Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 13:38   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
A Day's Worth

I walked out to the beach in Topsail today and the ocean looks flat and beautiful. It was a pleasant sight after staring at channel markers this whole way.

If I were to go out at Southport where would be a good place to come back in after 1 day?
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 15:31   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I walked out to the beach in Topsail today and the ocean looks flat and beautiful. It was a pleasant sight after staring at channel markers this whole way.

If I were to go out at Southport where would be a good place to come back in after 1 day?
Hey I am on Topsail! It was definitely gorgeous out there today, I sat at one of the old towers watching the dolphins when I really should have been working. Oh well!

Wish I could help with your question. I am sure someone will be along shortly. Just wanted to pipe in and say hi.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 17:59   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Murrel's Inlet?
Old 21-01-2009, 22:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Murrel's Inlet?
Southport was mentioned but being near Topsail I would go out Masonboro at Wrightsville Beach, its the best inlet I know of for a long ways. We fish it in a Jon boat if that is any indication.
Old 22-01-2009, 06:09   #5

Masonboro is a great inlet. Carolina Beach not so much. They wouldn't be much of a run from Topsail, though.
Old 22-01-2009, 06:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Masonboro is a great inlet. Carolina Beach not so much. They wouldn't be much of a run from Topsail, though.
Masonboro is a great inlet isn't it. When time permits I go down there to go out(I despise Topsail Inlet).

Starfish have you ever been in or out Murrels inlet? Without something to look at I have to ask, any idea how far it is between them?
Old 22-01-2009, 07:29   #7

I haven't been in or out of Murrells Inlet, but lot's of people I know have and describe it as friendly. Google earth has it with some long jetties like Masonboro.

I graduated from UNCW back in the 1980's, and we used to sail a lot out of Masonboro. I still have family in the area. Most of our sailing was between Beaufort inlet & Masonboro. We ducked in/out of Swansboro sometimes and rarely Carolina Beach. The back way into Taylor's Creek from Cape Lookout can be really nice in the summer.
Old 22-01-2009, 14:09   #8

Well, I'm in Wrightsville Beach today. Its about 10-20 SW today and tomorrow. I have something waiting at the Southport P.O. so I have to go that far at least. I was thinking of taking the outside route to avoid Lockwood/Shallotte because the tides are not in my favor for the next few days.

If I had known there was a fellow Cruisers Forum member in Topsail, I'd have gone and had a beer with ya.
Old 22-01-2009, 15:22   #9

Quote:
Well, I'm in Wrightsville Beach today. Its about 10-20 SW today and tomorrow. I have something waiting at the Southport P.O. so I have to go that far at least. I was thinking of taking the outside route to avoid Lockwood/Shallotte because the tides are not in my favor for the next few days.

If I had known there was a fellow Cruisers Forum member in Topsail, I'd have gone and had a beer with ya.
I was thinking about you today wondering how things were going with this SW wind, you hit this area just wrong we have had a steady NNE to NE wind for a couple weeks now, until today(maybe yesterday I lose track of time couped up in the house).

If I had known I would have hooked you up with a friend that has a place on the canal for the night, the dock is just sitting there begging for a boat, its walking distance to the bar and it was $3 margarita night!
Old 22-01-2009, 15:37   #10

Arrrgghh! Your killin me! I ended up staying at the Beach House marina for 3 nights cause of the snow storm. Some $3 margaritas would have warmed me up plenty.
Old 22-01-2009, 16:03   #11

Quote:
Arrrgghh! Your killin me! I ended up staying at the Beach House marina for 3 nights cause of the snow storm. Some $3 margaritas would have warmed me up plenty.
Well if you had to pick a place to say you couldn't have picked a better place. There is a husband and wife team that have that big black top fly bridge(guess thats what youd call it) closest to the road, they live aboard all summer as far as I know, haven't seen anyone on it in awhile though. They are great people, they had a party a couple years ago onboard, and had nothing but good things to say about the marina.

If you ever get back this way again hit me up, we'll have a beer.
Old 22-01-2009, 16:08   #12

I met them and your right. They're completely cool. I'll likely stop in on the way back up and I'll drop you a line.