Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 14:11   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Americas Cup and simpler days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpyne View Post
Jim Cate
I have not been able to watch the A.C. live and find very little news of it in Aust.TV..
another event with all news controlled by the Murdoch Press....if you dont pay for Foxtel then pay again for 'extra coverage' ...no news no coverage..what is the Ozzie CF members views..
Rick, can't help you with this... we don't have or watch TV. All the AC events that I've seen this year have been via the internet, and not uniform coverage for sure.

Jim
Old 16-01-2021, 14:15   #32

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Jim Cate
I have not been able to watch the A.C. live and find very little news of it in Aust.TV..
another event with all news controlled by the Murdoch Press....if you dont pay for Foxtel then pay again for 'extra coverage' ...no news no coverage..what is the Ozzie CF members views..

Agree Rick. No access to watching it unless I pay. Have found the youtube coverage to sufficient to get enough of a fix in watching the racing though.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:15   #33

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Use a VPN or Smart DNS and watch it Live (don't forget the Virtual Eye feed too) on the official AmericasCup.com / YouTube.

Or watch the replays later if the time is not convenient (not sure if they are geoblocked too).

Otherwise there are multiple unofficial channels which I already posted in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ew-223827.html

27 pages of discussing the AC in that thread.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:45   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think to field an AC boat these days is going to set you back about $100 mil or thereabouts. What you see in the current Prada Cup races is only the tip of the iceberg. The development of these boats have undergone years of development.

It all started with the winged keel back in 1983....which was a deviation from the norm....and it hasn't stopped since. The old 12M boats were sleds in their own right....long....narrow and had every state of the art gadget, gizmo, sail cloth, hull material of the day. They were fast...for their time !!! But this isn't 1983 anymore, we've moved on.

Just coming up with the canting arm for today's AC boats was a monumental task. Some boys thought it would be a cool idea and set the wheels in motion. More power to them, I say. It takes thinking outside the box to develop new stuff. It takes courage, resolve and the ability to do some forward thinking.

We live in the age of computers. Why not make use of this incredible tool. Why not make use of the incredible people that write the various programs for these computers.

Would you live without your cell phone today ?? Go back to red telephone booths ??Off course not, besides being a phone you put in your shirt pocket, it can do a multitude of things people just take for granted these days.

Do you go to work in your ox cart....no, off course not. One of these days, you'll be able to go to work in your own flying car.

Drones, once a toy, now a part of every day life.

Etc,etc,etc.....

The Brits are doing a marvelous job. Until just recently, nobody gave them a chance. Some people would have quit, took their toy home and said fuggit. Not the Brits, power to them, looks like they are going to give the Americans and Italians, and maybe even the New Zealanders a spanking.

Boring ? Hell no !! Exciting ? Hell yes!! Bring it on !!

Vendee boats are on a similar path. Foils, canting keels, kevlar hulls, spectra lines, exotic sail cloth...you name it...if there is an advantage to be found anywhere, you can be sure it will find it's way on these boats. ...and then you have to sail these boats single handed....around the globe...not sail around, but race around....

Nah, just another race...I think not!!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:57   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Jim Cate

Mate if you have data it should be on youtube, just put pradacup in search.
It wouldnt be on Aussie TV because, sadly, there is no Aussie team.
'Bout time you bstds put one together. Surely there must be some mining magnate with a few hundred million to spare.
Miss having Aussie in the AC, would hate to lose to your mob but more fun with you guys in it. We've got Spithill to wind us up but need a few more laughs.

As for the spectacle, the boats are certainly impressive but I much preferred the closer action of the keelboats. Much more opportunities to make the opponent eat dirty wind. Sailors more important even though the fastest boat still won mostly.

Don't want NYYC to beat TNZ but if they do I'd be happy that they will go back to J boats.
Americas Cup has always been a designers race.
Ben Ainslie wasn't a bad sailor before Xmas, spot the difference.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 15:01   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I'm with you on that. I am entranced by these foiling craft and the men who sail them but referring to the America's Cup today as a "yacht race" is a non-starter with me.

