Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 12:53   #16

Re: Airbnb wants to visit you.

Most marina contracts explicitly forbid renting out a slip or the use of a boat for overnight accommodation by anyone other than by the owner and even then with limits of the number of persons that can stay aboard and / or the number of days per period of time that the owner can stay aboard, with the exception of those that are permitted for liveaboard status.

Additionally, many municipalities have regulations regarding leasing / renting which requires permits, inspection, etc.

A discussion with the marina manager would likely put a prompt end to such rental arrangements if not the prompt eviction of the boat from the slip.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 13:34   #17

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Last winter in Key West there was a 70’ Broward with blown engines that was an Airbnb. It was occupied every night and was never an issue with bad behavior. The rental income was quite substantial, especially for an old boat that could be bought very cheaply and then towed to its slip. The same Marina also had a Florida Bay Coaster that was a VRBO.

I think it comes down to the annual slip rental as far as your year end profit goes. It’s a cheap way to get waterfront property to rent but the expenses are a lot higher than dry housing. Still, there are a lot of tired 70’ plus boats going for very little money that could be put to use with a little cosmetic cleanup. The boat need only float to give tourists the “yachting” experience!

If you always wanted to move ashore and run a quaint B&B, buy an old Burger or big Hatteras and live aboard as manager.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:03   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Last winter in Key West there was a 70’ Broward with blown engines that was an Airbnb. It was occupied every night and was never an issue with bad behavior. The rental income was quite substantial, especially for an old boat that could be bought very cheaply and then towed to its slip. The same Marina also had a Florida Bay Coaster that was a VRBO.

I think it comes down to the annual slip rental as far as your year end profit goes. It’s a cheap way to get waterfront property to rent but the expenses are a lot higher than dry housing. Still, there are a lot of tired 70’ plus boats going for very little money that could be put to use with a little cosmetic cleanup. The boat need only float to give tourists the “yachting” experience!

If you always wanted to move ashore and run a quaint B&B, buy an old Burger or big Hatteras and live aboard as manager.
How did a boat with blown engines get to the pump-out? Perhaps the pump-out was close to each slip, otherwise, how was the waste handled?

I'm sure your opinion of the good behavior of the guests is sincere, but I wonder if it was an opinion shared by all. I've heard tastes in music and the hours it's enjoyed vary, for example.

I'm never one to bet against the triumph of the love of money, but I'm thinking most marinas either have or soon will ban Airbnb boats. Of course, if it becomes very profitable, they may simply demand a piece of the action and we will all enjoy meeting new people.

Other than the boat Airbnb operator making money, I can think of nothing good about the scheme and many negatives for everyone else, some dangerous. I live in Florida and I can assure you that not all of our visitors are of sterling character.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 17:02   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Why not do the reverse boat Airbnb. Clients of mine owned a house with a dock out the front that had their yacht tied to it. They did Airbnb with the house and for every booking they just moved onto their yacht docked out the front. It was a wining situation for them, they kept an eye on the house and made some substantial money as well.

We could all airbnb our houses and move onto our yachts when there is a booking?

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:57   #20

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

The problem is they don't ask for permission, they just start renting the boats out. We had an Air BnB boat at our Marina several years ago. Same security issues as others have posted. It took the Marina a few weeks to figure it out but once they did the boat was evicted. Fortunately it was in our slip agreements.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:47   #21

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
How did a boat with blown engines get to the pump-out? Perhaps the pump-out was close to each slip, otherwise, how was the waste handled?

I'm sure your opinion of the good behavior of the guests is sincere, but I wonder if it was an opinion shared by all. I've heard tastes in music and the hours it's enjoyed vary, for example.

I'm never one to bet against the triumph of the love of money, but I'm thinking most marinas either have or soon will ban Airbnb boats. Of course, if it becomes very profitable, they may simply demand a piece of the action and we will all enjoy meeting new people.

Other than the boat Airbnb operator making money, I can think of nothing good about the scheme and many negatives for everyone else, some dangerous. I live in Florida and I can assure you that not all of our visitors are of sterling character.

Fair winds,
Leo
They have in-slip pumpout. We were no more than 30 feet away from their bow for 6 weeks and were never disturbed, of course the after deck was almost 70’ away. We never heard their music or conversation, the marina restaurant/bar was more of an annoyance.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 06:27   #22
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
Thanks to the Airbnb boat docked next to mine, I've installed a video camera. Two times lately I've found my lifeline gate opened and some dirty footprints on the deck. Sigh.

Fair winds,
Leo
That sucks

I'm fairly sure the boat next to ours is being used as an AirBnB-whenever we're on our boat there are different people on the other boat. Never the same people. So far it hasn't been an issue, but I know our marina doesn't allow AirBnB, so I'm leaving it as long as nobody messes with my boat, I'm not going to say anything. For now. So far the security camera I have on our boat hasn't shown anyone messing with us, so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Why not do the reverse boat Airbnb. Clients of mine owned a house with a dock out the front that had their yacht tied to it. They did Airbnb with the house and for every booking they just moved onto their yacht docked out the front. It was a wining situation for them, they kept an eye on the house and made some substantial money as well.

We could all airbnb our houses and move onto our yachts when there is a booking?

Cheers
I don't even want to think about how much that house would cost, but it's a neat idea. The downside is, of course, being a landlord and having to clean up after the renters. Unless you hire a company to manage that for you, and there goes a substantial chunk of your profits.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote