Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 18:34   #1

Boat: Adams 12
Anchoring in tidal stream

We were anchored in a tidal creek. With the tide ebbing boat behaved and wind was in nearly same direction as the flow. However when the tide was incoming the boat turned to face downstream however the wind was strong enough to more than counteract the current flow so we ended up facing into the current but with the anchor either to the side or behind the boat. This caused the snubber to rub across the stem as the boat swung. Bit disconcerting until I figured what was happening. We have all chain rode so fin keel must have cleared the chain.
Have not had this happen before.

Any advice on what we should/could have done?

Thanks
Matthew
matty47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 18:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Anchoring in tidal stream

I anchor in places that have swift currents in both directions and solve it by using a good stern anchor. If there is a prevailing wind, I put the bow into it.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 18:55   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Different boats react differently to wind and current oppossed so depends a bit on your boat but typical solutions are:

In a narrow tidal creek, as posted above, you could anchor bow and stern.

If you have enough swing room you could use a "Bahamian Moor". This mehtod is often misunderstood. It is NOT bow & stern, but rather two anchors set off the bow, but 180d oppossed. The swing area needed is much less than one anchor off the bow, but more than bow & stern which requires none.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 19:14   #4

Boat: Columbia 50

Maybe keep the rudder hard over.....should keep the snubber off the boat, anyway.

I have a mooring on the Hudson- we regularly experience this. with the short scope of a mooring, it’s not a major problem. I just don’t us a mooring ball, so the chains weight keeps the pennants somewhat down. Something heavy 10ft down might keep may keep your rode off the boat.

Matt
mlydon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 19:24   #5

Boat: Adams 12

Thanks for the quick replies. We did have a fair scope out. If the rudder advice works it will save additional anchor setting.
Matthew
matty47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 03:23   #6
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

How about a small drogue / bucket out the stern?
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 03:56   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Common issue in the strongly tidal waters around the UK. There is no single solution to it because the boat will behave differently in different combinations of forces.

Mostly what we do is just ignore it and let the boat go where she will. I have marks on the hull where the anchor chain was pressed against the topsides.

If it really gets to be a PITA you can use a shore tie or stern anchor. I have on rare occasions used a stern anchor but not for the purpose of dealing with the rode -- rather, to keep the tidal current from turning the boat broadside to the wind and therefore to a slight swell. An anchor spring line MIGHT work in a case like this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 04:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I sometimes used a forward quarter spring line to the anchor rode, a technique called "springing the rode".
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....html#post2642

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 06:44   #9

If you are anchoring for more than an over night or two, you have three choices:

1.) Fiddle with the lead of the rode until you sit in a way that you are happy with as has been suggested above.

-or-

2.) Have good chafing gear on your snubber.

-or-

3.) A proper Bahamian moor as described by Belizesailor above.

I (almost) always vote for #2, although in a few places, #3 has worked well.

For anybody who has marks from chain pressing on their hull they are using a snubber that is WAY too short!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 07:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
How about a small drogue / bucket out the stern?
I've read discussions of that as a possibility, but have never tried it, nor know anyone who has.

Unless the current is very strong, I suspect it would not have much effect. And when the current is weak its a loose line fluttering around waiting to be fouled.

Anyone ever actually try this?
Old 24-03-2020, 07:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I sometimes used a forward quarter spring line to the anchor rode, a technique called "springing the rode".
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....html#post2642

Oh yeah, an option I had forgotten about. Ive used it for swell, but not tried in current.
Old 24-03-2020, 08:10   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

My full keel boat also behaves oddly in strong current. My boat will essentially sail up into the current, with my big keel acting as a sail. It often results in our rode hanging aft, and rubbing against my hull.

I ensure my snubbers are long enough so that it is rope that is touching the hull. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.
Old 24-03-2020, 08:46   #13

I would just use as is. Being in the PNW I have had that occur many times. Using a stern anchor can be big trouble. It may make the boat sit broadside to the force, then make your primary anchor drag. Before you know it, everything is a tangle and you are drifting toward the rocks trying to retrieve the bow anchor while the stern let's you swing onto the beach. One time I had to just let the stern anchor and rode go. I bouyed it and came back the next day after moving anchorage in total blackness. (thanks radar!) Another time I managed to tie the boat to an abandoned piling before hitting the beach. In the Bahamas I tried a Bahamian moor, next morning, both rodes were "braided" so badly it took an hour to get it undone.
One anchor lets you get the hell out if you need to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:55   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have spent half a day untangling a Bahamian Mooring.

If you have strong winds against a strong tide, that is the ultimate test of an anchor, as it can be jerked back and forth with every gust and swing of the boat. All of mine failed that test.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:57   #15

I've wondered if using a kellet on each of the two rodes of a Bahamian moor set up would allow boat to pivot without rubbing on hull. More complicated, but effective?
Snowangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring