Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 09:59   #1

Boat: Swan 40
Anchor Chain vs rope!

I have recently brought a Swan 40 and was preparing to go away for the weekend and checked the anchor chain.

What surprised me was it only had about 5 meters of chain and then moved to rope. I am not sure I would trust rope attached to the chain 100%. I am not sure why the previous owners did this, I suspect could be reduces noise in the cabin while anchored.

Is this unusual as yachts I have been on all have chain and not rope.
jamrocksailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:07   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Anchor Chain vs rope!

That's an unusually small amount of chain for the size of the boat. All chain is common as it eliminates concerns for chafing on rocks, coral, etc. on the bottom. But depending on where you travel, you don't necessarily need 300 feet of chain either. A smaller amount of chain (100 - 200 feet) and then rope for deep anchorages will work in many places, as long as you don't need to anchor anywhere deep that also has coral.

When using rope, pay attention to chafe protection where it comes off the boat, etc. and monitor its condition at every use.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:23   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

For cruising, yes that is very unusual to the point of unheard of for such a large boat. But I suspect the previous owners did much more racing than cruising (if at all) and didn't want the weight of the chain. For them the anchor was probably just an emergency brake.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:34   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Anchor chain is almost a religious thing. Some people (most?) swear by it. However, a reasoned look at it can give a different view.

In places where chafe on the sea bed is a concern, it becomes much more necessary. However, in many other parts of the world, it's more of a preference. Here on the Chesapeake, where the most abrasive thing on the bottom is an oyster shell, there are many 40-foot boats with mostly rope. 3-10 meters of chain, and then rope from then on. As a general rule of thumb, rope twice the size of the chain is about the right size -- 5/16 G4 chain backed by 5/8 nylon. Nylon will, unless it tangles with coral or rock, last a very long time. My last boat came with rope, and it was probably 10 years old or older when I got it. I actively sailed most weekends all summer for 12 years, and it still looked fine. Nylon has some advantages:
* No need for snubbers, kellets, or similar kludges whose primary purpose is to help chain handle surge like nylon. (yeah, go to chain, and then work hard to make it as good as nylon!).
* Much less weight in the bow. Like hundreds of pounds.
* Easier if you don't have a windlass (my last boat was 34' or 11M, used a 15kg anchor and rope, and I had no problem hoisting by hand).
* Much quieter at anchor

Don't read this as a rail against chain. Just that it's not an absolute. Like most things boat related, everything is a compromise. Our new boat, a 43' (13M) Saga has 300' or 100M of 5/16 G4 on a windlass lifting a 25KG Rogna -- I'll NEVER hoist that by hand! Number 2 anchor is 20M of chain followed by 100M of rope, connected to a 50 lb plow.

Go sailing. Watch your anchor rode (be it rope, chain, or a futuristic force field), and know that there is no perfect answer to anything, but Sundowners can be nearly perfect.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:51   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

5 meters is more than enough chain for most places. In the Chesapeake you don't need more than 2 or 3 feet, if any chain.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Anchor chain is almost a religious thing. Some people (most?) swear by it. However, a reasoned look at it can give a different view.

In places where chafe on the sea bed is a concern, it becomes much more necessary. However, in many other parts of the world, it's more of a preference. Here on the Chesapeake, where the most abrasive thing on the bottom is an oyster shell, there are many 40-foot boats with mostly rope. 3-10 meters of chain, and then rope from then on. As a general rule of thumb, rope twice the size of the chain is about the right size -- 5/16 G4 chain backed by 5/8 nylon. Nylon will, unless it tangles with coral or rock, last a very long time. My last boat came with rope, and it was probably 10 years old or older when I got it. I actively sailed most weekends all summer for 12 years, and it still looked fine. Nylon has some advantages:
* No need for snubbers, kellets, or similar kludges whose primary purpose is to help chain handle surge like nylon. (yeah, go to chain, and then work hard to make it as good as nylon!).
* Much less weight in the bow. Like hundreds of pounds.
* Easier if you don't have a windlass (my last boat was 34' or 11M, used a 15kg anchor and rope, and I had no problem hoisting by hand).
* Much quieter at anchor

Don't read this as a rail against chain. Just that it's not an absolute. Like most things boat related, everything is a compromise. Our new boat, a 43' (13M) Saga has 300' or 100M of 5/16 G4 on a windlass lifting a 25KG Rogna -- I'll NEVER hoist that by hand! Number 2 anchor is 20M of chain followed by 100M of rope, connected to a 50 lb plow.

Go sailing. Watch your anchor rode (be it rope, chain, or a futuristic force field), and know that there is no perfect answer to anything, but Sundowners can be nearly perfect.
Thanks kindly, very informative. The join where the rope meets the chain will always be a worry as could be a weak link if you excuse the pun!

We are in Jamaica so the sea bed can vary.
Old 28-07-2020, 11:11   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The connection of rope to chain is not necessarily a weak link in terms of strength. The problem with the joint there is that it is a potential point of chafe on rocks or coral or debris and can lead to failure. That point is more vulnerable since the weight of the chain will more likely hold it down on the sea bed. In sand or mud, no problem.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 13:00   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

How much chain you want will depend on your anchoring grounds.

Perhaps the boat was raced, and the owner was a racer.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 16:28   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

It's a Swan... not uncommon. Keep her light! What year is she? Would love to see a photo!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 16:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yes you keep an eye on the chain link where the rope thimble attaches as that wears.
We survive with chain rope combo in NZ fine but if I was in a place with coral I would have all chain despite the weight.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 18:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Yes you keep an eye on the chain link where the rope thimble attaches as that wears.
We survive with chain rope combo in NZ fine but if I was in a place with coral I would have all chain despite the weight.
She is a Nautor 86. Lovely yacht, sails wonderfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_113348.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	220188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_132343.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	220189  

Old 29-07-2020, 05:07   #12

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Awesome boat
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 05:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
It's a Swan... not uncommon. Keep her light!

Yea, this.

And guys, properly done the rope to chain splice is near 100% line strength - it should not be a (significant) weak point (properly done)
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 06:03   #14

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Lovely boat! I have 25 ft of 3/8" chain and 200 ft of 1" nylon rode, and a 50 pound Danforth. Mostly Chesapeake Bay, but sail to New England, and usually anchor out. Weathered a few good storms at anchor. Never dragged, and no shock loading.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 06:11   #15

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I should mention I have no windlass. I haul the anchor by hand (one my daily exercises while cruising).
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rope