Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 15:36   #1

Boat: Oyster 42
Thumbs up Anchoring Sydney Harbour

I’m looking for recommendations for the best places to anchor in Sydney Harbour please
Waihaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 16:29   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Anchoring Sydney Harbour

Anywhere north of the Tweed.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:40   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Pittwater !

but seriously, anchoring in sydney harbour for more than a quick over nighter is pretty difficult. anywhere sheltered is already fully choocked with moorings

might find a spot in blackwattle bay (west of harbour bridge, then under anzac bridge)

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:42   #4

Boat: currently boatless

There are several anchorages around the harbour but Sydney Harbour is a big place. Here is a list of new public moorings that may be suitable to you

>> 3 at Balmoral
>> 2 at Chinamans Beach
>> 1 at Chowder Bay
>> 1 at Taylors Bay
>> 1 at Camp Cove
>> 1 at Watsons Bay
>> 1 at Vaucluse Bay
>> 1 at Nielson Park
>> 2 at Hermit Bay
>> 4 at Rose Bay
>> 1 at McMahons Point West

There are also public moorings at Bantry Bay, Sugarloaf Bay, Manly Cove, Quarantine Beach and Athol Bay.
Most of these moorings should be available during the week but I would not like your chances on a weekend.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:13   #5

Boat: Oyster 42

Thank you Greg, Raymond and Chris, most helpful
Waihaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:38   #6

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

To the west of Bradley's Head is a decent anchorage in the prevailing northeasterlies. Not much fun in a southerly buster. Got one of those on NYE. It was carnage. Lots of boats dragged their anchors, a few hit other boats...

As long as the weather is moderate it's a great place from which to watch one of the best skylines in the world.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
To the west of Bradley's Head is a decent anchorage in the prevailing northeasterlies. Not much fun in a southerly buster. Got one of those on NYE. It was carnage. Lots of boats dragged their anchors, a few hit other boats...

As long as the weather is moderate it's a great place from which to watch one of the best skylines in the world.
this spot has the fringe benefit of listening to the animals in the zoo (which is right behind). very eerie hearing the lions at night...

cheers,
Old 02-01-2020, 19:06   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Blackwattle and Rozelle bays are well located for land exploration of the city, but the powers that be have only allocated small fringe areas for anchoring. This is still ok, except that these approved areas are very shallow. I suspect that your Farr will draw ~2m, and that means that most of the approved areas are not useful... but you can be lucky and wedge in to a good spot.

We stopped going into the harbour some years ago after a confrontation with an irate Maritime patrolman who abused us at the top of his lungs for drifting out of the buoyed area. Our anchor was within the limits... At any rate, the unfriendly "welcome" of the officials and regulations has kept us out, and we don't really miss it!

Middle Harbour has several decent coves with both some public moorings and, more importantly, room to anchor in good protection. But a longish way from the bright lights of downtown, if that is important to you.

Jim
Old 02-01-2020, 21:57   #9

Just barely got into NSW in the Tweed River and had a visit from "Maritime". Nice young bloke who informed me that I can anchor in one place for only 28 days each year and a total of 90 days total in all anchorages. NSW does not recognize Australian registration. etc, etc, etc.

He didn't explain how they keep track of me.

Some very pretty anchorages though.
Old 02-01-2020, 22:33   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Just barely got into NSW in the Tweed River and had a visit from "Maritime". Nice young bloke who informed me that I can anchor in one place for only 28 days each year and a total of 90 days total in all anchorages. NSW does not recognize Australian registration. etc, etc, etc.

As one older boatie commented when this discussion arose, they want us all to log on to marine rescue each and every time we move on our boats, his simple solution was to ignore the concept of conversing with marine rescue unless the s**t hits the fan and then tell them where you are. Kind of counterintuitive I know but hey, it makes the tracking process that much more difficult. This is the way a number of us are feeling these days.
Nanny state be damned.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 00:18   #11

Amazing negativity. There are some really good spots to anchor in Sydney harbour.

In northerlies:

Manly. There are about 5 public moorings but if they're occupied you can anchor outside them. Short walk to shops and surf beach, there's even an Aldi on the ferry w harf.

Castlecrag, nice beaches clear water for swimming.

Taronga park zoo. Public moorings there too, and plenty of room to anchor.

Rozelle/Blackwattle bay. Excellent access to public transport.

In southerlies:

Rose bay. There are public moorings too, but anchoring is easy.

Farm cove. Affected by ferry wakes till about midnight, but such an iconic location, next to the opera house and botanical gardens, close to the harbour bridge, it amazes me it's even legal to anchor there.

Rozelle/Blackwattle bay.

There are other good anchoring areas west of Gladesville bridge too.

Middle harbour has some beautiful spots, but anchoring can be tricky. Lots of public moorings, but you're more likely to find a vacant one on a weekday.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 00:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

this is the (ridiculous) rule but no-one - including 99.9% of maritime - pays any attention to it. frankly maritime don't / can't keep track of us. it will only be used if a particular boat becomes a particular nuisance to a particular maritime guy.

i'm like bob...don't log on to marine rescue...but mainly 'cause i don't want to have to worry about people getting upset when i'm not where i said i would be / forgetting to log off etc.

on the other hand we have AIS (would not leave home without it) so 'they' know where i am if they want.

as regards NSW rego, don't need this unless you plan to be in NSW for more than 3 months...but see above : this is not a problem unless (a) you stay in one place for more than 3 months (b) get up the nose of the local BSO

i think all aussie states have similar rules, and such also applies to motor vehicles (which ignored as well...)

cheers,
Old 24-01-2020, 17:45   #13

Boat: LAGOON 400

We are now 5 weeks in sydney harbour and constant smoke particles getting to us although we have been told it is better last month or two. Both feeling constantly sick and will pack up and move north where cleaner air.

Anyone else feeling that way or we just too 'bad air' sensitive ? We lived in Sydney couple decades and never felt that bad except in some sydney suburbia full of traffic.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 17:54   #14

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
We are now 5 weeks in sydney harbour and constant smoke particles getting to us although we have been told it is better last month or two. Both feeling constantly sick and will pack up and move north where cleaner air.

Anyone else feeling that way or we just too 'bad air' sensitive ? We lived in Sydney couple decades and never felt that bad except in some sydney suburbia full of traffic.
Sydney resident here, this past few months have been really bad, some days worse than others. Up north have had their share of fires so the smoke has gone as the fires moved south. Not just the smoke but the dust as well.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 18:56   #15

I'm back in Queensland after my six week or so cruise into northern NSW and have decided I enjoyed it and with a couple more test runs during coming summers I might be ready to actually anchor somewhere in Sydney harbour.

I only went as far south as the Clarence River and stayed near the mouth at Yamba and Iluka. It was much cooler than anywhere I could have been in Qld, the locals were nice folks and there was a very handy newsagents, coffee shops, a laundromat, hotel, and well stocked grocery store all within convenient walking distance of a floating pontoon public jetty. Pretty well paradise for a senior citizen cruising yachty.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, sydney