makes for a comfortable cruise, especially for the ladies. and having the capability of doing up to 10 or 11 knots with a 40hp outboard on back to me is a great plus. The cockpit is large, roomy and comfortable and the cabin is roomy and never ever has a musty smell that I have smelled in other sail boats before and very user friendly for a 27 ft boat. Everything works just fine and I was wondering as a novice sailor what are the down sides to this boat that I should be concerned about?? We will never be sailing past Catalina and the boat is fit with every safety gear known to man. Admittitly it is a little tough with a good wind gettig in and out of the slip because of the hight of the freeboards, but its the only problem we ever experience. could you please offer some things that we really should be keeping our eyes on in regards to the safety and integrity of this boat that I am not currently seeing as a novice..
Thanks, Al
bigalcalbisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 17:07   #2

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Is that Panache?

I know the revious owners well and can help you out if it is.

I will be seeing them next sat at DPYC
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 18:22   #3

Nope Thats Not The Boat

It was bought in San Diego About 8 Months Ago.
Thanks for you reply however.
Old 25-04-2009, 18:41   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
shame on you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalcalbisque View Post
I am getting a little nervous about all the bad news I am reading about Lancers in general on this forum.
...for paying boat snobs any heed.
Old 25-04-2009, 19:06   #5

Boat: Tayana 48
Big Al...
I don't know about Lancers in particular, but things you should pay attention to on any boat include, but are not limited to;

Standing rigging. Find out how old it is (hopefully less than 10 years, 15 at the outside), and if its been "tuned", or adjusted, lately.

Running rigging...halyards and sheets need to be in good condition and adequately sized for the loads they'll see.

Ground tackle...anchor, chain, rode, windlass (if present), and anchor-roller need to be sturdy, and more-than-adequate for the vessel. Don't skimp here.

Through-hulls...sound, no soggy wood bases. Make sure you know where every one is, and you can get to it. Exercise the handles to make sure each one operates correctly. Keep tapered wood plugs on hand in event of a failure.

Propeller shaft, and rudder, glands...ensure that these important glands (where the prop and rudder shaft exit the hull) have sufficient packing, and are adjusted correctly. Most are designed to allow just a drop or 2 of water to pass, to lubricate the packing. Too much (too loose), or not enough (too tight) are not good. Make sure the two bolts controlling this are adjusted evenly.

Proper, working, navigation lights...running, steaming, and anchor.

Inspect the helm, and its linkages. Get familiar with the quadrant, how it works, and potential failure modes (and their solutions).

Motor...endless blah blah blah here. At least monitor oil use, coolant level (if appropriate), and operating temps. Carry spare raw-water impellers, and know how to replace one.

Batteries...assuming they're lead-acid, check water-level. Only add distilled water.

That's a good starting point. I'm sure I missed lots, but you get the idea. Hopefully the owner can shed light on all of these areas. If he can't, that by itself is something to be wary of...

Enjoy your boat!

John
Old 25-04-2009, 20:10   #6

Thanks John

Good advice!! I will run a check on these items this week.