Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 11:28   #1

Anchoring sailboat offshore

Hi again

Just want to know what is the procedure of Anchoring a sailboat offshore in lets say 3-4 foot seas, Should the main sail go up? Is there a special type of sail that you can buy to put up that will stabilize the boat?
Thanks
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:32   #2

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies
Re: Anchoring sailboat offshore

I'm curious to have more information about your scenario. How far offshore?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
I'm curious to have more information about your scenario. How far offshore?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
2-3 miles offshore
Old 09-03-2016, 11:40   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

No idea what kind of anchorage or boat we're talking about here, but to answer your question about a special sail:

Yes, you could use an anchor riding sail. I never have, so can't tell you anything about how useful they are. If you click the link, you'll find topics here in the search results which will tell you more.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Don't know about anchoring that far out if it is shallow enough then I see no issues but as far as the sails I would recommend an anchor sail Anchor Riding Sail Kit (12.5 Sq Feet) or similar Google it for more pictures and ideas
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:45   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

First thing is, get yourself a thousand or so feet of anchor rode. And maybe three times that much, because three miles offshore? Really, do you have any idea how deep that can be?

You're nowhere near needing to know that, much less to think about taking a boat of any kind out there yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:50   #7

Well I have owed 5 powerboats and anchored many times. So im familiar with anchoring offshore. The depth where I would want to drop anchor is about 50-60 feet deep, but that im new to sailboats I was wondering if there was any special procedure, probably not? but just want to be sure
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
First thing is, get yourself a thousand or so feet of anchor rode. And maybe three times that much, because three miles offshore? Really, do you have any idea how deep that can be?

You're nowhere near needing to know that, much less to think about taking a boat of any kind out there yet.
Actually the charts will show you there are areas off the coast of Louisiana that are only 30 ft deep just outside of the 3 mile line.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Are you talking about stabilizing as in so it won't rock and roll so much or stay headed into the wind? Are you really anchoring in 3-4 foot seas? Well, the riding sail is a very flat and fairly small piece of cloth, I have seen them set low on the backstay and the former owner of my boat ran one up high in a calm anchorage to cut down on rolling. I use flopper stoppers.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gulfbreez,

Not sure why you want to stop the boat there, but assuming you have your reasons, and that it is safe to do so, (no submerged cables to snag, seas not so large as to damage any of your gear, adequate rode), yes, one can anchor in 80 ft. Generally speaking, one does not choose to do so, but one meter sea is not a huge impediment to anchoring, although if the waves are close together, it will not be pleasant from a motion point of view. Normally, 3 mi offshore, it would be deeper, larger seas prevailing, and more uncomfortable. I would think you would just let the boat drift. If what you're thinking of is going out to a dive spot, and you want to anchor the big boat there while you dive, using adequate scope, the boat will behave a lot like the motor boat. Usually, prudent people leave someone aboard anyhow, to make sure it doesn't go walkabout. Generally speaking, it would be extremely unlikely to want to anchor that far off, due to the lack of protection one can derive from land.

Use of a riding sail helps keep the bow of the boat headed into the wind. If the seas are only coming from the direction of the wind, this will help with the motion, the boat will pitch more than roll. Generally, the riding sail is so small it doesn't help much against roll.

Ann
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are you talking about stabilizing as in so it won't rock and roll so much or stay headed into the wind? Are you really anchoring in 3-4 foot seas? Well, the riding sail is a very flat and fairly small piece of cloth, I have seen them set low on the backstay and the former owner of my boat ran one up high in a calm anchorage to cut down on rolling. I use flopper stoppers.
yes, to stop any rolling. How effective are the flopper stoppers?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have anchored well offshore on shoals in up to about 30' of water on a number of occasions when the weather is very calm but have not done it for years now preferring to heave to. I have found that heaving to is preferable as the wind in the sails tends to limit rolling (39' monohull)
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've run around in a small powerboat more than three miles out, got out in less than knee deep water and pushed off in the Big Bend area of Fl, specifically South of Alligator Point.
So it depends, course really shallow water makes for some very different waves than deep water too.
You anchoring for fishing? If so then unless your boat sails at anchor like mine does, then I don't see any difference than a power boat.
Actually I believe due to the higher mass of a sailboats keel and the greater inertia of the mast, the movement at anchor is less than a powerboat, or at least that is my belief
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:10   #14

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Hi again

Just want to know what is the procedure of Anchoring a sailboat offshore in lets say 3-4 foot seas, Should the main sail go up? Is there a special type of sail that you can buy to put up that will stabilize the boat?
Thanks
You meant heaving to in the middle of the ocean, right?
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:12   #15

Boat: Ohlson 29

Since the OP is not providing much to go on for answering the question, I read some of his previous posts.

Looks like we're taking UK, and a 26' boat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Hello,

I have owned about 5 powerboats over the years,

I now have a passion of semi living aboard a sailboat yacht , not all year round but for days at a time. I dont know how to sail, but willing to learn abit.

My question is ,Can I exclusively motor a sailboat until I learn how to sail ? Where I will keep the boat is just near an inlet in West wales UK, I dont plan to stray far a field, just cruise a few miles offshore, drop anchor here and there and so forth, be out at sea for a couple of days then return to the harbor.

The boat is a 26 ft Kingfisher, with a 10 hp Bukh diesel.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, offshore, sail, sailboat