A yacht is a vessel that I can sleep in, eat in, and crap in.
yacht race is a laugh.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 15:49   #37

I admit to being an old fart. I can recall discussions in the yacht club and on the 'letters to the editor' pages of sailing magazines as to whether or not putting an engine in a sailboat was an act of vandalism. I remember when magazine ads for sailboats would mention it if the boat was made of fiberglass. And, as an old fart, I agree with the first post. I lost all interest in America's cup when the last 12 meter crossed the finish line. Like the Steinlager boat, the ACCs were built to break; to attract the NASCAR crowd. As the old bumper sticker used to say, "I'd rather be sailing INTREPID".
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:31   #38

Boat: Beneteau, 41ft monohul

You can find it online, live stream, simply google Americas cup.
Bourne Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:40   #39

Two things. . . .
The first one is that this open design concept allows innovation and experimenting to be done by those with buckets full of spare cash. We may all benefit from the improvements in the technology. Foils are now used on all sorts of water craft.
Secondly, as Jim and Ann (the longer they stay in Aus. the smarter they seem to be getting!) noted, that the AC event today is a crowd thriller. On the foils these machines go at staggering speeds and can have really exciting cartwheeling events etc. (Isn't that why we go to the car races?) plus, they can do it right next to the crowd on the shore line. An exciting spectacle for the plebs., not just a bragging event for the insanely wealthy.

As for national pride. Well, VW's are made nearly anywhere but Germany, Bentleys made in China, TV, a Scottish invention, made anywhere but Scotland. Dutch tulips, even in California. I think we have all got over all that some time ago.

The challengers after the America won the original cup off England, had to travel on their own bottoms to the US to effect a challenge. This was an example of national pride putting a sharp stop to any innovation for many decades.

It makes you wonder why nobody has instigated a race between solar powered water craft - or a sail and solar mix. Then someone else could pay for the technological developments instead of us destitute small boat owners.

Don't laugh. Just imagine what the owners of the early AC boats would have said if you had suggested a boat that literally flies on foils at 45 knots.

Then there is all the other technology we now use. Everything is managed by smarter faster computer chips. What would the old salts have to say about that?

If it is sailing skills that are your specialty then that is best found on the highly competitive off the beach skiff racers. Skills, enthusiasm, risk taking, knowledge and sheer cunning tactics - all managed by the computer between your ears.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:52   #40

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

I'm watching Prada Cup Round Robin, Sunday 17th, UK vs USA (day 2). Hola as a VPN (not that I need that in NZ to watch NZ content).

UK has led from the start, and is now leading on leg 4. But USA looked like they could catch them a few times, but then failed to do so.

This race has been all about some of the most important parts of sail racing skills, pre-start strategy and tactics, picking the wind shifts, trying to find the breeze, but with each or any error/misjudgment/luck-deficit amplified, because in these light airs, to drop off the foils is the difference between their @10 knots displacement speed and +30 knots foiling speed.

It sure looked like a tough race to me. Anyone who doesn't see the sailing skills involved isn't paying attention IMHO.

But of course, as always with any sport, especially Formula 1 sports ... it's never been only about the on-course skills.

If ya want to take tech development out of it, go watch the classics, (if you can find a stream with proper coverage ... hmmm). Some people can even buy a retired racer on the cheap and do it themselves.

And you'd probably enjoy the classic motor races, 1950's, as opposed to Lewis Hamilton and the current F1. Personally, I like both, and want both.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 17:35   #41

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Jim Cate
I'm in nz and watch it on you tube. The coverage is amazing and the commentary is, at times, hilarious.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 18:14   #42

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

The “average citizen” isn’t interested in golf either, yet it’s on tv a lot. And if you play golf, what the pros are doing and using looks a lot more like what I use when I play golf...but it’s not. Occasionally I get to see a pro hit a golf shot that looks all too familiar to me.

