Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 18:37   #76

Boat: too many
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Night watch? Geez Louise. At 71, I'm in my bunk by 9pm.

On topic, I'm considering a mast climber. I hate asking for help.
Mast climber? Trained monkey or bosun chair and powered remote control windlass?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 18:58   #77

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck Im 75 and I love night watchs! The sound and the moon and stars, the fact that you have nothing to think about but your boat and your good life! Even when it sloppy, night watchs are nice! but then being old I shorten sail before sunset, and Im never in a hurry to get anywhere! Im a firm believer in makeing my boat sail comfortable for me and my crew! Don't be afraid to do night runs, cus to go most anywhere offshore ya need to make some night runs !! Just my 2 cents
Old 06-10-2013, 20:12   #78

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Mast climber? Trained monkey or bosun chair and powered remote control windlass?
See ATN Mast Climber.
Old 06-10-2013, 20:53   #79

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
See ATN Mast Climber.
Like this, right? ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast
Thanks

I'm not as young as Laura Dekker, but nobody on this thread is that young. I think she was 14 or 15 in this picture.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 22:01   #80

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I understand his positive intention, but a guy on another thread suggested I consider what I'd do if I got testicular cancer... I've thought about it a couple days now and believe I'd continue on like I am today. Odds are I wouldn't know until it was too late anyway since doctor appointments are way down the list of things I need to schedule. Great grampa lived to 87, gramma lived to 99 3/4. Both were running strong a year before they passed away... so I'm counting on good genes to offset my bad choices.
Old 06-10-2013, 23:18   #81
cruiser

Don't know what I'll do-- I'm not there yet.

Some people keep going through surgery, knee, hip replacements, arthritis, sea sickness, loss of a limb, whatever.

Good for them.

Other people get stopped cold. Dead in the water. They don't ever come back, and they're done with sailing, rock climbing or running.

A heart attack will make you fall down, no matter who you are. Sometimes you'll live, sometimes you won't. It slows you down when they cut your chest open. Sometimes people jump right back up, go out and run marathons in ten weeks. Other people never sail again. A few people sell their houses, and move someplace with no stairs and nurses everywhere.

I've seen enough tough people get stopped cold that I don't have anything to say about how anyone reacts to any health or age issues anymore. Because one person goes back out doesn't mean anything when you're talking about someone else.

If you make it back out sailing, good for you. If you keep going out, good for you. You haven't hit your breaking point yet. We all have one, but if you never hit yours, that's one of the best things to wish for, in my opinion. The third wish should be for more wishes, of course, but this would make a great second wish.

And if you don't make it back out there, well, I understand.

Everyone will hit a point, an issue, or a time, and they won't sail anymore.

So best of luck to all of you.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:54   #82

Boat: Catalina 42

The biggest shock was my diagnosis of prostate cancer!....I'd just crossed the Pacific, tanned, strong and healthy @ 65yrs. Lots go through your mind regarding future lifestyle...can I still live aboard, etc? Well, 12 months down the track...diagnosis, op & recovery I'm just about to set off for my long overdue cruise down to Tassie....life is sooo good, embrace it and keep going!!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 00:11   #83

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Like this, right? ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast
Thanks

I'm not as young as Laura Dekker, but nobody on this thread is that young. I think she was 14 or 15 in this picture.
Reese Palley's solution (I think he's at least 90 by now) was to always have a wife/partner young enough to climb the mast.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Well re the Tri... multihull idea..
I'm on a delivery of a Lagoon 380 right now and the totally different sharper motion has got me achy and feeling a bit stiff..
Let you know if it wears off after the 750 mile leg from Fig da Foz to San Sebastian in the Canaries starting later today.
As to me being a role model... to funny...
Zee has me impressed... but could not give up my fags, booze and my go faster Zimmer frame (wheels) for chasing the young ladies...
Never catch any...
but everyone needs an ambition or a dream...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30   #85

Boat: Catalac 12 Meter (41') Angel Louise
Send a message via Skype™ to Angel Louise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
If you intend on sailing solo, pick up a mono-hull under 40 feet; preferably 32-37 feet. Anything bigger than that, you'll need to have a mate on board. Good luck!

Mauritz
Knows his limitations!
YMMV
All boats are compromises.
The sailor is more important than the boat...
Anyone who thinks they need a certain size or type of boat to cruise - with some exceptions - is fooling themselves and chasing a dream.

We have been fortunate enough to see 44 countries on coasts of 5 continents during our 6+ yrs living aboard our 25 yr old boat.
We have seen huge yachts and very small and old humble boats in all the ports we have been in during the last 6+ years.
The view of paradise on the water is the same on the dinky small boats as on the gold platers.

You can adapt your cruising to the boat easier than adapting a boat to what you think cruising will be like.

Ie... When we started we were told we should scrap our Sea Tiger manual crank windlass for an electric. So we bought a big Lewmar and planned to retrofit it later... But the 19 yr old Lewmar just kept going. We sold it (still new) for 50 cents on the dollar 3 yrs later in the French West Indies. We did break down and buy a behind the mast Facnor roller furling mainsail and that was nice, but coulda got by without it. My take on cruising is just go, you can fix it later... And the experience will someday make you smarter for it.

As for being old and needing a smaller mono... Though that will obviously be ok... As two middle aged 68 and 65 yr olds, we think of our old slow heavy lumbering catamaran as a Squashed Trawler with a sail ... and we use whichever of her two diesels is working as necessary to keep us going to the next place we get to.

LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST and strive to make this day one your best ever!

Ed on Angel Louise, lying London till end of winter or till we visit every pub in London -- whichever comes soonest!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05   #86
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"¨Stairs vs.ladders and 7.5-inch rise stairs. Bad knees.¨"

First, let me say "ouch". Don't worry, I'd probably have said it anyway. And I want to stipulate that your original knees are the best you'll ever have. However, that said, there exists the real opportunity, with total knee replacement surgery, of having many wonderful days of walking and sailing. Yes, sometimes things don't go as planned. But one continues to lose condition as one lets the pain keep one from doing what one wants.

I am entering my second week of recovery from bilateral total knee replacement revision with exchange of insert surgery. Am I happy? not yet, actually, but I have ahead of me the prospect of at least being able to walk for pleasure and chores that I would not have if I hadn't undergone this. I am hoping to be going home in a couple of months or so, to my boat, and let's just say I'm motivated to make it work....
I have a shattered (broke it in 17 parts) knee cap and torn menicus in both. My wife has a fake right knee and had a terrible break in her left ankle causing severe arthritis. Regarding the knee replacement, it too time but DID become pain free after 6 months or so, though with somewhat limited range of motion. Hang in there.

Few of us are what we once were. What we have lost in speed and flexibility we often still have in endrance (at least low speed) and excede in expereince. We try to be smart.

Last year at the Annapolis boat show I was sitting in the cockit of a grand catamaran with a group (~ 8) of prospective buyers and 2 sales folk. The buyers averaged ~ 65; after all, it takes some time to earn the money to buy a $500,000 toy. I had noticed the steps, like my cat, were all about 12 inches, even though on this boat there was CERTAINLY room for ordinary steps. I told the salesman the boat was suffering from "tall step disease." "What?" he said. I said "Let's take a poll. Hands for everyone who either has a joint replacement or a spouse with a joint replacement." 6 of 8 hands went up.

But what do I know.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:23   #87

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... but could not give up my fags, booze and my go faster Zimmer frame (wheels) for chasing the young ladies...
I had to Google the Zimmer frame (sounded like a folding bike) ... very funny, Cap.

I don't want things to get too easy. A mastclimber is way cheaper than a younger woman.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54   #88

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I had to Google the Zimmer frame (sounded like a folding bike) ... very funny, Cap.

I don't want things to get too easy. A mastclimber is way cheaper than a younger woman.
You got that right! And, I admire your independence. Socially, there can be up sides to asking for help, and I'll get to that in a moment, I just wanted to say most of the riggers I know use a six part tackle and a climbing harness for going aloft. Don't know how you're solving the prob. now.

But this asking for help deal is a whole other issue. If all it is that keeps you from asking for help is pride, then sometimes it can be better for you to get over that insecurity, and ask for and receive help. I mean, if I have to go aloft right now, and don't want to wait for Jim to get back, I'll just ask. I find that people LIKE helping other people, and if you just let them help you, they are your friend for a long time. I can't say I understand it, but sure have seen it. After all, nowhere is it written that I have to do everything myself, or that I may not ask for help. It's only my hangups, and like the rest of my battles, I can pick and choose.

I do have to fess up that it pleases me to sometimes hire work to be done. There are folks out there who can use the money, and if it saves wear and tear on my body, why the heck not? Just saying.

Boatie, sorry about the cat motion. Funny isn't it, how our bodies are accustomed to one kind of motion and not another.... Good on ya, and don't take too many hikers' mints!

Ann
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
A mastclimber is way cheaper than a younger woman.
Not half as much trouble either .
Then again, also not half as much fun .

(Ladies, substitute 'younger man' for 'younger woman' in the above quote )

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38   #90

Boat: contessa 32

So we'll go no more a-roving
so late into the night
though the heart be still as loving
and the moon be still as bright.
Byron
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags