Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 13:58   #1

Boat: Custom
Am I Insane ?

I have been looking at boats for a long time.

In the space of a week two options have appeared that fit the bill (from the photos and chats with the owners)

One is a classic design (1960's) , lots of varnish, wood etc. Hull, deck, and exterior all professionally restored. The interior needs a spruce up.

The second is a 1980's timber boat. Very well looked after and in great nick.

I am a little bit unusual in that I can't really sail either because of an injury that is a long term pain in the kiester! I am led to believe that this will not change.

Despite the injury I need a boat just to have, to fiddle and to be on the water.

The classic is really appealing to me. I know it is insane, and I know the horror of the old timber boat but it would be a project internally. As my wife says with plenty of fiddlesticking.

The more modern 80's boat would still have plenty of things to do with but not nearly as much.

My heart says buy the old girl, but my brain says don't be a fool you don't need the headache etc etc etc.

What would you do.

BTW. If you happen to guess which boats I am talking about please don't post a link I have been gazumpped more times than I care to think that way, just PM me the link

Thanks

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 14:06   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Am I Insane

To the question: Am I insane? the answer is, of course you are so what? You are on a site where it is almost a prerequesite. LOL
Old 30-11-2011, 14:13   #3

Boat: Custom

Oh good, it's not just me!

Feel better already

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 14:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Insane

Every man needs his 'Garden Shed....'
Yours'll float is all...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Yes.

Unless a you make a full recovery the combination of age and disability means maintenance will become more and more difficult, the boat will be used less and less, eventually being worth next to nothing.

Boat maintenance is hard difficult work that may worsen any preexisting problems.

If you must have a wooden boat buy or build one of those lovely clinker boats (about 9' should do it) and keep it on a trailer.

If you want a bigger boat it needs to be of substantial fibreglass construction, in very good condition and small enough that you can pay slipway workers what it takes to keep it seaworthy.

I am slowly seeing the maintenance on Boracay become more difficult and sooner or later I will no longer be able to do it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123
I have been looking at boats for a long time.

In the space of a week two options have appeared that fit the bill (from the photos and chats with the owners)

One is a classic design (1960's) , lots of varnish, wood etc. Hull, deck, and exterior all professionally restored. The interior needs a spruce up.

The second is a 1980's timber boat. Very well looked after and in great nick.

I am a little bit unusual in that I can't really sail either because of an injury that is a long term pain in the kiester! I am led to believe that this will not change.

Despite the injury I need a boat just to have, to fiddle and to be on the water.

The classic is really appealing to me. I know it is insane, and I know the horror of the old timber boat but it would be a project internally. As my wife says with plenty of fiddlesticking.

The more modern 80's boat would still have plenty of things to do with but not nearly as much.

My heart says buy the old girl, but my brain says don't be a fool you don't need the headache etc etc etc.

What would you do.

BTW. If you happen to guess which boats I am talking about please don't post a link I have been gazumpped more times than I care to think that way, just PM me the link

Thanks
Yes you're insane. My dad always said if it flies, floats or fornicates it is always better to rent it.

However, now that you are insane and can admit it, you don't have to act rationally.

Only you know your mobility to take care of the constant attention wood boats require. Based on the tiny bit of information supplied I would say go for it with a couple of caveats...

- you cant sail. Make sure the boat has a good motor. A sailboat is an efficient hull and even motoring is fun. An autopilot is useful too. Motoring can be a lot if fun when you aren't painting and varnishing. Also just hanging at the dock chatting with dockmates is fun too.
- Be realistic on total costs. Marina fees, maintenance fees, upkeep fees, haulouts, anti foul etc. Consider including the cost to have someone dive on the boat every 8 weeks or so to scrub the bottom - this is a real convenience. If you can afford all that why not?
- Consider wood very carefully. GRP with lots of wood trim may be a better option depending on your mobility
- easy to get on and off is another consideration depending on your mobility

And finally the good news. The boat will make you more insane but eventually it will become too much and you will sell it, thereby curing your insanity. So in a way the boat is therapeutic and way more satisfying than paying a shrink.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:51   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Am I Insane ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I understand where you are coming from

But you also have to maintain the outside, maybe not now - but at some point. The interior will likely be pretty much a one time deal though. IMO probably as much (if not more) physical capabilities required to maintain / refurb a boat than to actually sail (bending / sticking head etc into innacessible places and sanding / painting etc etc etc).

It doen't make sense - but why not although I would personally go for something with at least a GRP hull.

BTW you may not be insane - if you have enough money it's called being eccentric
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 19:57   #8

Boat: Wharram custom 44'
Re: Am I Insane ?

First, the boat is a physical therapy unit. I learned from an old sailor that the arthritis went away as the sanding went on. I always wondered if I could do it at 50, with heart disease and joint issues. Ended up getting shoulder replacement. My physical therapy ended up, after the more difficult stages were endured, to be less than the work on the boat and rowing up and down the inlet.
The main issue is the question does the location of the boat and the evironment around it inspire you in any way. Are there any seabirds flying around or vistas that give you gravity. In that case, even if the boat is a bust, the time you spend down on the water coping with problems is worth a whole lot compared to the same problems encountered on land. Sometimes I think the ultimate goal is not to get that boat out on the water, but to get us down to the water. It has spritual solvent qualities.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:13   #9

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Every man needs his 'Garden Shed....'
Yours'll float is all...
Not insane at all, a little misunderstood by about half of the world's population is all... Boats are theraputic, even if you just potter around on one, or use one as a 'Garden Shed'

As Ratty said in Wind in the Willows:

`Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summary_2071428i.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	34279