Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2022, 05:15   #1

Abandoned boats in NJ

NOAA has recently approved money to help NJ remove abandoned boats, and the funds are being matched by other agencies. A NJ legislator has announced that he intends to introduce legislation to create a permanent agency to address abandoned boats.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2022/03/as...-solution.html
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Abandoned boats in NJ

Nice. I did a lot of wreck removal and shoreline cleanup in RI with a similar NOAA grant. I hope somebody can come up with a barge/crane/LST sufficient for the job. It really boils down to having the right equipment, once you have the right funds.
Old 25-03-2022, 06:56   #3

Good point Ben. The article explained that abandoned boat removal is a bit more involved than, say, a tow truck hooking an abandoned clunker on the side of the road. Consideration must be given to possible spillage (fuel/oil/propane/etc) and associated hazards and environmental concerns. I hadn't even thought of that, but I bet you know all about that.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 13:06   #4

Good. I hate when the yards turn into dumps.
ShinyHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 21:18   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappy View Post
Good. I hate when the yards turn into dumps.
It's so unfair to the yards. I had a bunch of work done at a yard that had about 30 boats seemingly abandoned. The yard manager said the yard owner was too afraid to do anything about them for fear of some random dude showing up and asking where his boat was five years later and getting sued.

First step is having really good contracts that say if you don't pay on time monthly that your boat is up for auction and if no one buys it it'll be sent to the dump and crushed.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 22:16   #6

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
It's so unfair to the yards. I had a bunch of work done at a yard that had about 30 boats seemingly abandoned. The yard manager said the yard owner was too afraid to do anything about them for fear of some random dude showing up and asking where his boat was five years later and getting sued.

First step is having really good contracts that say if you don't pay on time monthly that your boat is up for auction and if no one buys it it'll be sent to the dump and crushed.
The yard owner isn't very bright or just isn't interested. Assuming the boat owners have stopped paying their fees, the yard owner can have the boats declared abandoned and obtain the rights and then sell or dispose of the boat. Admittedly it's a nuisance/time consuming, but it can be done.

Our yacht club has done it a few times.
Old 28-03-2022, 07:57   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Nice. I did a lot of wreck removal and shoreline cleanup in RI with a similar NOAA grant. I hope somebody can come up with a barge/crane/LST sufficient for the job. It really boils down to having the right equipment, once you have the right funds.
I wish they'd do it in FL. The anchorages are full of derelicts. Apparently a volunteer organization offered to do it and was fully funded, just needed state approval which was denied.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat