Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 13:53   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Am I Realistic?

Yes, you can do this.

I'd start by learning to sail. It will take you a few years of very dedicated work to get the skills and experience you need (sailing, navigation, repairs, etc.).

Research each country as far as dogs.

You don't have to import boats into each country.

Once you're out there learning, you'll meet people. I'd much rather do these crossings with crew. Safer and more fun.

Your budget is pretty light for a boat that big. Don't forget outfitting and maintenance costs.

You can't do it now because you don't know anything. Thousands of people just like you have started down the path and learned what they needed and then gone and done it. You can to. Just don't get ahead of yourself. Build skills and experience at a pace that keeps you safe.
Old 28-05-2015, 13:58   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yep, take a look at the bumfuzzles blog if you haven't come across it yet. Basically a how to buy a cat and sail around the world with no experience
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:09   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
You're going to need a really long rode to anchor at sea. Really long.

goat
lmfao holy **** hadn't thought about that one.
AIforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Yep, take a look at the bumfuzzles blog if you haven't come across it yet. Basically a how to buy a cat and sail around the world with no experience
Thanks for your positive comments man, they've been helpful!
Old 28-05-2015, 14:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
You're going to need a really long rode to anchor at sea. Really long.

goat

What your rode isn't 50 thousand feet? I was thinking of getting two that length.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:24   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hawaii, NZ, and Australia all have long quarantine periods for dogs, check it out.

Ann
Old 28-05-2015, 14:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Yes, you can do this.

I'd start by learning to sail. It will take you a few years of very dedicated work to get the skills and experience you need (sailing, navigation, repairs, etc.).

Research each country as far as dogs.

You don't have to import boats into each country.

Once you're out there learning, you'll meet people. I'd much rather do these crossings with crew. Safer and more fun.

Your budget is pretty light for a boat that big. Don't forget outfitting and maintenance costs.

You can't do it now because you don't know anything. Thousands of people just like you have started down the path and learned what they needed and then gone and done it. You can to. Just don't get ahead of yourself. Build skills and experience at a pace that keeps you safe.
That sounds quite depressing.
Old 28-05-2015, 14:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIforever View Post
That sounds quite depressing.
If spending a few years to learn to cross oceans solo seems depressing, then maybe this is unrealistic.

There's a lot to know.

You can probably learn enough to coastal cruise reasonably safely in a week or two. Do that for a few months and you'll have the experience to head over to the bahamas. Cruise the Bahamas for a season and you're ready to head for the Pacific.

I guess if you start in the right season, that adds up to one year, not a few. But that assumes you're doing it full time. My "few years" timeframe assumed you had a job.

Some, like Bumfuzzle, have famously headed out with little or no experience. They learned by doing in the easier cruising of the Bahamas before going further.

I don't recommend this approach. I think you need more knowledge to be safe. If you're going solo, the bar is raised further. You need to be more dialed in to allow for being able to do all of this alone with little sleep.
Old 28-05-2015, 14:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
If spending a few years to learn to cross oceans solo seems depressing, then maybe this is unrealistic.

There's a lot to know.

You can probably learn enough to coastal cruise reasonably safely in a week or two. Do that for a few months and you'll have the experience to head over to the bahamas. Cruise the Bahamas for a season and you're ready to head for the Pacific.

I guess if you start in the right season, that adds up to one year, not a few. But that assumes you're doing it full time. My "few years" timeframe assumed you had a job.

Some, like Bumfuzzle, have famously headed out with little or no experience. They learned by doing in the easier cruising of the Bahamas before going further.

I don't recommend this approach. I think you need more knowledge to be safe. If you're going solo, the bar is raised further. You need to be more dialed in to allow for being able to do all of this alone with little sleep.
Alright thanks that sounds better! I think i'll just have to get crew for when i do the Pacific passing.
I'll just start off with some sailing lessons, buy a catamaran and sail in the Carribean for a couple of months and hopefully get my experience in that way, seems enjoyable as well.
Old 28-05-2015, 14:56   #40

Quote:
Alright thanks that sounds better! I think i'll just have to get crew for when i do the Pacific passing.
I'll just start off with some sailing lessons, buy a catamaran and sail in the Carribean for a couple of months and hopefully get my experience in that way, seems enjoyable as well.
That's the way. Baby steps. Move up a step when you start feeling confident where you are and you're ready to expand your horizons a bit. You'll also meet other boaters and learn from them by doing it this way.
Old 29-05-2015, 00:08   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Anchor catamaran, get the dinghy out and let them swim for an hour each day.

What are the regulations of those countries? Just paying a fee for the dogs?
And you're going to anchor the Catamaran in 7000 feet of water? I talking about while on passage. With say 15 foot waves etc.

Every country has different regulations about bringing animals - some it is a fee, some it is quarantine (up to six months in a government facility - which you have to pay for)

Many dogs also simply do not like being on a boat. They can't stand firmly and slide all over the place - especially if the weather turns a bit nasty.

And you also seem to think the dogs are going to both pee and poo while swimming? Don't say "Oh I'll just take them up on deck they can do it there. When the weather is nasty and the boat (even a catamaran) tilting and tipping. You think the dog is going to be thinking about anything else but trying desparately to find something to dig its nails into ?

Nice dream you have and it is doable, but you need to step way back and look at his again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 04:23   #42

Boat: islandpacket

Take some classes. The more you learn the more you realize what you don't know. If you find you love this stuff learning will be as much a joy as the trip. If you find it's not what you want at least you didn't spind 200k on a whim. If you like it its worth every cent.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-05-2015, 08:48   #43

I'm starting to wonder whether a powercatamaran or powercruiser would be more suited for me. I see these types of boats a lot when surf charters around Indonesia are being offered, is this because the wind in Indo is not good for sailing?
And of course if i choose a power catamaran i would only be going from Indo to Fiji, so not Pacific Ocean crossing.
Old 31-05-2015, 13:56   #44

Bump for feedback on my last post
Old 31-05-2015, 14:04   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Bump for feedback on my last post