Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Ahoy Newfoundland Sailors! Let's Meet for a Gam!

Newfoundland Cruising Voyage Report #3

Q: What do you eat on a cruising boat during the voyage?

A: Depends on what your Captain or Cook prefers.

This is what I had yesterday for lunch. Brisket Taco with fresh "boat made" guacamole, lime, and corn tortilla with Serrano peppers and Texas made salsa. The food on this boat "ConverJence" has been outstanding because of a very talented cook who was aboard for crew from Boston to St. John's Newfoundland. His name is David, but on the boat he is affectionately known as "Chef."

David prepared outstanding "home made" meals that ranged from Indian cuisine (Chicken Masala, with rice and nan) to delicious salads (Caprese, with fresh basil, mozzarella, opinions,olives), to fresh baked cheesy garlic bread (baked on the boat, to pizzas (Hand pulled crusts), to brownies (baked on the boat) with blueberries and hand whipped fresh cream. Yum! Each meal was a treat! I have been spoiled!

More on boat food in future posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	151561  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

He ain't in Newfoundland by' if your not eating fish and chips or has a boil up.

Bakery down by the waterfront, near carossel, in St Pierre is to die for. Get there early, before 7am.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:02   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Newfoundland Voyage Cruise: Report #4 "Screech"

When in Rome, do as the Romans.
When in Newfoundland, do as the Newfoundlanders (AKA "Newfies").
That means being initiated into the enjoyment of Screech, the national drink.

So, last night, my shipmates and I went with the Captain "Boston Blackie" to a fine dinner of Newfoundland Cod and Halibut, then on to "Trapper John's" on Water Street in St. John's Newfoundland to be initiated into the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers. This involves learning some local lingo, learning some history of this port and island that has been active since Newfoundland's discovery by John Cabot (yes, 497 years after the Vikings) in 1497, eating some local food ("Newfoundland Steak") and downing a shot of "Screech" the national drink. Screech has a long history. What is Screech? Look at the bottle photo below. That is an old one. Most Screech is consumed when it is young and as soon as available. It is a dark rum from Jamaica, historically traded for barrels of Newfoundland's salt cod. That linkage to cod (the fish of Newfoundland's famous Grand Banks fishery) is important. You see the cod features as the last of the very important things you must do to become an Honorary Newfoundlander. So, how does it come into this ceremonial rite? You must "Kiss the Cod" to the loud cheers of your shipmates! Yes, you kiss an actual cod fish that is named and held up for you. It was fun. We all laughed a hearty laugh along with the Newfoundland chant of "May our big jib always be full."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4217.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	151578  
Old 30-07-2017, 21:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Ahoy Newfoundland Sailors! Let's Met for a Gam!

I am planning on visiting Newfoundland (St. John's and the Southeastern Coast) in the near future, as early as July 2017.

I would enjoy meeting Cruisers Forum members in the area for a cuppa tea or brew and a gam.

If you live there and could answer a few easy questions for me, prior to my trip, please send me a Private Message and introduce yourself.

I am doing what I can to learn the local culture and history (which I find fascinating). I would like to see St. Johns, Trinity Bay, Fortune, and other areas on the Southeastern part of the island. What I have seen online of the coast and fjords so far looks spectacular and very appealing.

I am also watching the weather daily. I noticed it change from 38 degrees Fahrenheit a week or so ago, to 67 (balmy) degrees Fahrenheit the other day. The weather sounds nice and "changeable" like I have seen in Texas and Oklahoma in January.

If you have some general tips you would like to share in public, about sailing or sight seeing in July or August, please do in this thread. If you prefer to communicate off forum, I will be glad to do that too, via a Skype call or email.

In any case, I extend a hand in goodwill and friendship and hope to meet some Newfoundlanders when I am there in the future.

By then I may even be able to properly pronounce "Newfoundland" correctly, after years of pronouncing it wrongly. I'm working on it!

Steady
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Trying to navigate it for a dummie is like navigating in the roaring forties. Not sure the message I am composing will go anywhere, but if Steady Hand receives this message, I would like to make contact with him. My email is ggcgrey@gmail.com. Thank you.
jcgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 03:10   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JGC.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:52   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgrey View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Trying to navigate it for a dummie is like navigating in the roaring forties. Not sure the message I am composing will go anywhere, but if Steady Hand receives this message, I would like to make contact with him. My email is ggcgrey@gmail.com. Thank you.
Howdy JCGrey.

Welcome Aboard CF!

I will send you an email. And some tips on navigating CF too.
Old 31-07-2017, 08:20   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

UPDATE:

I am now back in the USA after spending 30 days sailing to and cruising around Newfoundland.

In a few days I will start a new thread that shows some photos (I am currently editing and processing) and has some of my observations and tips about cruising Newfoundland. I enjoyed my trip and visit to several ports (large and small) in Newfoundland. Saw many whales, got close to some icebergs, met some nice Newfoundlanders, caught and ate some great Cod, enjoyed the landscapes, and learned several things about cruising.

More coming soon, in an illustrated thread on the topic of Cruising Newfoundland. Stay tuned.

Also, as mentioned in my signature below, I am again available to assist others as crew.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:39   #38

Please note that my posted email is incorrect. It should be: jjcgrey@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45   #39

Please note a correction for my email address. My correct email is:jjcgrey@gmail.com
Thank you.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:33   #40

Thank you very much for your tips on how to use this Forum. Really helpful. I see you sailed in San Francisco. I lived there from 1977 to 84 after moving there from Switzerland where I sailed and raced on Lake Geneva. In SF, raced as crew on an Islander 36, then bought my Scampi 30' and raced in Midget YRA weekend races, Half Moon Bay, Drakes Bay, Farralons, etc, before sailing the boat to Florida via Panama Canal in 1983. Grounded for 33 years by marriage and children. Bought a Jeanneau 50 SD in Miami in 2014 and started sailing again. Last two years took my boat up to Shelter Island N.Y and back (singlehanded), and now want to plan a sail up to Newfoundland next summer.

Tags
sail, newfoundland