Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 11:20   #16

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Re: advice Install inner forestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO, this is a poor solution. Hoisting a free flying sail in strong wind conditions, the sort of conditions where this sail might be employed, is difficult and somewhat dangerous. Further, it is extremely difficult to get sufficient halyard tension to keep the luff straight, again a bad outcome in strong winds, especially if trying to get upwind.

A wire or dyneema stay with a rigging screw to tension it, or a Highfielld lever with adequate mechanical advantage to do so is a far better method.

Jim

I think this will work fine if you put a 2:1 halyard on for tension and have the jib on a rollerfurler. You put it up before you go offshore so it's ready if you need it.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:26   #17

Re: Thanks to everyone but my issue is

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch007 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

My real issue is HOW do I attach the inner stay at the top ?

Do I have to get a rigger to go up the mast and maybe rivet or otherwise attach a pad eye at the top of the mast for the inner stay ?

The deck attachment is not a problem.

Thanks,

arch
BTW, you can attach the inner stay at or near the top of the mast, It doesnt have to be like a staysail stay. Then it needs no running backstay etc for support. Even if it's a couple feet down.
I had a stayless sail once with a wire stay. It was terrible in any wind at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 14:34   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: advice Install inner forestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
I think this will work fine if you put a 2:1 halyard on for tension and have the jib on a rollerfurler. You put it up before you go offshore so it's ready if you need it.
If you are planning to hoist the rolled up jib before leaving, IMO you would be far better off with having a removable stay and a hank on sail bagged at its foot. Less windage when not in use, less expense, and far better windward performance when needed in strong winds.

Even with a 2:1 halyard, free flying sails don't keep their luffs straight enough for windward performance... not just my opinion, but common knowledge as expressed here in other posts.

Jim