Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 04:58   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran
Annapolis to Salem, MA: via Norfolk or C&D?

In a few weeks, I will be delivering a Benne 473 from Annapolis to Salem MA. Crew will be the inexperienced husband and wife owners. It's a delivery and (for me at least) time is of the essence.

Other than traffic and being aware of timing the current in the Canal and in the Delaware River, can those who have done one or both routes share any other issues that might cause me to consider going all the way around the Delmarva Peninsula and past Norfolk rather than use the Canal and enter the Atlantic at Cape May?

Thanks in advance for your help.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:23   #2

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I have been both ways several times. It depends on the boat. I do not know the Benne 437, so I am assuming it is a capable twin engine cruiser.

Some observations, there are no fix bridges or restrictions on either route except the 55 foot bridge into Cape May which is common to both routes if you choose to go that way.

Weather is almost never a factor for a boat that size on the Chesapeake Bay or Delaware Bay. It is occasionally a factor in the ocean so you might make a decision at the last minute.

The Chesapeake Bay C&D Canal route has many lovely sites to stop for dinner or an evening on sure. I understand time is critical, however you would be a real her hero if you stop the nice restaurant And give your crew break.

The trips are nearly the same length and near the same time. I choose the Chesapeake Bay route because the weather unknown makes it harder to predict the ocean travel time. If I reach the Chesapeake Bay entrance and I see a couple days of nice weather on the horizon, and I'm comfortable with the crew offshore, I choose that route.

If fuel is an issue I choose the Chesapeake Bay route.

Either way it's a nice trip.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:27   #3

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Annapolis to Salem, MA: via Norfolk or C&D?

No reason to go down the Bay. You would add another day to your trip.
Bring fly swatters and insect repellent.

If you have a shoal keel you can stop in Chesapeake City. You can enter Cape May from the ocean side - don't try to use the canal. Your mast is too high. From there you can go to Block Island or up the coast and through the East River to LIS.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
I do not know the Benne 437, so I am assuming it is a capable twin engine cruiser.
Oops, I should have been more clear in my OP. The boat is a Beneteau 473, a 47 foot monohull, reputed to be a good sailor with an under power cruising speed of around 6-7 kts.

Barring bad wx, once into the Atlantic, I plan to go offshore.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:39   #5

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Once offshore, stay offshore. There is nothing especially difficult about that stretch of the Atlantic.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05   #6

The C&D to the Delaware is definitely the shorter route. The down side is that there are no good anchorages on the Delaware. You will not be able to use the Cape May canal but I have never had any trouble just running around the cape a mile or 2 off the beach. I draw 6 1/2'. The lower Delaware is often rough but not unmanageable. I find running just outside the ship channel marks on the north side avoids mot of the traps. As someone pointed out, once offshore stay offshore, take a straight line to Block Island.
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
In a few weeks, I will be delivering a Benne 473 from Annapolis to Salem MA. Crew will be the inexperienced husband and wife owners. It's a delivery and (for me at least) time is of the essence.

Other than traffic and being aware of timing the current in the Canal and in the Delaware River, can those who have done one or both routes share any other issues that might cause me to consider going all the way around the Delmarva Peninsula and past Norfolk rather than use the Canal and enter the Atlantic at Cape May?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Howdy!

About 2 months ago I asked about this route in a thread I started. I was curious about local knowledge for the C&D and bridges and inlets.

Several nice CF members answered with good tips and suggestions.

I encourage you to take a look at the following thread's comments.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-185931.html

Then in late June 2017 I helped sail a 48 foot boat from Norfolk past Cape Cod and further North, keeping offshore.

The weather was perfect for our voyage, with a southerly and following seas. The greatest hazard in the Chesapeake was the sun, as it was intense and quickly caused sunburn (so take sunscreen).

Offshore, we had dense fog as we approached Cape Cod, and the use of RADAR and AIS helped then.

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20   #8

Thanks all, looks like I have a plan!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49   #9

I've done most of that trip several times. Up the bay thru the CnD and down around Cape May. If you are tired you can drop a hook in Cape May Harbor ( River side). Unless you are fighting weather you can roll up the coast.

Easy (fun?) stops AC and Brooklyn ? But time being an issue... maybe next time

A number of other bailouts along the way but check the depth but 6 ish ft is not too bad

Enjoy
SeaFeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09   #10

Boat: 50 Bene

Been on that route a few times. There is a pretty quiet anchorage just outside the CD canal on the north end just hang a left and motor up a few hundred yards and drop. Next Cape May just a bit North of the Coast Guard Training cutter( beware the coasties start early reveille and all) next leg up to sandy hook, then on up the east river to Manhasett Bay. They have several free moorings you can use and a few nice dingy docks. The free moorings are yellow and there is a big grocery right there for reprovisioning. Next stop Block Island! Make sure you are real careful about timing the east river passage. Catch it right and you'll be cruising it at 10+ kts fun! IMHO if the new owners haven't done many overnights I would keep them to a minimum.

Good luck
Will
Old 01-08-2017, 09:30   #11

+1 for C&D to Cape May Canal. Just did this trip to NYC. You'll be motoring, not sailing, but for a delivery it cuts mucho time off your trip.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25   #12

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

My wife and I took our Shannon 43 ketch (63' mainmast) from Atlantic City to Annapolis non-stop, transiting through the C&D at night, June 2016. Piece of cake. That's the way I'd go every time. The sides of the canal are well lit, and it's plenty wide, even when ships pass.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:09   #13

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:

===

I've done it both ways but never starting from Annapolis. Starting that far north I'd definitely take the C&D canal. If you leave on a flooding tide you can have the current with you most of the way and that's a big plus. There's an anchorage behind Reedy Island at the east end of the canal if you need one, also just inside the ocean inlet at Cape May. Be cautious doing offshore overnights with inexperienced crew.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23   #14

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
With all due respect I'm a little concerned about taking on a delivery like this, especially with inexperienced owners aboard, and asking this question.

Look at the charts. For a Bene 473 Annapolis to the mouth of the Delaware bay through the C&D is about 22 hours. It would take almost that long just to get to Norfolk before heading up the DELMARVA Atlantic Coast.

It's a delivery, presumably you're taking money. You need to deliver value.

Owner-aboard deliveries are always going to add another level of complexity. If the owner wants to stop you stop. Before long it isn't a delivery, it's a cruise. You have had that discussion with the owners correct?

Here is the delivery:

First get a crew member. Put the owners in a stern cabin, you take the other one, and the crew sleeps either forward (when conditions are light) or on the settee. Watches are 4-on, 8-off. Who gets what isn't important except I would put the owners on bridge watches: if the owner watch is 8-12 put one owner on 6-10 (overlapping with you, perhaps) and the other owner on 10-2 (overlapping with your crew). You're on deck for every watch change, including especially the one between the two owners. These are teaching moments.

Make sure you have a real grip on allergies and tastes before provisioning. You want this to be a good experience for the owners.

Leave Annapolis to make slack before flood at Worton Point. You care about current not tide. See https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...s?id=ACT5111_1 . Last line off the dock in Annapolis (assuming Back Creek and not Galesville or Deale) four hours before that time. Make 6 kts STW and you'll make the mouth of the Delaware Bay in 20ish hours from Annapolis except in a SE wind. Watch the wind on the Chesapeake. Tide and current both shift with North and South winds.

From there you sail 45-50°T to clear Nantucket. The Cape Cod canal takes too long. Go outside. Sail most favored tack. Keep a running fuel consumption spreadsheet. You'll want that to make educated decisions about sail or motor.

How are you getting weather offshore? If you need Internet the world won't end as you can get an update over cellular from Cape May or Lewes before heading out. It's only a day and half before you get Internet again.

If the owner's want stops things change. First stop is Schaefer's Canal House on the C&D. You won't make it into the basin at Chesapeake City. Cape May is a poor choice; you won't fit under the fixed bridge and the time to head in from the Atlantic is wasted. Anchor inside the inner breakwater (the middle of three) at Cape Henlopen. Atlantic City, Atlantic Highlands, run the East River (a post in itself), Hempstead Harbor, Point Judith, Salem. ish. No end of choices. That's going to take a long time.

I do consulting for this stuff, between my own trips. Email if you want help.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I'm kinda with Auspicious on this one.

Owner assisted are tough. Owner assisted when owner has marginal skills, can be a nightmare. Did one a little while back. At 0300 or so got hit by squall. Asked owners friend to head into the wind while I tried to reef. Long story short- darn near got me hurt badly. He could not motor into the wind. Unless the crew has been offshore stay inside.

IMHO- Fire up the engine in Annapolis and motor as far as possible.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, sale