Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 20:53   #106

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Stay on your boat and be safe -- 'cuz most accidents happen in the home! Really -- if you can't do something the way you used to -- figure out another way to do it.

Supposedly Hunter C. Thompson said this. I don't know who he is/was but I like him.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Well, you should he was quite a character. Just so you know though he arrived at his grave by blowing his brains out.

Hunter S. Thompson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-10-2013, 20:58   #107
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"¨Stairs vs.ladders and 7.5-inch rise stairs. Bad knees.¨"

First, let me say "ouch". Don't worry, I'd probably have said it anyway. And I want to stipulate that your original knees are the best you'll ever have. However, that said, there exists the real opportunity, with total knee replacement surgery, of having many wonderful days of walking and sailing. Yes, sometimes things don't go as planned. But one continues to lose condition as one lets the pain keep one from doing what one wants.

I am entering my second week of recovery from bilateral total knee replacement revision with exchange of insert surgery. Am I happy? not yet, actually, but I have ahead of me the prospect of at least being able to walk for pleasure and chores that I would not have if I hadn't undergone this. I am hoping to be going home in a couple of months or so, to my boat, and let's just say I'm motivated to make it work.

Am I brave? not to me. To me, I'm just trying to make the best of a situation I find myself in. YMMV 'cause we're all different. However, I will remind you about regrets: one seldom deeply regrets the things one actually does, it's the ones that fall off the list 'cause, cause.....those we feel sad about. However, if you decide it really doesn't make sense for you to follow your number one choice (there will be a number of factors in the decision) then my sincere advice is to go find the next best desire that meets most of the criteria, and follow that one. For Zee, making her give up her love affair with the sea would be like tearing her heart out. YMMV Above all it's your life and your choices.

Ann
Sorry you're going through all that, Ann, but there are all sorts of different ways we have to cooperate with our bodies, and I guess this was one for you.

I'm recovering from a chronic back issue, and I've recently realized that I'm doing it in two ways. The first is what you think of in "recovery" -- recommended medications, exercises in hot tub and swimming pool, *severely* limiting what I do. I just started sailing again last week, starting on a very small boat, and testing myself on slightly bigger and bigger. Next test will be this boat, heavily reefed and with the gale sail up, and eventually doing it all as I did.

And yet -- I am wondering if anyone here has used a "winch buddy?" Sort of an electric drill that powers winches for you? That could take a lot of strain off my back.

I admire Zeehag for her determination to find a way. She's so determined that I'm sure she will, and I'm sure you will do whatever is required of you to have that knee heel well. Then you and Zee can race each other.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 21:13   #108

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well like I aways say, If I had any idea how long I was gonna live, I would have taken better care of myself!! NOT !!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34   #109
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Well like I aways say, If I had any idea how long I was gonna live, I would have taken better care of myself!! NOT !!
Did you not take of yourself on purpose? I find most of my problems are the result of bad luck as much as anything I could have done.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48   #110

I have a salty 90-year old buddy at my marina that single-handed a 31' Allied to the Abacos last year. Although he has slowed down, he still sails (and docks) locally by himself.
I am 70, and just purchased new charts to cruise the Outer Banks and the ICW on my 35 footer.
Any questions?
Passion8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:13   #111

Boat: Lagoon 420

I'm 52 and hoping to have many years of cruising in my future. This thread is a breath of fresh air and from what I read it sounds like the 70's are the new 40's.

Attitude and outlook on life are the keys!

Congrats to all the senior cruisers that are making life happen. You are an inspiration!!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:42   #112

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
And yet -- I am wondering if anyone here has used a "winch buddy?" Sort of an electric drill that powers winches for you? That could take a lot of strain off my back.

Yes I bought one of these - it sort of works for light loads which I can handle just fine anyway

For serious loads it doesn't have the grunt
It also comes with a prohibition on using it for mast climbing (which would have been useful to know before I bought it)

I still went ahead and used it for that purpose but with another safety line as a precaution. Yes it worked

Currently upgrading the Lewmar winches to electric all around

CS
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:53   #113
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Spirit View Post

Yes I bought one of these - it sort of works for light loads which I can handle just fine anyway

For serious loads it doesn't have the grunt
It also comes with a prohibition on using it for mast climbing (which would have been useful to know before I bought it)

I still went ahead and used it for that purpose but with another safety line as a precaution. Yes it worked

Currently upgrading the Lewmar winches to electric all around

CS

Thank you for the feedback. I am finally recovering from a back injury and although normally I would hoist the mainsail myself, now it seems prudent to use mechanical help when I can.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:09   #114

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no one told me i would look inda mirror and suddenly look like great grandmother....but, then why dont i FEEL old...rodlmao....
True, so bloody true.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 00:21   #115

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. I am finally recovering from a back injury and although normally I would hoist the mainsail myself, now it seems prudent to use mechanical help when I can.
Just wondering, would a 2:1 halyard help?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
What happens if the power tool breaks? Are you able to handle the main? If you have others on board can they assist or are they inexperienced? As an ageing sailor I ask myself these questions do I have the right to put others in "Harms Way" just to satisfy myself. I read post frequently of people abandoning ship for IMO no good reason other than they were over there head. Not being critical just realistic. We all have breaking points as we age we may throw in the towel quicker. Who knows when that back injury may act up worsen and leave you immobile. Food for thought.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

To lighten up a depressing thread, here is a shot of a very fit French septuagenarian cruiser who caught my eye yesterday while I was having lunch at the taverna in our bay. Old age isn't always confined to rocking chairs :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	68424  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48   #118

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I was 68 when I decided three years ago to buy my second sailboat, having sold the first 35 years ago. Britannia was a Down East 45 ketch, which I have converted into a Brigantine schooner. She is heavy and stiff and needs a good 20 knots to move her along, which I prefer, rather than tender and quick. Anyone interested can see her at www.schooner-britannia.com
I have incorporated many devices to make sailing easier, like roller furling on all sails, including the square sail, self tailing winches, powerful electric windlass, two large electric bilge pumps, (plus manual pump of course), and not least a large bank of new batteries with a 6.5kw generator. A major innovation which we didn’t have 35 years ago, which makes sailing considerably easier, is GPS. I guess most people take this for granted now, but just try ocean passage making, or even island navigation, without it. Thanks America for that.
I am just about finished fitting her out for an extended Caribbean cruise next year—just the wife and I, and sometimes on my own.
Obviously, as you get older you need to be more careful, but that applies to everything you do, except maybe sitting in front of the television.
I also bet we won’t be the oldest couple cruising—at least I hope not—and I expect to enjoy my handiwork, hopefully for the next five years.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:07   #119

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Quote:
And yet -- I am wondering if anyone here has used a "winch buddy?" Sort of an electric drill that powers winches for you? That could take a lot of strain off my back. Yes I bought one of these - it sort of works for light loads which I can handle just fine anyway For serious loads it doesn't have the grunt It also comes with a prohibition on using it for mast climbing (which would have been useful to know before I bought it) I still went ahead and used it for that purpose but with another safety line as a precaution. Yes it worked Currently upgrading the Lewmar winches to electric all around CS
I have a Winch Buddy and love it. Raising the heavy full batten main on our Leopard 42 is now easy, rather that the workout that it is without the Buddy. I've used it to hoist a man up the mast - there is no safety issue as long as you have a secondary halyard - just as you should when manually cranking. You're using the same winch, just a with power handle.

Safe Sailing,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36   #120

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
And yet -- I am wondering if anyone here has used a "winch buddy?" Sort of an electric drill that powers winches for you? That could take a lot of strain off my back. Yes I bought one of these - it sort of works for light loads which I can handle just fine anyway For serious loads it doesn't have the grunt It also comes with a prohibition on using it for mast climbing (which would have been useful to know before I bought it) I still went ahead and used it for that purpose but with another safety line as a precaution. Yes it worked Currently upgrading the Lewmar winches to electric all around CS
Some friends have the drill bit adapter you see advertised in many sailing magazines. The husband is the one that goes up the mast and his wife winches him up with the right angle drill combo. For the first few feet he looked rocket propelled until she got the power adjusted using the trigger. If you go this route over the winch buddy choose your drill carefully. I wish I knew what they had but do recall it being a plug in version.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser