Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 23:38   #61
cruiser

Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Funny how most folks so angry about 'political correctness' are well to do white guys who've never been systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalized.

You old cranks can keep whining about what a burden it is to be PC. The rest of us are going to keep considering how our words and actions profoundly affect others.
"Funny!" That's a good one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	118
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	129220  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 00:55   #62

Boat: no boat any more

"...I'd rather be a stupid idiot having the time of my life, enjoying every day..."
on the other hand: overdoing things might shorten the number of days dramatically... (& hindsight is always 20/20th)

"...the snotgreen, scrotumtightenig sea..."
& another quote that I remember more vaguely:
"...the sea with neither fuss nor noise stifled the breath of careless boys..."
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:16   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah... don't worry about it... it's good for the gene pool.
If only!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:01   #64

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
"Funny!" That's a good one.
I'm not sure what the gleeful response here means. Do you disagree that the majority of the people bothered by Political Correctness are the ones who've never been marginalized?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:25   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
I'm not sure what the gleeful response here means. Do you disagree that the majority of the people bothered by Political Correctness are the ones who've never been marginalized?
Oh sorry if I hurt your feelings, honestly.... I thought you were joking.

I didn't know making making a political statement or insulting nearly half the American polulation was allowed on this forum. My bad.

"Have a Nice Day" mate.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:28   #66

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Oh sorry if I hurt your feelings, honestly.... I thought you were joking.

I didn't know making making a political statement or insulting nearly half the American polulation was allowed on this forum. My bad.

"Have a Nice Day".
You insulted all Americans in a previous post.

You can have it one way or you can have it the other way. You can't have it both ways.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:33   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

You can have it one way or you can have it the other way. You can't have it both ways.
How is my recommendation that you take up "knitting" an insult to all Americans? Please be more specific.

The OP asked a question... and I answered it by basically saying stop worrying about other people... everyone should mind their own business and get out and enjoy life. Then provided several examples of how I enjoy life.

How is that offensive in any way?

Here's my original post answering the OP's question in case you missed it:

"You must be American, from a country way too concerned and worried about other people's safety. With another person on board, we do this sort of thing all the time.... it's very relaxing while under sail. Obviously, I would't do it alone without a tether or someone else watching the boat.

The rest of the world doesn't get as "worked up" about this sort of thing. "

"Live and let live." Get out and enjoy life.

Cheers"

If you ever get out and travel beyond the US borders, you'll quickly see that the rest of the world has far fewer hand rails and safety nets.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:35   #68

Quote:

Well in all honesty, guys like that do have it both ways on the internet. The insults, rude comments, smart ass mouth and macho bull would go right out the window face to face. I guarantee it.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32   #69
cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Well in all honesty, guys like that do have it both ways on the internet. The insults, rude comments, smart ass mouth and macho bull would go right out the window face to face. I guarantee it.
So now, even suggesting that people should "don't worry, be happy" is now offensive and rude in America. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Old 09-08-2016, 14:37   #70

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kenomac's right about some parts of the world. I can remember my first trip to Mexico, where there was lots of repairs going on. There w ill be big (VW Beetle size) holes in the sidewalk, not safety-taped around, just there. There were steps up or down, and sometimes a 3 ft. drop off. Funny about that: they expect you to pay attention and look out for yourself.

In Australia and NZ they are very much into the safety legislation. Some Australians think it is wonderful, but it does sap personal responsibility. In the name of safety, there is a great deal of encouragement to sign in with the Volunteer Marine Rescues, and give them a sailing plan for the duration of your outing. And they will radio you if you miss your check-in times, or phone you, and if no contact, commence a rescue plan. Different countries, different customs.

I am on the personal responsibility side of this discussion. For many reasons, I think it is way more free, and ultimately safer, for this old mutt to accept that she is responsible for herself, not someone else. I do have a safety harness, I do use it. But I don't determine that by wind strength. I determine it by what the combination of sea and rain conditions, (rain means slipperier hand holds). If I feel concerned, I wear it. Period. Ditto flotation in the dinghy.

I agree with Sea Dreaming that personal responsibility for one's safety should be left to the individual and his/her own assessment of a situation. Example, one time, when we were becalmed in the Pacific, in waters around 3000 ft. deep, I secured a line around my waist and went for a swim. I didn't want to see the boat start to sail away. The OP of this thread might have found that dangerous. I thought that since I float (once you are afloat, the depth of the water is irrelevant, and it's a psychological kick to me to swim in water many times deeper than swimming pool depths) , and swim quietlly, it would be okay, and it was.

Different people see risk differently. I had a stranger tell me he thought it was a scary idea being at sea in a "small" boat. I tried the freeway analogy, and he sort of "got it", that it is unfamiliar things that are scary to most of us.

Ann
Old 09-08-2016, 14:53   #71

Personal responsibility has nothing to do with accidents, medical emergencies and the Unforeseen. Harumphing about one's macho or macha-ness is silly. For those who have small children, having a social safety net in terms of rescue services, safety regulations and the like really can make the difference if your kids survive or die in an accident, get lost, or meet up with bad people.

Extend that to your loved ones--old and young--and you get to appreciate what advanced societies(not the US obviously) have done to promote a livable culture. Remember well the huge debate decades ago about requiring seat belts in cars. You guys really want to go back to those "good old days' where society was indifferent to anyone's safety or health?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 15:26   #72

Quote:
Then I strongly suggest you turn off your cell phone, tablet or computer before it blows up in your face. Lithium batteries have been known to catch fire... "Remember the debate decades ago requiring seatbelts in cars." "Do you really want to [live in] those "good old days" where society [is] indifferent to anyone's safety or health?"
Acknowledged!! Have only had cases where someone had swallowed lithium batteries.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 15:35   #73

Risk is a funny thing. If you arrived from another planet and did a risk assessment about sailing based on the discussion in forums, you would swear that the real risks come from making the wrong choices in areas such as mono vs. multi, anchor selection, storm survival and defending against pirates.

For those that actually go cruising, I can't help but think that a large number of us might end up realizing that the real risk wasn't pirates or spinny storms or the wrong boat choice, but sun exposure. If forum discussion were adjusted in proportion to real risk we might spend the bulk of our time talking about biminis, sun shades, and the best hat choices.

And for those that never go but just stay at home looking at the screen, well there may be bigger risk from a sedentary lifestyle than any hazard on the oceans...
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 15:45   #74

Boat: Vagabond 47

Many land lubbers seem to think sailing has a risk level on par with BASE jumping. I tell them the most dangerous part is driving your car to the marina.
chris5977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:01   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977 View Post
Many land lubbers seem to think sailing has a risk level on par with BASE jumping. I tell them the most dangerous part is driving your car to the marina.

Assuming you have any blue water experience----Posts like this just make me want to go SA. But this being CF I will just smile.

And sigh

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water