Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2023, 04:33   #1

Boat: Precision 23
Abacos Itinerary

Looking for input on my itinerary that I have planned out for my Abacos trip in a couple weeks. We arrive on Sunday at 11:15 and will head directly to Conch Inn Marina to the Navigare base. I have asked for an early checkout. We plan on provisioning ourselves and I know Maxwell's closes at 3:00 on Sundays, but due to our early arrival this shouldn't be a problem.

Day 1: If we can leave the dock by 3:30 to 4:00 we will head directly to Great Guana, anchor in front of Grabbers and head in to Nippers for the Sunday pig roast.
Day 2: Weather permitting head up to No Name and then on around to Nunjack to anchor for the night.
Day 3: Short sail to Green Turtle
Day 4: Long Sail from Green Turtle to Hope Town, stop at Fowl Cay to snorkel on the way.
Day 5: Tahiti Beach
Day 6: Sail to Sandy Cay anchor and snorkel, then on down to Little Harbour
Day 7: Back to Elbow Cay, anchor in front of Firefly
Day 8: Early morning trip back to Marina.

Green Turtle and Nunjack will be weather permitting, but say, I have a good weather window is this doable? Anything I am leaving out? Thanks,
jspoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 04:52   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Abacos Itinerary

Treasure Cay and world famous beach
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 05:53   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

Lots of good stops in your list for a week charter in the central Abacos. But the wind direction will likely dictate the order that you will see them. The anchorage outside grabbers has filled in with a lot of grass. Test your anchor set hard as the grass holds up to a point and then lets go and fouls anchors.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 06:17   #4

Thank you. Good to know.
Old 16-05-2023, 06:25   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Looks like you are hitting a lot of great spots, which is OK if you don't mind the hustling around. You could cut your list in half and still have a magnificent time. Maybe develop an alternate itinerary cutting out Manjack/GTC in case weather closes the Whale Cay cut.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 06:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I tend to agree with the above..you are spending too much time moving from one place to another in an attempt to see it all.
Green Turtle will take you pretty much all day to reach, and another day to get back. I'd forget about it, save it for another trip.
Stay in the Marsh Harbor, Man-o-war, Hope Town, Guana, Little Harbor area. Plenty of sailing and time enuff to go ashore is my advice.
The weather is always a toss of the dice, so better to stay in one area as described above.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 07:58   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the plan is as good as any. Not like there really are sights at any of them with the coolest being the art trail at Nunjack. When you come right down to it other than water and sand Abacos is mostly trips to different over priced beach bars.
Old 16-05-2023, 09:11   #8

Boat: Sabre 30 mk III

I suggest also Powell Cay. Nice anchorage, beautiful beach. I stayed at Powell 2 nights recently and loved it. If you're looking for tiki bars, it's not what you want.
Jess
jfgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 09:45   #9

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll def make a back up plan if we have to stay south of Whale Cay.
Old 16-05-2023, 11:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Best plan is to come in your own boat...go where you want....when you want...and stay for as long as you want
Old 16-05-2023, 13:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Best plan is to come in your own boat...go where you want....when you want...and stay for as long as you want
That's the future plan. Still got a couple years to go.
Old 16-05-2023, 17:04   #12

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Sounds like you’ve been there before. As you point out weather dependent to go around the Whale. If that doesn’t work out, look at going father south down to Pete’s Pub at Little Harbour. Lynyard Cay worth a stop. Can actually anchor at Lynyard and dinghy over to Pete’s. All that said, transiting North Bar south of Tilloo to Lynyard can be rolly.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 17:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoone View Post

Green Turtle and Nunjack will be weather permitting, but say, I have a good weather window is this doable? Anything I am leaving out? Thanks,
Whats your draft ? We draw 3' 8" and have never seen less than 7' in the Don't Rock channel, we skip the whale.
Old 16-05-2023, 17:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

The problem when chartering a boat is the limited time you are on the boat.

Seriously, 7 days is scant time to do much of anything, which us why, I think hanging around the Marsh Harbor, MOW, Hope Town, Guana area would make most sense for a charterer, especially so, if there are several guests on the boat and trying to find a consensus amongst them. Kids on the boat adds another complicating factor.

The weather, is off course, an unknown. One or two off or rainy days can really put the kibosh on a one week charter, but staying in the bight of the Abaco's allows for some decent sailing, sun or rain, without the risk of dubious passages such as Whale Cay, etc.

The charter company will likely advise the same thing and recommend the above.
Old 17-05-2023, 04:14   #15

I was there back in 2016, but we stayed on Elbow Cay and had a 27' center console to island hope. The boat we have chartered draws 3'8" as well, so going inside may be an option. I will definitely confirm this with the charter company. No kids and very easy going adults so we are not set on this itinerary. I am the one that is a planner and everyone else will just go along with what I decide.

Tags
abaco