Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 05:15   #46

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats
Re: All purpose waterproof digital camera

Water resistant not waterproof.
They are not proper scuba diving cameras. If you need that go for a professional grade diving case. They are waterproof.

Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 12:12   #47

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340X

I have the nikon aw. A few years old. I really like it. The tough is a camera I have used at work above the surface. Both are great options. The olympus has lots of options for adding dive housings, not sure about the nikon, I have taken the aw down to 40 m without a housing, though I can't recommend doing that �� 30 m limit on mine.

I dive. I use a simple dive light with the aw when I don't bring my big camera and the images are really good with that little extra help down deep.

Either will be excellent. I really think the olympus might be a bit better though I have only used the nikon. I have seen lots of excellent photos taken by the Olympus when diving with others that use them.

Both are very good

Axel Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 12:58   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
All purpose waterproof digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Water resistant not waterproof.
They are not proper scuba diving cameras. If you need that go for a professional grade diving case. They are waterproof.

Yeah I understand that, but if you want to go that route the “proper” way takes you to a DSLR, and a decent one with a good enclosure and flashes etc sets you back over $5,000.
Little expensive for most of us that want to take pictures of the pretty fish while we snorkel. To say nothing about being cumbersome and difficult to use.

However both of those cameras have the word waterproof plainly printed on their cases, it’s not on page 14 of the owners manual.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 13:47   #49

We might be getting off topic a bit. OP needs a compacr rugged water resistant camera.
They are water resistant and perfect for snorkeling.
Not for sucuba diving.
Do look at the new mirrorless cameras. They are much smaller then DSLR and perform very well.
I own a Sony A6500 and my Nikon D300 is accumulating dust on a shelve.
Combined with a proper case it would work perfectly.
Also much lighter then a DSLR.
Old 17-10-2019, 11:00   #50

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just got this bad boy. One inch sensor; hard to beat that. Waterproof to 30 feet.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:00   #51

Very good if you are into action video. But for stills...wide angle only. No optical zoom. Almost twice the price of a tg6.
Also need a super fast computer to edit videos in 4 k
Old 17-10-2019, 12:13   #52

Boat: Tartan 3500

A bit of perspective -- I still own a large Nikon D70 DLSR with several lenses, SB28 flash,.... I find this camera to be too heavy for use on the boat and traveling. I don't want to carry around an entire backpack of camera gear that weighs 20+ lbs. Space is limited on our boat too. When I was diving, I used to own a Nikonos III with external flash. For diving in S.Cal, I didn't have a lot of use for the Nikonos and I sold it a few years later.

Last season, all of our pictures were taken using our iPhones. They are OK, great for selfies, but not great for taking wildlife or landscape pictures. Easy, convenient, but not great. This season, I'd like a better options for taking pictures, wide angle/zoom, hopefully some underwater shots, and of course the boat shots against the rugged baja scenery!

Both the Olympus TG-6 and Nikon Coolpix W300 are similar "travel, waterproof, tough..." cameras. I preferred the configuration of the TG-6 (settings dial, zoom, exposure dial), along with the interchangeable lenses (2x zoom, fisheye). I'm not worried about the 15m (50') depth rating - I'll be using while snorkeling or hiking. If I drop it in 50+ feet of water, I'm not freediving to get it! The waterproof seals are similar -- rubber pads on each door, with a double-lock closing mechanism. From what I can tell, people have problems with the seals if sand/dirt is lodged between the case and seal. Manuals emphasize rinsing in fresh water (with door closed) after each U/W use.

FWIW, the Olympus manual is terrible. A print version of the manual is not included. You have to download the manual in PDF and view on your computer/tablet. There are 6 different settings (Auto, Scenery, Aperture Priority, Macro,....); however, different combinations of buttons and settings a available in the different modes. After spending way too much time reading and reading the manual, I figured out that in addition to the shooting settings, the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons open menus for mode, zoom, flash, exposure and sequential/timer. The trick is different selections are available in each of the shooting modes. Then there's a set of commands on the 'INFO' button and the 'DIAL' does different things depending on the mode. Then there's press and hold functions. I made a little cheat-sheet boiling down 166 pages so I can understand how to use this camera. Now need to start taking pictures.

I think the little, "tough" TG-6 will be good for our continued sailing adventure -- hope to get some good photos this time around.

Thanks again for the ongoing discussion on cameras and underwater photography!

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:27   #53

Do find how to ajust your white balance. Important for underwater pictures. So you don't get blueish photos.
Should be a fish icon for fast setting.
Old 17-10-2019, 13:11   #54

Boat: Tartan 3500

Quote:
Do find how to ajust your white balance. Important for underwater pictures. So you don't get blueish photos.
Should be a fish icon for fast setting.
Agreed! WB is automatic under 'Auto' and 'Scenery'. Under the rest, including 'Underwater' have settings for 'Auto - Sunny, Cloudy, Incandescent - Fluorescent - U/W Shallow, U/W Mid, U/W Deep, Flash, Capture (using white card), and manual Kelvin settings.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 18:24   #55

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Put a bit of vaseline on the seals before jumping in. It has worked for my with my Olympus for 5 years now. Still waterproof for snorkelling and surface dives down to about 20 ft. Probably still good to 35 ft (It is rated for more than that) but I havent been diving for a while
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 18:58   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Very good if you are into action video. But for stills...wide angle only. No optical zoom. Almost twice the price of a tg6.
Also need a super fast computer to edit videos in 4 k
One inch sensor is more than four times the size of the 1/2.3 sensor in the Tg6. Not dissing the Oly; I have more than one including a 4/3 Oly in a housing. But there is no comparison with the image quality from a bigger sensor.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 04:15   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One inch sensor is more than four times the size of the 1/2.3 sensor in the Tg6. Not dissing the Oly; I have more than one including a 4/3 Oly in a housing. But there is no comparison with the image quality from a bigger sensor.
I agree, and not dissing the Sony, but with a wide angle 24mm lens I would think that such a large sensor was used to shoot video in 4K.

Yes you will be able to record a still and zoom in digital but you need to do this on a computer with Photoshop or something like that.

I my opinion the Sony will make killer 4 K videos. They will be awesome on big screen TVs.
I don't think it is an All purpose but more of a high performance action video cam.
For stills, with no zoom, I would use the olympus first.
Old 28-10-2019, 19:11   #58

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to do a lot of UW photography/video years ago when housings were massive. Got back into it recently when I bought a friend's GoPro 4. Amazingly small and easy to bring along (compared to my old 35 lb video rig!). I got a "switchblade" macro lens/red filter for it which turns it into a very versitile UW camera.

https://www.polarprofilters.com/prod...ero5-supersuit

The quality is not amazing, but its pretty good for UW stills (macro & normal) and video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6gqadclum...%20HD.mp4?dl=0
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:42   #59

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

If anyone is in the market, Amazon price just dropped below $300 for the Nikon W300 for all three colors. This could sway the decision. The TG-6 is currently $400.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Tags
camera, water