Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 13:59   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: A good surveyor does not guarantee a good survey

The guy that is going to do my survey retired from that the factory that made them, he was the plant manager at one point. I know airplanes and not boats, but in airplanes people tend to specialize. I would say look for one that specializes in the brand of boat your looking at
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:12   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

10 Questions to ask about your Surveyor
Old 18-02-2014, 07:28   #183

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

The survey we got is not signed by the guy who did the survey. But signed by someone else. The "surveyor"SA actually mistook a vent at midships portside for the fuel vent which is on the transom. Other discrepancies are also present, as his ruler measures differently than mine.!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 12:10   #184

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thanks for that.
Old 19-02-2014, 16:07   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The guy that is going to do my survey retired from that the factory that made them, he was the plant manager at one point. I know airplanes and not boats, but in airplanes people tend to specialize. I would say look for one that specializes in the brand of boat your looking at
Without certification any insurance company or bank will likely refuse to recognise the survey. Because he was plant manager doesn't necessarily qualify him, unless he was hands on in the processes of manufacture. Is the company still in existence?
Old 19-02-2014, 16:10   #186

Quote:
Very helpful, thanks. I guess I was on the right track?
This thread has been quite educational.
Old 19-02-2014, 16:53   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Without certification any insurance company or bank will likely refuse to recognise the survey. Because he was plant manager doesn't necessarily qualify him, unless he was hands on in the processes of manufacture. Is the company still in existence?

He is a certified surveyor and yes this particular company still exists, as odd as that is.
Only point is people tend to specalize, if your buying a Cessna, don't have someone that mostly works on Pipers do the pre-buy inspection, You want someone that knows Cessna's inside and out and know where the problem areas are and where to look and what to look for.
I would bet boat surveyors are the same, they each have a few makes they are more familiar with than others, so a real Catalina expert may not know as much about an Island Packet
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 17:01   #188

Quote:
He is a certified surveyor and yes this particular company still exists, as odd as that is.
Only point is people tend to specalize, if your buying a Cessna, don't have someone that mostly works on Pipers do the pre-buy inspection, You want someone that knows Cessna's inside and out and know where th7e problem areas are and where to look and what to look for.
I would bet boat surveyors are the same, they each have a few makes they are more familiar with than others, so a real Catalina expert may not know as much about an Island Packet
Perhaps, but it is not likely that a boat surveyor is going to pass and recommend another . So best to educate oneself and vet any surveyors thoroughly. In my humble opinion...
Old 19-02-2014, 17:05   #189

Quote:
Only point is people tend to specalize, if your buying a Cessna, don't have someone that mostly works on Pipers do the pre-buy inspection, You want someone that knows Cessna's inside and out and know where the problem areas are and where to look and what to look for.
Btw, its great that you found this guy and I would encourage to let others know of his particular specialization on an appropriate forum for that type of boat.
Old 19-02-2014, 17:28   #190
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Without certification any insurance company or bank will likely refuse to recognise the survey.
I wish this was true but take a look at some the these surveys accepted by insurance companies.

Granted these are from Canada but it's not much different in the US
Old 19-02-2014, 18:11   #191

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Perhaps, but it is not likely that a boat surveyor is going to pass and recommend another . So best to educate oneself and vet any surveyors thoroughly. In my humble opinion...
That is right.
My surveyor was supposedly the guru on that boat type.

There were so many things he did not know that I knew from reading about the boat it was not funny. Expensive. Not funny.
Old 19-02-2014, 18:54   #192

Quote:
I wish this was true but take a look at some the these surveys accepted by insurance companies.

Granted these are from Canada but it's not much different in the US
Wow ! In my humble estimation, it would seem that it is often not what we know but whom we know ?! !
Old 19-02-2014, 20:16   #193

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Wow ! In my humble estimation, it would seem that it is often not what we know but whom we know ?! !
There should be nothing humble about your estimation! You are dead right IMHO. I would ask the insurance Co. to appoint their own surveyor but if I had the yard manager from the factory where the boat as built, I would trust his opinion about 50-1 over some dorky surveyor with the certs's who doesn't know his ass from a hot rock when it comes to being familiar with your boat. Go with your gut, Mate!! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:21   #194

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
re: A Good Surveyor Does Not Guarantee a Good Survey

I'm an experienced owner, delivery skipper and commercial operator of vessels over 200 tons, althought only licensed up to 100 tons and my opinions of marine surveyors is well known from other posts both commercially and pleasure craft so don't be buffaloed by some insurance geek who doesn't know the pointy end from the blunt end sitting an office in Iowa trying to make a judgement... go higher in the organization if you have to! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 23:32   #195

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Too many folks think that a survey is an absolute must before a boat purchase is closed on. A surveyor should only be used as an additional resource to your own evaluation and common sense. A surveyor should only be used AFTER you have gone through the vessel on your own or with a knowledgeable friend. Identify areas of concern to you to the surveyor and accompany him/her on their inspection. Question, question, question... you are paying for their expertise. Don't waste time on issues that you have scoped out yourself. Really a good idea to get several references from former clients, not brokers. Make certain they are experienced in surveying the make and model of the vessel you are considering. If your surveyor of choice is experienced in working on high end muscle power boats and you are buying a cruising sailboat, you're making a poor choice! Surveys for insurance purposes is something entirely different. Good luck! Phil
This is very wise counsel especially if you are purchasing a mass produced boat (made in the US). However, there are very few if any competent US surveyors with any experience surveying aluminum hull boats. Beware!

Tags
survey, surveyor