While I can barely relate to what those AC 75 racers are on, I can relate to what they are doing, watch their tactics with interest, and marvel at how in 15kts of wind the get SOG of 40kts. Holy **@#$#g cow! And crossing closely at 30kts brings a new level of drama. So, yes, I had fun watching the Prada series and I’m looking forward to more.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 18:30   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The AC races...unfortunately, do not attract a big crowd. Right now in the USA, it's football playoff time, the AC event gets scant media attention here, especially now, as it is taking place in NZ.
Americans are aware of NZ, but most likely could not place it on a map, never mind the AC event.

The Football Superbowl event is a scant few weeks away. All eyes will be on football.

AC races, what's that ??

The huge time difference is also a big issue for "real time TV"

I think the Kiwi's have tried to make it more spectator friendly, but any sailboat racing event is difficult to bring to the public eye as it is held out on water and not in a stadium. Larry Ellison tried to do a similar " spectator" event, close to shore.

The Vendee Globe race 2020/21 is the first time, the average spectator has been able to follow the race due to the plethora of onboard media coverage, video's and the like.
In France, the Vendee is a big deal. That is there Superbowl. The French are big into offshore sailboat racing.
In the USA, not so much.

Youtube has a plethora of video's pertaining to the AC races. It might not be real time, but nobody has to miss anything. I'm more than happy to watch a Youtube video instead of getting up at 'o dark-thirty to watch an event.

If you think the AC races are boring, you could always watch a game of cricket.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 21:12   #44

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

After a terrible pre-start against Luna Rossa, Patriot got in front on the first beat and extended. They looked very quick, but in my view not totally stable and not totally in control.

Just now there was a big puff (I think saw 26kn+) as they went around the top mark and as they did the bear away they went wildy out of control at high speed, leaped, and finally capsized. Wow.

It looked like they weren't quite ready for the bear away, the boat accelerated massively, and possibly the leeward running backstay didn't get released in time either.

So they forfeited the race to Luna Rossa. All the crew are safe and accounted for.

Although it looks like there is a lot of water in the boat, it's sitting very low and the bow is almost awash.

Pretty full on. Some carnage of some description was expected today given the passage of a weather front and shifty, puffy conditions with a bit of a sea running too.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 22:29   #45

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
I have not followed Americas Cup for a long time. Then I looked at some of those sailboats and thought "what the heck are those things".

Does anyone else but me think we should go back to having a race without so much technology where sailors actually use there sailing skills instead of using computers and sailboats that belong in space?

IMHO....I would love to see simpler sailboats sailed by sailors who can use there sailing skills and who actually are citizens of the country where the sailboat was built.

I also do not see the average citizen as interested in Americas Cup as before...and again I think it has to do with what I mentioned above.

Best,

Abe

I don’t. In the original America’s cup race superior design beat traditional design. From 1851 until the late 1930s it was rich guys hiring the best naval architects to design boats for them. Following WW-II and the resulting economic privations the rich guys down scaled to 12-meter boats for 30yr with rich guys still paying big sums to try to design the best boat for the best sailors they could hire to sail on their behalf. Until Fay read the deed of gift and challenged in something different that the US had to accept. We’re now on our 4th type of boat since Fay.

This is in keeping with most of the history of the cup. The 12-meter era was kind of an anomaly the way I see it. Even then there were plenty of design innovations within the limits of the rule.

Sailing has a lot of variation in it. There are some pretty static designs that have been class racing for more than 100yr like Stars, or the Laser and J-24 that’ve only been going for 45yr. Olympic designs tend to be pretty static for decades.

In the big boats you need rich guys to pay for it and they want spectacle which means spendy and flashy and new and right now that’s foiling monohulls. In 10yr it’ll probably be something different. The only thing that stays the same at that level is that it takes a lot money, technical innovation is required as well as sailing skill and everybody gets paid.

You want to watch skill against skill watch the Olympics, class racing or match racing.

Im not trying to knock you for being appalled, frankly it’s not my cup of tea either other than being a fun spectacle to watch.

PHRF racing would be my style if I was going to race at all.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote