Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which is it?
Yep, Yer Delusional... 6 22.22%
Not Deranged, but maybe you should rethink wanting 30 year old teak decks... 12 44.44%
GO for it! Teak Decks are a thing of beauty and a joy forever!! 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 19:02   #16

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Am I being delusional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
They are hot in southern climes but yes ,they look nice . I would be searching for boats without teak decks. A little teak trim will look great without the issues in the quote above.
We are cruising the Caribbean and our teak deck (WITHOUT varnish) is not hotter than friend's boat GRP deck. And teak deck are not salt stained/sticky after a sail.
Old 30-09-2012, 20:16   #17

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

We have a 40 ft Cheoy Lee built in '74. We have just taken all the teak decks off and will replace them with some other surface. Beauty doesn't equal utility. You can only sand and refurbish so many times before the teak is gone. I have never known anyone with teak decks who didn't spend more time maintaining than enjoying.
BTW being delusional isn't always a bad thing.
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58   #18

Boat: Swan 432

Try and find a boat that has had the deck replaced recently and bonded to the deck rather than screwed in. I spent a lot of time looking at old S&S Swans and love the teak decks. I was told that most people over-clean their decks and greatly shorten their life. Salt water is supposedly the best thing to put on them. Good luck.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18   #19

There's a beautiful Baba30 with teak decks at our marina, and it's for sale. One hot day I stepped aboard to see just how hot teak decks really are... Didn't take long for me to realize that since I love to sail barefoot teak decks aren't for me... They were actually a tad hotter than the wooden dock I was walking on very quickly...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
We are cruising the Caribbean and our teak deck (WITHOUT varnish) is not hotter than friend's boat GRP deck. And teak deck are not salt stained/sticky after a sail.
Is your friend's deck painted BLACK or dark brown or do you run cooling pipes under the deck?

Our deck is a pastel beige and it's very comfortable to walk on barefoot while the beautiful Baba30 across the slip has beautiful teak decks that are hotter than the dock boards. I ALWAYS go barefoot so I have tough feet and I know hot when I step on it..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A good teak deck should almost never be sanded. To care for them, wash them is soap spuds from ivory soap or the like. And that is it. If they get really dirty, use a semi-stiff plastic brush on them. Always brush across the grain, never with it.

Eventually the caulking between the boards will need replacing. dig out the old caulking with a small screwdriver or the like. Make sure you get it all out. The cover all the teak with a layer of masking tape. lay your new caulking compound in and use a spreader to ensure it is all the way down. Peel away the masking tape

Voila! watertight teakdeck.

But fiberglass is much easier............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote