Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 20:12   #61

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Thanks cwyckham! Please consider writing a short review on Amazon. Those reviews really help with a first book! Working on the second this year -

Kind regards,

Glenn
Done.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:12   #62

Boat: Watkins 29'
My wife just finished your book and very much enjoyed it, she found it on my kindle and couldn't put it down. This in no small feat, she rarely finds a book that will hold her interest like this book. When's your next?
Old 22-05-2013, 13:13   #63

Re: A fun read about a fat sailor with short arms.

Thanks, Smack. Great story, Glenn. Your COB and Bull Nuke are probably both surprised and proud. Hope you sent them autographed copies. Good luck.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 13:24   #64

Boat: Lafitte 44

Read the book a few months ago, and it probably shoudl have put me off the leaky teaky I am buying this week, but it DID put me off of the idea of a composting toilet!!!

Great book. Highly recommend it. Funny, and honest.
Old 22-05-2013, 13:36   #65

downloaded the book last night. my first kindle actually read half of it I just couldnt put it down. looking forward to reading more adventures tonight.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 07:32   #66

Thanks Mike and everyone else for your kind remarks. I'm going to have to make this a short post as I am overseas and connection drops frequently. Looking forward to return to USA tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions. I recommend the Air Head as a viable alternative if there are two people per head.
glenndamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36   #67

Bought it, read it, in one sitting. Haven't done that in awhile. Never felt so sorry for an individual in my life. Great writing Glenn, just try not to let women control you like that '1st Mate'. I kept hoping you'd throw her over board. Bad enough that she convinced you to start out on the wrong weather window and on a schedule no less. Two big mistakes. Glad you made it back in one piece and are back to the life you enjoy. Next time you want to jump in head first, try the shallow end first and work your way up to the deep end. Takes time, I know, but chances of success are greatly increased.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34   #68

Glad you liked the book, Randy! If I had to re-write this book, one of the changes I would make is to explain more how Joyce's knowledge and willingness to share it contributed to the cruise. I don't think I was clear on that, so many ready are baffled why I "tolerated" her.

We knew there was a "system" offshore the day we left Alameda, but our plan was to motor through it in twelve hours or less and then let the backside of it push us all the way to the channel islands. That might have worked the day before!

I probably turned a lot of people off on composting heads (there are two major marine models on the market today). But I think a composting head is a great permanent solution to the issues of a wet head, PROVIDED two rules are followed: no more than two cruisers per unit, and keep urine out of the main chamber at all costs. We overloaded the unit with four adults, plus the ladies urinated into it. No composting head would function under those conditions. Used properly, composting heads offer profound advantages, the two biggest IMO: the "gas station restroom" smell gone entirely, and no possibility of clogging or breakage. My next cruising boat will have one or two composting systems.

Thanks again Randy for your patronage and support!

Glenn

Marina del Rey
glenndamato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun