Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 06:09   #1

Alden yacht

Hi.
I am looking at a 64 ft wooden yacht named Nirvana 1 for sale in Newport, Sydney Australia. It has lovely classic lines but claims to be an Alden design from 1950 51 or 52 in various documents. I can see no reference to such a design in the Alden design schedules of the Hart Collection so doubt it an Alden.

It claims to be a sloop but is currently a cutter, but because the backstay is about 2.5 ft in from the stern it was almost certainly built as a yawl. Yawls were quite common at the time. Any designer ideas?

If not an Alden, who is the designer of a pretty big yacht in 1950? Nirvana has lived for a while in NZ, now back in Oz. It has had a major rebuild but the refit is not original.

It was supposedly built on the east coast of NSW Australia, possibly Newcastle, by either S F Heaton or Heaton Bros, from ironbark wood framing but not sure of the planking. I can find no reference to such builders and am surprised the owner knows nothing. Any ideas? Steve

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 07:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Alden yacht

Photographs? Sometimes a forum member recognizes a designer's work.

No hull number or other ID on the hull itself?

There was an Alden "Nirvana, 65', built in 1950. If you go to Alden's biography in Wikipedia, then down to the bottom, There's a link to an Excel file of all his yachts built (!). Here is the content of the appropriate line Row 861:

861 65'0 45'1 14'3 8'4 69300 Yawl Full Keel After Cockpit Wood Nirvana Harry G. Haskell, Wilmington, DE Henry R. Hinckley & Co. Southwest Harbor, ME 1 1950 Yes Yes Yes

Old 20-12-2019, 15:27   #3

Thank you. The dimensions etc are very similar, and my previous Nicholson had almost every dimension wrong on the yard sheet, but it was still the correct yacht.

However the yacht you mention was built USA but Nirvana 1 was supposedly built in Australia. More than one yacht can be built from the same design but the design number has a letter added. This yacht was stripped to a bare shell so little would be left, and the owner does not know of anything that would ID the vessel.

Nirvana is a relatively common name I think and I assume the name would have changed over 70 years.
I have attached photo (I think), but the deck house I am confident is not original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alden 64 beam 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	205398  
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 06:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hmmm. One clue might be the wood used in the framing. Thre's little chance that a boat built in Maine would use Australian ironbark, nor in NSW of North American oak or spruce.

Tags
yacht