Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 09:27   #16

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: Alternate and/or Emergency Ladders - Who's Using What?

Priorities?

You can afford a big 41' boat, but not a $500 emergency ladder to save your life, or the lives of those you love?

Sorry, I just don't get it.
Old 13-07-2014, 10:01   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
I had the same concern - and came up with a great solution!! I bought a collapsible (four step) ladder, like the kind so see on Bennateaus and other newer boats. Those boats mount it on the scoop portion of the stern - which really can't be reached by a person in the water. I mounted mine on the vertical surface on the aft end of my transom scoop. It is ready to telescope open into the water. I have wrapped a bungee cord around it to keep it up out of the water. To test it, I jumped into the water. It was super easy to take off the bungee cord. The ladder slipped into the deployed position and I climbed onto the boat as easy as pie (3.1475...). I bought the ladder used for about $100, and spent about $50 bucks for fasteners and backing plates. I even left the original ladder on the stern, and it deploys over the new "emergency" ladder, so now I can use either one. The original ladder is larger and more robust, but couldn't be deployed from the water. The new one can.
Stick with the easy(er) pi(e)....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 10:07   #18

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Priorities?

You can afford a big 41' boat, but not a $500 emergency ladder to save your life, or the lives of those you love?

Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 13-07-2014, 10:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Priorities?

After a while, those $500 safety items add up to real money.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 10:53   #20

Boat: secondarily boatless

Thank god we don't have the problem of the OP: We have a stainless steel ladder at the transom of the starboard hull, and, should that ever be unusable or unavailable, at the front the two stainless steel cables holding the bowsprit are low enough that you can climb them...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 11:04   #21

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
After a while, those $500 safety items add up to real money.
My boat cost $1000. I am on a budget and cannot justify spend 50% of my boats value on a ladder.
Please don't get me wrong safety is very important. I have been a cop, done contract security, and bail bonds for years and have spent a fortune on equipment but a have 13 years of playing cowboy without a scratch.
I believe in keeping safe but If something can be done cheaper I am all for it. I am hitting the boat junkyard looking for a ladder. I want to run a couple single handed races so I will have to spend some money. I am going swimming today with the kids so I am building a rope and pvc one now. The all rope one was almost useless. So all the cool stuff for boats are great but some off it is crazy what they charge. I would rather have a new matrix radio than a 500 ladder.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 13:07   #22

Ok I must admit I am cheap. I spent the whole day messing around scraps I had laying around to make a ladder. It is a perfect day to sail so what did I save. Well I will let you know if it worked. I am off to the Marina. Some webbing, plc and chain.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405282032440.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	84951  
Old 13-07-2014, 13:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
My boat cost $1000. I am on a budget and cannot justify spend 50% of my boats value on a ladder.
Please don't get me wrong safety is very important. I have been a cop, done contract security, and bail bonds for years and have spent a fortune on equipment but a have 13 years of playing cowboy without a scratch.
I believe in keeping safe but If something can be done cheaper I am all for it. I am hitting the boat junkyard looking for a ladder. I want to run a couple single handed races so I will have to spend some money. I am going swimming today with the kids so I am building a rope and pvc one now. The all rope one was almost useless. So all the cool stuff for boats are great but some off it is crazy what they charge. I would rather have a new matrix radio than a 500 ladder.

I get it. My post was supporting your position.

There's also the $450 Epirb, the $2500 life raft, and the thousands of other dollars worth of possible safety equipment on the boat, so I know what you mean. Not only do you have all those possible items to buy that you hope you don't have to use, you have all the ones that you definitely are going to use.

I like your solution by the way, though I'm not sure how you're going to keep it out of the way when you're not using it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 14:06   #24

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Welcome to my ignore list.
Ignoring me because I cared enough to think your life was worth more than $500?

Whatever.
Old 13-07-2014, 14:33   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Ok I must admit I am cheap. I spent the whole day messing around scraps I had laying around to make a ladder. It is a perfect day to sail so what did I save. Well I will let you know if it worked. I am off to the Marina. Some webbing, plc and chain.

Interesting, my mastmate is similar just longer. Don't forget that your ladder might also double as a drogue and emergency steering. Article by fellow members Beth and Evans:

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/emergencyrudder.pdf

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety  tether copy.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	84959  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:22   #26

It stored nice. I can put cheap zip ties to hold it together then give it a tug and the should come loose. The small dollar store ones. I am going to try it next time. The ladder worked good. I hooked it to a cleat of the stern. I was able to board easy enough in a 2.5 knot current. It wasn't perfect but good.

Tags
emergency, enc