Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 06:33   #91

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: AIS and cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You too.

Mark
Hence, AIS stays off until needed.

IMO.org could fix this. Pseudo-random identifiers changing every 30-60 minutes would solve the privacy issue and still meet the requirements for the application. Boat name not necessary, have the VHF radio work in concert with the AIS (should be the same unit anyway, IMHO) for hailing via DSC.

I've worked in the Internet Security/Privacy space. Some people value their realtime location information higher than their bank login information. Some others, who seem to driving euphoria with AIS, are perfectly fine broadcasting their current location to the world. Yet, others simply haven't thought about it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:04   #92

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't see how the Russians seeing your boat location on AIS over the internet could possibly determine your land address, let alone if you are at home or not.

Even if they could, do you really think there exists a vast network of Russian criminals watching the internet AIS feeds waiting for the chance to rush to your house and steal your TV? Even a single Russian criminal? Or a single criminal, period?

Even if there was, wouldn't it be simpler to just case your house from the street and wait until you leave?

I'll bet you a dollar that there isn't a single case of home theft driven by AIS internet feeds.

This has certainly spun into tinfoil territory.

For the record, I highly value my privacy - both realtime and identity - and have thought much about it. However, I am realistic...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
The transmit portion is needed by other boats, not you.

I fail to understand your reasoning that you will switch it on "when needed", and not be concerned about those Russian bad guys then. Like being a little bit pregnant, isn't it?

It's all or nothing when using your reasoning.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35   #94

Quote:
You must buy a lot of tinfoil.

Mark

Typical response from those that dont understand or dont agree yet think nobody else could or should think differrny. Just make snide coments

I choose not to broadcast my identity because i dont trust everyone, including my government. I suggested that there is no need for identification to be broadcast with ais. What would be the problem with having ais info be Anonymous? Yet you and many others dont have the integrity to address and discus that issue. Instead you attack my reason for asking the question..
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:43   #95
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Any links to actual instances of bad things happening to people broadcasting ais all the time?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:22   #96

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_3 View Post
This may be a dumb question, an impossible question to answer, or someone here might have a lot of experience they can share.

Roughly, how many cruisers tend to use AIS? Is it most of you? Some?

thx
Its marked as mandatory for our pending instrumentation upgrade. Class B transceiver.

Current users have posted on the benefits. Watchkeeping, radar target validation and providing ship names which allows vhf calls to vessels on a collision course.

Also useful to find your vessel in a crowded anchorage at night.

I believe Thailand mandates AIS for cruisers. I expect other countries and insurance companies will demand it over time.

Commercial captains consider it better for collision avoidance than radar.

Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:23   #97

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
I don't see how the Russians seeing your boat location on AIS over the internet could possibly determine your land address, let alone if you are at home or not.
A search by name or MMSI takes maybe 10 seconds, including typing time, and you're viewing the address associated with that registration.

Quote:
Even if they could, do you really think there exists a vast network of Russian criminals watching the internet AIS feeds waiting for the chance to rush to your house and steal your TV? Even a single Russian criminal? Or a single criminal, period?

Even if there was, wouldn't it be simpler to just case your house from the street and wait until you leave?

I'll bet you a dollar that there isn't a single case of home theft driven by AIS internet feeds.

This has certainly spun into tinfoil territory.

For the record, I highly value my privacy - both realtime and identity - and have thought much about it. However, I am realistic...
One should not have to pay SBI to protect land-based property.

To think this doesn't happen is naive and not realistic.

Like I mentioned, why can't you look up car license plates? It's due to the very same reason.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:26   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still think the AIS MOB devices are more than just a toy, and a reason I think to keep your AIS on, so you can receive those alerts, it's just possible it could save a life.
I've read too many times stories of waking up to stand your watch, to find out your partner apparently fell off while you slept.
AIS with the MOB device would have prevented that, assuming you had your AIS on of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18   #99

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
One should not have to pay SBI to protect land-based property.
That's true but why would you not? We had a dinghy stolen about 2 years ago, the cops found it and found the SBI address associated with it. A detective assigned to the case went to SBI and they very professionally but very firmly informed them that they could not give out information.

SBI called me and gave me the cops info so I could follow up - they did the right thing. The detective said that it was "very difficult to find us" even though he had read our blog.

So, IMO, why would you NOT want that level of protection? I'm not sure why everyone doesn't use SBI - sailors and dirt dwellers!

In any case, the ONLY reason I could see to turn off AIS is when transiting areas high in piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I still think the AIS MOB devices are more than just a toy, and a reason I think to keep your AIS on, so you can receive those alerts, it's just possible it could save a life.
I've read too many times stories of waking up to stand your watch, to find out your partner apparently fell off while you slept.
AIS with the MOB device would have prevented that, assuming you had your AIS on of course.
Agreed - but I would also like to see a combined PLB and AIS.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:53   #100

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK. But what's extra over a DSC MOB?

Do you think a boat with AIS on will keep its VHF off?

I think a DSC/AIS combo plus a (preferably separate) 406 device cover all bases, right?

Which is exactly what we can get of the shelf in any decent chandlery.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:13   #101

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not see AIS required to call my buddies - I pick up their number on the radio et voila! You guys do not have DSC VHFs in America? Odd, because they have been obligatory over here for like 15 years now, or so.

When the AIS is interfaced with the radio it sure helps and saves typing in digits on odd number pads BUT then I again I have found most boats with AIS NOT interfaced with their DSC. Why? I dont know. Just a fact of life. Maybe the technician was too stupid or the owner too lazy.

Not to say interfacing these two is always fun, thanks to various manufacturers' willingness to make it as hard as it gets.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:47   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
AIS and cruising

The AIS MOB gives you a lat long and shows up on your chart plotter and is very easy to navigate to. Plus on my Watchmate the MOB alarm would wake the dead. I'm not sure DSC would do that?
I don't want a PLB activated, not if I have the exact position and can easily navigate to the person overboard.
On my boat if your on watch your wearing the vest with a AIS MOB device and the handheld VHF that is DSC as well. Bot have lights VHF auto strobe when wet.

Point is AIS is a very valuable SAR tool as well as traffic avoidance is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:00   #103

Quote:
Quote:
To think this doesn't happen is naive and not realistic.
Really????

I think once you put down the bottle, you will find this conversation humorous…

Mark

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04   #104

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah I think the people who are worried about their boat name being broadcast over AIS because their house will be robbed by russian criminals probably need to take a couple of deep breaths.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:15   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think it is everyone's right not to have AIS. I sailed for years without it. Shipping channels or not, you can put your mighty boat anywhere. And when a ship is coming in on you, make sure and use your second amendment by putting buckshot in the bow. That way someone will notice that you had been there when they bring it in for the 5 year repainting of the bottom.
Even arguing this is a waste of time. Reminds me of trying to talk a young man in cowboy boots off a rock cliff. He wanted to show his girlfriend how brave he was. I just wanted his name so I wouldn't have to go through the mess that was going to happen at the base....
Each to his own. Genetic trimming of the family tree. Darwinism in action.
Let them do it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruising