Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 21:13   #1
cruiser

Anchor physics glance

I can't reply.
An abandoned post.
But if needing quick look with answer, someone with more experience might be helpful replying.

Simply put a few brief hand drawn pictures with labels and quick explain.

Conditions change.
Urgency not emergency.

Best wishes. We all start somewhere.
Setting a pick seems a logical start because we all rest. Best wishes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210612133432.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	240193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210612133421.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	240194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210612133406.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	240195  
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 21:44   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Anchor physics glance

Hmmm, it appears you are showing that use of a bridle, if led far back on the rail, allows the bow to pitch without yanking so much on the anchor or changing the scope, and it seems you are showing the advantage of using all chain, though nylon rode does absorb shock well. From my experience, I'd tend to agree with that if I get your message correctly.
The one time I have dragged, so far, was in a boat with a high bow, with a long overhang, that did just that on a rough night with swells coming through the anchorage. The pitching of the bow, I am sure, contributed to the anchor losing its grip. There were other factors, but it was on one particularly big lift of a swell (at high tide) that I could clearly feel the anchor let go and we floated broadside to the wind. (I should have had a lot more scope out, I'll chalk it up to being young and foolish. The anchor grabbed again, and more scope then applied, so the story does not have a disastrous ending, but it was too close.) Some folks set the snubber from a secure fitting near the waterline on boats like that, and that seems to me a good idea. The boat I was on had a bowsprit so it had a fitting at the waterline for the bobstay, but it was not designed to be used for a snubber.
I might say that the pivot point of the arc of the rocking is not at the center of the boat though as you have drawn it, it seems to me to be farther back in response to swells.
It looks like you are advocating the use of a kellet on a rope rode and that idea, if suggested as an enhancement of anchor holding power, has been disproven since once the rode has gone taught, it is the angle determined by scope that will determine the anchor's holding power. Perhaps you could argue that the kellet prevents the rode from going taught for a longer period of time.

I will say it looks like you (and I,) judging by your drawing of the pitching boat, have been anchoring in places with way too much wave action!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor