Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 12:38   #31

Boat: someone elses
Re: A new adventure begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Wow, thanks for linking to that! I just read the entire thing. I was actually sad when I read he sold the boat. What a great read!
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 13:10   #32

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Wow, thanks for linking to that! I just read the entire thing. I was actually sad when I read he sold the boat. What a great read!
Awww @&$@!! I’m only at post 316. Spoiler Alert!!
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 15:25   #33

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Awww @&$@!! I’m only at post 316. Spoiler Alert!!
oops, sorry
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 08:40   #34

Boat: KP 46

I have to say you are getting some humorous advice..spare starters, half a dozen epirbs, outboard, better get 10 harneses, couple of liferafts, maybe a spare complete engine, couple of gumby suits, 3 active AIS's, file a float plan and have at least six people with a direct line to USCG helicopters who can call on the hour to make sure you are safe.

It is a boat, you are going down a busy, well protected well marked ditch. you can rely on yourself and figure things out or call for help if the head packs up.

save your time effort and money and stay simple. spare filters, impellers, and a belt or two.

Get off the dock, fix things as you go in an an anchorage in the evening, or take a day.

if you stay at the dock to fix things you will be there this time next year.

worry about the gulf when you get to Marathon or Key West.

beware of inertia, if you sit you tend to sit, if you move you tend to move.

Most of all HAVE FUN!!!

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 09:01   #35

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

All done. Wow! Great thread. Like a good book, hard to put down.
Old 29-07-2018, 09:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Yeah, thanks from me too. Felt like I was right there the whole time.
Old 29-07-2018, 14:16   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You will have a Great time. Don't push it plan your stop well anchorages are few.
I am in Stuart Fl. You will probably go across the Okeechobee Waterway to the west coast , check your mast height there is a railway lift bridge that only rises about 30 feet above waterline. If I am giving you redundant info disregard.
If you need info just ask,
Let me know if I can be of assistance passing thru .
Be safe
Dave
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 06:40   #38

Boat: Morgan 1970 Cruising Ketch 40'

No this is good info. Our mast is 46' but unless things change drastically I'm ignoring all the "waterway" and "ditch advice" and will just cruise around the coast. There is much better constant wind out there.
SuttonCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 06:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have to say you are getting some humorous advice..spare starters, half a dozen epirbs, outboard, better get 10 harneses, couple of liferafts, maybe a spare complete engine, couple of gumby suits, 3 active AIS's, file a float plan and have at least six people with a direct line to USCG helicopters who can call on the hour to make sure you are safe.

It is a boat, you are going down a busy, well protected well marked ditch. you can rely on yourself and figure things out or call for help if the head packs up.

save your time effort and money and stay simple. spare filters, impellers, and a belt or two.

Get off the dock, fix things as you go in an an anchorage in the evening, or take a day.

if you stay at the dock to fix things you will be there this time next year.

worry about the gulf when you get to Marathon or Key West.

beware of inertia, if you sit you tend to sit, if you move you tend to move.

Most of all HAVE FUN!!!

M

I did this before reading this advice but I will say it is the best advice. The truth is the previous owner was such an obnoxious drug addict drunk that I left almost immediately. Both my father and myself were afraid that if we didn't get out of there we would hurt that man and they would not let us leave the state. We traveled 2 days and our now in Virginia Beach. I will admit there are some things we should have waited on.... the dinghy for instance was locked up and not available till Monday. Another is we should have done a radio check in the marina. My assumption is people abhor responding to radio checks so much that after 2 days I still don't know if we are transmitting. As far as the ditch so far we have decided coastal cruising is more our style much better wind and we are trying not to run the motor except to charge batteries to save on fuel expenses. If we run into problems there are lots of paths back into the kiddie pool. Also I was surprised how easy it was to learn to sail we figured it out in 3 or 4 hours. I still learn more with every hour of sailing but yesterday across the Che. sapeak we had it laid way over (was scary at first) and were FLYING and didn't have to touch a thing it was super fun. We have been running hard and making a lot of miles but last night we pulled into a free protected harbor on the rich side of Virginia beach and since its raining and the boat is kind of a mess already we are spending the day here cleaning it up and fixing things here and there and seeing what works and doesn't and checking the weather and stuff. But this poster has it right.... don't stress just go. We don't have a schedule so as far as spare parts goes you could throw the motor overboard and eventually we would have a wind to get to land. I would very much like a dinghy there seems to be fewer docks sea side and I want a way to get to those beautiful beaches we pass or more specifically to the beautiful women on those beaches. I also would like to know my radio transmits.... and I would very much like a depth sounder.... ours says "19e" we think there might be a barnacle or something on the sensor... hopefully will get a snorkel soon so I can look. The point is we aren't crossing oceans and if you plan its not an adventure its an itinerary.

Here's to adventure and all of you wonderful people that gave me the courage to leave Oklahoma learn to sail and have this adventure.
Old 30-07-2018, 06:55   #40

Boat: Valiant 40
A new adventure begins.

Try channel 26 and 27 for automated radio checks. Just key the mike and say anything. Some systems will respond immediately with a recording, others will play back what you said so you can hear the reception quality.

The channel varies depending on where you are. If 26/27 don’t work ask on 16 if there is an automated channel for your area. While broadcasting on 16 is not kosher, at least you’ll be asking for the channel and not for a radio check itself. That will be appreciated and maybe some listeners will learn something too lol.

If you have a smart phone you might want to invest in the Navionics app or similar. Hauling out the laptop every time you want to check on buoys etc can be tiresome. Having the phone right in your pocket is hella easier. Also gives you a redundant system of navigation.

Also ActiveCaptain.com is invaluable for everything from shoaling updates, who has the cheapest fuel, and notes on anchorages, etc.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Try channel 26 and 27 for automated radio checks. Just key the mike and say anything. Some systems will respond immediately with a recording, others will play back what you said so you can hear the reception quality.

The channel varies depending on where you are. If 26/27 don’t work ask on 16 if there is an automated channel for your area. While broadcasting on 16 is not kosher, at least you’ll be asking for the channel and not for a radio check itself. That will be appreciated and maybe some listeners will learn something too lol.

If you have a smart phone you might want to invest in the Navionics app or similar. Hauling out the laptop every time you want to check on buoys etc can be tiresome. Having the phone right in your pocket is hella easier. Also gives you a redundant system of navigation.

Also ActiveCaptain.com is invaluable for everything from shoaling updates, who has the cheapest fuel, and notes on anchorages, etc.
Thank you for the auto channels. I will try that soon. I w forkill also check out active captain since I am sitting here with good internet. So far I have been using Open CPN with all charts... and has kept us in the deep water and on course though I need to learn how to build a route instead of having to zoom out to make sure we are taking the right fork each time.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:52   #42

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonCS View Post
if you plan its not an adventure its an itinerary.
That's a pretty solid insight for only after two days on the water! Sounds like you and your dad will have a great trek. ..Resist the impulse to have a schedule and it'll be a great trip. Godspeed
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 13:52   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
No this is good info. Our mast is 46' but unless things change drastically I'm ignoring all the "waterway" and "ditch advice" and will just cruise around the coast. There is much better constant wind out there.

Cutting across FL to get into the Gulf gets you out of a lot of contrary current and shortens the voyage. Not necessarily a good thing, just sayin.
Old 30-07-2018, 14:22   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I must have misunderstood. You were going to spent a weekend learning how to sail. Just this boat or in general?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 21:09   #45

Sometimes running into things are preferable. In fact we beached rather intently and were happy to be ashore. https://wtkr.com/2018/08/02/coast-gu...oint-sailboat/