Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2013, 15:54   #1

Annapolis to New York in December?

We need to bring our Vindo MS50 35' up from Annapolis to Lake Champlain. Our proposed route is:

1) Annapolis to C&D Canal
2) C&D Canal down the Delaware and around Cape May
3) Along coast to New York Harbor
4) Turn right at the Statue of Liberty and go up the East River to Port Washington

I have talked to several other people who have done this route late Spring (i.e. late May or June) and I have the maps, cruising guides, etc. The difference is that we're looking to do it in December. I have been told that it can get pretty hairy down around the Delaware Bay that time of year - big square seas - often 10 foot plus. I'm less worried about the winds (most likely 15-30kts from what I hear). Looking at Weather Underground, I show several times during the months of April and early May with 10ft+ waves. If we find this to be the case, we've discussed heading farther offshore for the trip up.

We will probably get a few days of sailing in before the longer trip. This will be our first time on the boat.

For the trip, I only have a heavy weather experience myself,

Can anyone tell me anything about what to expect this time of year? We're looking at doing it the last two weeks of December. We estimate 8 days (stopping each night), but are leaving 6 days of extra time so we can deal with poor weather or other issues. Alternatively, we may just run up the coast and push straight through to New York Harbor (entering in daylight). I don't need to make a decision NOW as to whether we will be doing this or not.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Victor
victorCesarBota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:38   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorCesarBota View Post
We need to bring our Vindo MS50 35' up from Annapolis to Lake Champlain. Our proposed route is:

4) Turn right at the Statue of Liberty and go up the East River to Port Washington

I have talked to several other people who have done this route late Spring (i.e. late May or June) and I have the maps, cruising guides, etc. The difference is that we're looking to do it in December. I have been told that it can get pretty hairy down around the Delaware Bay that time of year - big square seas - often 10 foot plus. I'm less worried about the winds (most likely 15-30kts from what I hear). Looking at Weather Underground, I show several times during the months of April and early May with 10ft+ waves. If we find this to be the case, we've discussed heading farther offshore for the trip up.

We will probably get a few days of sailing in before the longer trip. This will be our first time on the boat.

Can anyone tell me anything about what to expect this time of year? We're looking at doing it the last two weeks of December. We estimate 8 days (stopping each night), but are leaving 6 days of extra time so we can deal with poor weather or other issues. Alternatively, we may just run up the coast and push straight through to New York Harbor (entering in daylight). I don't need to make a decision NOW as to whether we will be doing this or not.

Victor
I did that trip in late May.. Had 10' seas at the bottom of delaware bay, thunderstorm at sandy hook..if you are under 55' you can save 2 hours by cutting thru cape may canal. Nice place to drop anchor and spend the night in front of the CG station. Took me 4 days stopping every night to get to sandy hook sailing single handed.
Was a nice trip.
Spent first night in the c&d canal, 2nd night in cape may, 3rd night in barneget bay and last night in sandy hook.
JMR324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 04:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Annapolis to New York in December?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Victor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 07:20   #4

What is the best timeto enter the C/D canal, the Delaware Bay and Cape may Canal

thanks

victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR324 View Post
I did that trip in late May.. Had 10' seas at the bottom of delaware bay, thunderstorm at sandy hook..if you are under 55' you can save 2 hours by cutting thru cape may canal. Nice place to drop anchor and spend the night in front of the CG station. Took me 4 days stopping every night to get to sandy hook sailing single handed.
Was a nice trip.
Spent first night in the c&d canal, 2nd night in cape may, 3rd night in barneget bay and last night in sandy hook.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:45   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Plan for COLD. Think skiing in Vermont (you're headed there!) and add rain. Several layers of shirts & sweaters, long underwear, plus down jackets, then foul weather gear. Gloves. Waterproof gloves. Hats. If it does rain, or you get lots of spray, you may want a diving mask - but you say you have heavy weather experience, so you already know that. What sort of heating system does the boat have? We used a bulkhead-mounted heater for a transatlantic trip in June and it was barely sufficient. By December the water will be cold too. Also, if you are heading to Lake Champlain, why not go right up the Hudson? Going over to Port Washington means going through Hell Gate twice and adds a lot of time to the trip.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 03:32   #6

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
What is the best timeto enter the C/D canal, the Delaware Bay and Cape may Canal thanks victor
Time your trip to reach Reedy Point at high slack water--that way you get a push from the current through the canal and down the Delaware Bay. I haven't done it in December, though--brrrr!
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 04:05   #7
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

We just covered these grounds. Went outside. Easy, cold cold cold trip.
Watch the weather. Jib down, plenty of wind...
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 15:59   #8

I'm going to Port Washington not Lake Champlain
typo, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Plan for COLD. Think skiing in Vermont (you're headed there!) and add rain. Several layers of shirts & sweaters, long underwear, plus down jackets, then foul weather gear. Gloves. Waterproof gloves. Hats. If it does rain, or you get lots of spray, you may want a diving mask - but you say you have heavy weather experience, so you already know that. What sort of heating system does the boat have? We used a bulkhead-mounted heater for a transatlantic trip in June and it was barely sufficient. By December the water will be cold too. Also, if you are heading to Lake Champlain, why not go right up the Hudson? Going over to Port Washington means going through Hell Gate twice and adds a lot of time to the trip.
Old 23-11-2013, 16:00   #9

Quote:
We need to bring our Vindo MS50 35' up from Annapolis to Port Washington. Our proposed route is:

Victor

I'm going to Port Washington not Lake Champlain
typo, sorry
Old 23-11-2013, 17:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Dec the odds are that Nor'easters will be rolling through on a regular basis. You will have to go outside from DE to NY Harbor, more or less 150 miles or 24 hours in a sailboat.

If you have the time to wait for a weather window you can hang out at Cape May until you see a very clear forecast for at least a day or so and go for it. You do not want to get caught in a Nor'easter off the Jersey Shore so don't get locked into a schedule and make a hasty decision. If the forecast is even slightly doubtful don't do it.

Also, unless you get really, really lucky it's going to be as cold as a well digger's posterior.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, new york