Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 13:34   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
...................... However, there is another unseen and unpredicatable factor that negates all seemingly practical considerations and that is a catastrophic or life ending medical diagnosis. ................
Yes, that's where the luck seems to come into play with the wisdom!
Old 05-10-2013, 13:51   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we can be wise and scared and stay home or we can be silly old fools and keep going....
personally,i prefer not to quit, or give up. i will leave marks on anyone trying to get me to sit down on land too long. tried it and didnt like it at all.

and dont even try to make me make plans in advance.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 14:05   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

In the future I might decide to spend some final years with family and not cruising, but that should not be described as quiting or giving up! ....or I may decide to keep cruising. Neither choice is less honorable.
Old 05-10-2013, 14:19   #49

Boat: too many

Final years with family, sounds like a nice option. I've cared for my dad for the last 4 years and 2 months with no help from my brother or sister. The family option after cruising as little appeal to me.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 14:33   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Gosh, there are people in the 70's, 80's, even 90's now doing incredible stuff like marathons, triathlons, mountain climbing, etc. Stay active, exercise and keep doing what you're doing. Don't dwell on the age too much, just adapt when you have to.
Yeah, but that doesnt mean everyone can.... just because you see some incredible 90 year old finishing a marathon on the news. For every one of those there's about a million elderly's with everything from cancer, stroke, or Ruematoid (sp?) arthritis....etc. The odds of not being able goes up two fold if there are two of you.. twice the risk of some debilitating problem.
Just sayin',.... do it while you can.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 16:11   #51

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Yay for Zeehag.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:03   #52

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
As seen below, the mid 80's is no barrier to cutting a fine figure .

Regular boat maintenance seems to keep most us cruisers fit and well. The key is starting early .
Gold Medal to that man.
Budgie Smugglers AND age, a combination not often seen successfully combined!!

There's 20yrs left for my Speedos then to defy gravity.
Cheers,
Mac & Wife
LOL
Old 05-10-2013, 17:49   #53

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, but that doesnt mean everyone can.... just because you see some incredible 90 year old finishing a marathon on the news. For every one of those there's about a million elderly's with everything from cancer, stroke, or Ruematoid (sp?) arthritis....etc. The odds of not being able goes up two fold if there are two of you.. twice the risk of some debilitating problem.
Just sayin',.... do it while you can.
Well, of course everyone can't but there is a lot of truth in the saying ... "age is just a number". The more you dwell on it and worry about it the more it impacts you. But I agree with you last statement ... do it while you can.
Old 05-10-2013, 19:04   #54

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Do it till ya can't?? No such thing! Keep doing till it all ends !! I will still be out there till theres no more out there for me ! Just sayin, when ya get old enough to have daily pain ya learn to deal with it ! and keep on keepin on ! I love it when my Grandsons come to sail with connie and I, They just seem to never get enough sleep!! They keep asking Connie if I never sleep! Im sure not gonna tell em old folks sleep less as they get older!! LOL If I get 6 hrs a day even split up, Im able to go for weeks, and still know whats going on LOL Just sayin, age has it's avantages!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57   #55
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Somewhere down the line there is a ............trawler
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06   #56

Boat: Beneteau 473
Good on ya Zee!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55   #57

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Well, of course everyone can't but there is a lot of truth in the saying ... "age is just a number". The more you dwell on it and worry about it the more it impacts you. But I agree with you last statement ... do it while you can.
Ya... I might have my head in the sand, but I'm gonna do what I enjoy. Seems catastrophic event can hit anyone and it's more likely not less if I'm sitting on a couch. My experience is losing weight, better breath, and better muscle tone (for my age) with boat living.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rognvald, et al,

It really depends on the nature of the "death sentence." There are times to flat out ignore what the docs tell you and go and do what you want, even if it will shorten the actual number of one's days. Everything alive dies, even me. So life itself is a death sentence. At the same time, it is true that giving up one's goals and choosing something different that one doesn't like may actually be what one finds that one must do. Sometimes we are presented with darned difficult choices.

However, there are choices. "Living each day to the fullest one can reasonably manage" while not quite the cliche, is attainable when you're willing to accept that what you're doing is "giving it a go", in hopes that "it" will turn out the way you want, and acknowledging to yourself that it may not.

One of the things I like about Zeehag's posts to this thread is the fact that she knows very well what she's up against; and she insists on choosing what she wants. It may come naturally to her, but it still takes courage and perseverance.

My two cents.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41   #59
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Many of you guys knew imagine2frolic. I'm sure that we all miss John's posts here, often times full of humor. He went out doing what he loved, as long as he was able...sailing Imagine. He may have lived longer had he stayed in hospitals, getting treatments. Too bad he never made it to Hawaii.

Sailing with Cancer- One Man's race against time!

I had the pleasure to sail with John and Melanie for a month, eventually ending up in Cartagena, Colombia. He was an inspiration for me. My wife and I are 61, and have been cruising fulltime for a year now. Thanks, in part, to the time I spent with John.

Ann and Jim Cate are inspirations for me too, although I've never met them in person.

Ralph
Old photo | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 13:21   #60

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You have to consider your quality of life. I am not a physician...if someday I am told to take these medications/treatments to extend my life, but that I'll be in agony due to the toxicity of these medications...I'd opt out and choose the least painful path.

Folks in hell are still waiting for my home-made coconut ice cream! Let them wait a few decades more!

Mauritz
"Never give an ice cream licker an even break!"

Tags
cruise, cruiser