Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05   #1
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
A Collision Waiting To Happen

A relaxing day of sailing comes close to turning into frack up.

I was in the process of shooting a video (see attached), and did not specifically have anyone assigned as look out. I had given general instructions to the crew to keep their eyes open for fast boats and big boats, however, I did not have anyone specifically assigned to that task. I need to do a better job of clearly assigning tasks and explaining the responsibilities associated with those tasks.

We were traveling along the Salem Channel on a starboard tack. The other boat was crossing the channel on a port tack. As far as I can tell, they never altered course. It would have been a nasty collision if my sister hadn't alerted our helmsman to the hazard.

When the sun is shining and the sailing is good, I often get lulled into a false sense of security. I need to develop better standard operating procedures.

My Movie3 - YouTube
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14   #2
Neo

Re: A Collision Waiting To Happen

As a matter of fact, earlier in the day a report came over channel 16 of a sailboat taking on water after a collision.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Collision Waiting To Happen

Actually that was a Port to Port situation... from what little I could see... and your right... in enclosed waters you need to be on your toes...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually that was a Port to Port situation... from what little I could see... and your right... in enclosed waters you need to be on your toes...
The sailboat from which the video is being shot is on a starboard tack (boom on port). The approaching sailboat is on a port tack.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25   #5

How on earth do you reach that conclusion? The OP's boat was on starboard tack, and the other on port.

Edit : that was in response to Boatman61's post. Jackdale is right.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually that was a Port to Port situation...
Neo was on starboard tack, and the other boat was on port tack. In this particular situation Neo was the stand-on boat and the other was the give-way boat.

Still, it's a good thing that Neo changed course to avoid a collision. Those big headsails make it hard to see the oncoming traffic.

[edit: Boatman, it looks like you've been outvoted!]
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
A relaxing day of sailing comes close to turning into frack up.

I was in the process of shooting a video (see attached), and did not specifically have anyone assigned as look out. I had given general instructions to the crew to keep their eyes open for fast boats and big boats, however, I did not have anyone specifically assigned to that task. I need to do a better job of clearly assigning tasks and explaining the responsibilities associated with those tasks.

We were traveling along the Salem Channel on a starboard tack. The other boat was crossing the channel on a port tack. As far as I can tell, they never altered course. It would have been a nasty collision if my sister hadn't alerted our helmsman to the hazard.

When the sun is shining and the sailing is good, I often get lulled into a false sense of security. I need to develop better standard operating procedures.

My Movie3 - YouTube
Nevertheless, a member of crew DID have their eyes open and a collision was avoided.

I've heard that's one of the most common collisions - two sailboats head on, both hidden by their genoas.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the 2 second glimpse before the oncoming boat disappeared behind the headsail I judged that the other boat was on course to pass the stern of the movie taker... possibly with a slight tiller adjustment... if movie boat had held course...
however he did not and likely scared the **** out of the other skipper with the sudden course change... had the other altered course while hidden then a collision would have been inevitable...
But then WTFDIK...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:02   #9
Neo

Quote:
From the 2 second glimpse before the oncoming boat disappeared behind the headsail I judged that the other boat was on course to pass the stern of the movie taker... possibly with a slight tiller adjustment... if movie boat had held course...
however he did not and likely scared the **** out of the other skipper with the sudden course change... had the other altered course while hidden then a collision would have been inevitable...
But then WTFDIK...
You make a good point. I considered that as a likely scenario had both boats been paying attention. However, due to the fact that we became aware of the other boat at the last minute the helmsman decided to bail out, so to speak. This could have been a problem had the other boat bailed out at the same time.

However, I believe the other boat was not aware of our position, otherwise they would have made a slight course correction earlier in order to avoid any confusion. In the event they could not sail any higher, they should have fallen off behind us.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:13   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
You make a good point. I considered that as a likely scenario had both boats been paying attention. However, due to the fact that we became aware of the other boat at the last minute the helmsman decided to bail out, so to speak. This could have been a problem had the other boat bailed out at the same time.

However, I believe the other boat was not aware of our position, otherwise they would have made a slight course correction earlier in order to avoid any confusion. In the event they could not sail any higher, they should have fallen off behind us.
This is where difference of opinion comes into play...
Had you been on or near a collision course the oncoming vessel would not have disappeared so quickly... and the shallow angle off approach would have only needed a twitch if at all...
The COLREG rules were broken and in a collision you would have been at fault..
Sorry..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:25   #11
Neo

Quote:
This is where difference of opinion comes into play...
Had you been on or near a collision course the oncoming vessel would not have disappeared so quickly... and the shallow angle off approach would have only needed a twitch if at all...
The COLREG rules were broken and in a collision you would have been at fault..
Sorry..
I do not necessarily disagree with you. If I had been paying attention, I never would have allowed the other boat to approach us so closely. Once we got that close, there is no way I was going to rely on the col regs to keep my crew safe. If that means I would have been at fault in the event of a collision, then so be it.

And if we did both bear off at the same time, at least it would been more of a glancing blow.

I think the other boat disappeared so quickly because the wind was gusting and we got hit with a bit of a header.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27   #12

The Colregs are quite clear that the stand-on boat should do so until it is clear that the other boat is not changing course, and should then take any action needed to avoid a collision.

This is exactly what the OP's boat did. The only breaking of the COLREGs was done by the other boat.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The Colregs are quite clear that the stand-on boat should do so until it is clear that the other boat is not changing course, and should then take any action needed to avoid a collision.

This is exactly what the OP's boat did. The only breaking of the COLREGs was done by the other boat.
Seeing as its a one sided argument with no evidence from the other skipper as to what he did or did not see... all it shows is two boats did not hit so no ones to blame.
Your statement re the other vessel is pure conjecture..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:44   #14

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
If they were both motoring that would be true...but I don't think that was the case here
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:50   #15
Neo

I don't want to be difficult, but there most likely would have been a collision if we did not bear off. I don't think the col regs apply on the sub atomic level. That is, much like gravity, when bodies get very close together, it is no longer the governing force.

But, that is just my opinion, and not a very educated one at that.

If I find myself in the same situation again, i.e. with my head up my arse, I will do exactly the same thing.

Tags
collision