Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 09:27   #16

Re: Anchor Lights

Arguing with a marine cop that doesnt know the rules is about as silly as arguing with a sailor that doesnt know there are designated (marked on charts) anchorages that dont require anchor lights. There are thousands of boats in mooring fields in New England that are weekend boats and unoccupied most of the time. To change the rules because some people dont pay attention to their charts doesnt seem reasonable. Outside of a mooring field an anchor light is required. And then there are the clowns that turn on a masthead strobe because they want to be SEEN AT ANCHOR. That is almost enough to start a"guns on boats thread". (DONT ASK IF YOU CANT HANDLE IT) Sorry, I just could not resist. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Here’s a picture of the Stuart Florida mooring field which is a CG designated special anchorage, no anchor light required.
I think these areas are only in the USA, not worldwide.

The regulations only define a minimum standard. With the widespread availability of low power draw LED lights, I cannot imagine a boat owner choosing not to display an anchor light even if anchored in one of the very few areas where a light is not legally required.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:45   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Arguing with a marine cop that doesnt know the rules is about as silly as arguing with a sailor that doesnt know there are designated (marked on charts) anchorages that dont require anchor lights. There are thousands of boats in mooring fields in New England that are weekend boats and unoccupied most of the time. To change the rules because some people dont pay attention to their charts doesnt seem reasonable. Outside of a mooring field an anchor light is required. And then there are the clowns that turn on a masthead strobe because they want to be SEEN AT ANCHOR. That is almost enough to start a"guns on boats thread". (DONT ASK IF YOU CANT HANDLE IT) Sorry, I just could not resist. Grant.
Really went out on a reach to string little snips of posts to accomplish a weakly veiled insult. Hope you feel better. I don’t know what your current carreer is, but you should consider writing for the “news”
Old 18-10-2018, 11:25   #19

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Yes, this is a problem. Masthead lights are too high to be clearly seen when moving through an anchorage. Requirement is to have an anchor light “where best visible”. Once upon a time we used kerosene lamps hoisted inside the fore triangle. Worked well. Later electric lanterns in the same position. But people’s are lazy, sic the masthead lights. Only switch on. Personally my light is now above the cockpit, easy to see. Has also a downlight for cockpit illumination.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:30   #20

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I also, like many here it seems, have a small lamp that I hang from the boom. It definitely sheds light so if I have to run up on deck in the middle of the night I can see where I'm going. And of course, it helps me be seen. But it is in addition to the required anchor light, which is at the top of the mast.
Old 18-10-2018, 12:02   #21

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Oh, have "guns on boats" been addressed in a thread? I always wondered if folks carry 'em on their boat...LOL!
Old 18-10-2018, 12:15   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've often heard people suggesting that masthead lights are too high to be easily noticed; however, there is also a distinct disadvantage to lights that are just two or three meters above the water level. Lower lights remain in the same relative position when approached directly and show no movement by parallax that would distinguish them from more distant lights on the shore.
Masthead lights increase their apparent movement by parallax as they are approached and this distinguishes them from more distant lights.
I've always found that having a masthead light as well as a lower light best, but if I were to display only one light; I would want it high enough to show apparent movement as it is approached.
Old 18-10-2018, 14:34   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
wow is that ever wrong

BTW I'm not sure if I've ever seen a mooring field marked on charts

You are differentiating between a mooring field and an anchorage aren’t you?

Anchorages require anchor lights. Mooring fields are special regulation anchorages...with moorings.
Old 18-10-2018, 14:46   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The only places to my knowledge that don’t require anchor lights are CG designated or special anchorages. These are marked on your chart and consist of both mooring fields and anchorages. Most mooring fields where we have cruised require anchor lights and most anchorages require anchor lights.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 15:29   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You are differentiating between a mooring field and an anchorage aren’t you?

Anchorages require anchor lights. Mooring fields are special regulation anchorages...with moorings.
I’m only trying to stress making your boat visible at anchor. I leave for others to agrue about if it is required.

I’m just smart enough to know it’s not in my ability to control others foolishness just because they meet the minimum of some requirement.
Old 18-10-2018, 17:07   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I’m only trying to stress making your boat visible at anchor. I leave for others to agrue about if it is required.

I’m just smart enough to know it’s not in my ability to control others foolishness just because they meet the minimum of some requirement.

Ok I thought “wow is that ever wrong” was reference to requirements as opposed to your personal opinion.
Old 18-10-2018, 17:44   #27

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36

Quote:
wow is that ever wrong

BTW I'm not sure if I've ever seen a mooring field marked on charts
Er, say what? Mooring fields are marked on charts with red lines and a notation 'SPECIAL ANCHORAGE'. Sheesh! How long have you been boating? I can't believe the ignorance.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 17:48   #28
smj

Anchor Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
Er, say what? Mooring fields are marked on charts with red lines and a notation 'SPECIAL ANCHORAGE'. Sheesh! How long have you been boating? I can't believe the ignorance.

That wouldn’t necessarily mark a morning field, it marks as you say a special anchorage which could be a mooring field or it could be just a spot to anchor with no signs of moorings around.
Old 18-10-2018, 17:49   #29

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36

[QUOTE=smj;2744243]Most mooring fields where we have cruised require anchor lights QUOTE]
Wrong. Mooring fields are 'special anchorages' and do not require anchor lights.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 17:51   #30
smj

[QUOTE=2savage;2744319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Most mooring fields where we have cruised require anchor lights QUOTE]
Wrong. Mooring fields are 'special anchorages' and do not require anchor lights.

This is incorrect. If the mooring field isn’t located in a special anchorage then an anchor light is required.

Tags
anchor