Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 08:20   #1

Boat: Tartan TOCK
Annapolis to Mobjack

I'll hopefully be acquiring and moving a new to us boat that is in Annapolis. We will be moving it to Mobjack Bay and I'm wondering how long of a trek that is. I'd love to take our time and explore a bit on the way, but I think we'll just be trying to get it there as quickly and safely as possible and then explore the bay from there as time allows. I know there are a lot of variables, but assuming motoring if the wind isn't cooperating. She's a 41ft sailboat and I would figure when motoring moving between 5 and 7 knots.

Thanks!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:34   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Annapolis to Mobjack

It is roughly 90 miles. One long day or two more manageable days. You could stop in Solomons on night 1.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 09:31   #3

Boat: CS

What river on the Mobjack are you going to be keeping the boat? EAST river is stunning.
Lately the wind has been consistently South; if you can, wait for a front to blow through and ride the NW wind down. Leave late afternoon, pull in the next morning.
6227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:11   #4

Boat: Tartan TOCK

Thanks for the replies! Mobjack Bay Marina. I wish we had a bigger window but we only have a week so we're a bit limited. Soon, we'll be spending a lot more time on the boat and exploring the Chesapeake!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:26   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

If I were doing the trip and wanted to complete the trip ASAP without sailing over night, I'd go for the Great Wicomico from Annapolis. Then you'd have a relatively short trip the next day to Mobjack Bay. If your weeklong time frame does not include the travel time to and from UT, then I'd take it easy and stop in Solomons, Great Wicomico and maybe either the Rappahannock or Piankatank.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 14:29   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
If I were doing the trip and wanted to complete the trip ASAP without sailing over night, I'd go for the Great Wicomico from Annapolis. Then you'd have a relatively short trip the next day to Mobjack Bay. If your weeklong time frame does not include the travel time to and from UT, then I'd take it easy and stop in Solomons, Great Wicomico and maybe either the Rappahannock or Piankatank.

John
I was going to suggest the Great Wicomico, as well.

But with the menhaden plant there, wind direction will dictate where you anchor. If not out of the south, you could dock or anchor near town. If wind out of the south, anchor in Mill Creek. Or you could go further up the river to the Horn Harbor marina/restaurant.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, mob